Burgundy Help Needed

s*d*r

Burgundy Help Needed

Post by s*d*r »

I haven’t purchased any red Burgundy in years since I found most of it too austere, acidic and dry. I’m sure I chose the wrong ones :oops:.

I just got some gorgeous Bluefin tuna I want to sear, probably Asian style.

I’m thinking the right red Burg could be the perfect match. But nothing too fancy.

Criteria:
1) young (?2018)
2) price $45-$125
3) fragrant and soft; leave the dirt for another time (?Chambolle-Musigny, Mercurey)
4) strawberry and cherry flavors preferred but not required
5) somewhat available even if not very common
6) delicious now although not fully mature

What do you suggest, o’ seers of Bordeaux, er, Burgundy?

PS: the local shop has lots of Jadot
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
stefan

Re: Burgundy Help Needed

Post by stefan »

Stuart, I would go with a Jadot Beaune. They tend to be soft and drinkable young. Clos des Ursules, a Jabot Monopole 1er Cru, is a good choice and in the price range you mention (if you can find it). Jadot's other Domaine Beaune 1er Crus are pretty reliable, more so than their negotiant wines.

If you insist on a Cote de Nuits wine, you might try something like 2018 Louis Jadot Les Baudes (Domaine Gagey, a 1er Cru from Chambolle-Musigny, which should be within the price range you ask for.
Last edited by stefan on Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

As a red Burgundy neophyte, I'd follow Stefan's sage advice and Jadot is reliable-to-excellent for my tastes.

Not sure if these are available in south Florida, but I've thoroughly enjoyed young, lower end reds from Felettig, like the Felettig Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes 2016 -- I bet the 2019 is drinking fine too.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Come up to Maine and I will serve you some lobster and Burgundy from my cellar.

Father Damian save my soul....
Attachments
IMG_1777.jpg
jal

Post by jal »

If it were me I would do the following
1. Stay at the Village level. Don't go 1er Cru. You want aromatic and easygoing, not deep and structured
2. Volnay. Chambolle as a second choice.
3. 2016 would be my choice for early drinking. 2017 next

That said, Asian style tuna for me works best with Champagne.
Let us know what you did Stuart
Best

Jacques
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I think a nice Chambolle or Morey St Denis would work. I've really enjoyed some of Lignier Michelot's wines recently. The village bottlings, especially the vieilles vignes bottlings are great and can be had for the $60-80 range.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I’d either go for a Bourgogne Rouge from a well respected producer like a Barthod or Hudelot or Meo or Lignier and/or open it up to something like Sylvain Pataille who makes lovely Marsannays for ~ $40 that have character; you could spend a lot more but you will not necessarily drink better.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know one village Burgundy that I've really enjoyed over the years is the Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin. I drank up all my 2005s but I've had a couple other vintages that I've enjoyed as well.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I’ve drank a fair bit of Mongeard Mugneret and they are made in a lush, slutty style that does not bother me in the least and Jim’s Ech pictured above is dynamite.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've got some beautiful Burgundy in my cellar, it is just taking forever to come around.
What I'm most struck by is how the value of my 2002 Domaine Dujac Gevry-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes went up in value from like the $50 I paid for it back in the day to the $728 valuation currently on cellartracker.
Attachments
IMG_1783.jpg
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
If you are looking for cheap(ish) Burgundies, I suggest Savigny Les Beaune 1ers Crus from Pavelot and Ecard, Beaune 1ers from Morot and the wines of Justin Girardin - he is trying to forge his own way and the wines are remarkable values.

Secondly the villages with GC vineyards are always more expensive for the same quality thus villages such as Pommard, NSG and to a lesser extent Volnay are better values. Aloxe wines never get sung about though they are great values - Vercots (1er Cru) Is contiguous to Corton and is somewhat faster to mature that Corton. This village gets a hard time in any case.

Having said that, Burgundy prices are getting out of hand an Burgundy Report reports that they double every five years. Seems like the new rich like them.

Cheers
Mark
JimS

Post by JimS »

Berthaut-Gerbet Fixin - Les Crais, Les Clos, Les Arveleyts, or just the regular Fixin….

Love BG’s wines up and down the spectrum, and one need not spend much money to have wine that punches well above its price point (for now) with BG…worth a shot, and if it’s not your style, one isn’t out much money!
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

jal wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:56 am If it were me I would do the following
1. Stay at the Village level. Don't go 1er Cru. You want aromatic and easygoing, not deep and structured
2. Volnay. Chambolle as a second choice.
3. 2016 would be my choice for early drinking. 2017 next

That said, Asian style tuna for me works best with Champagne.
Let us know what you did Stuart
Great advice, Jacques. Too bad I didn’t/couldn’t take it. Just sticking to local shop, WineWatch, I was limited to 2018 Jadot Beaune Ursules and 2018 Jadot CM Fuées. I haven’t collected them yet, will try them next few months.

You are right about matching wine to tuna. Best of best match for me is rosé champagne.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Wines from Frederic Esmonin!
tim

Post by tim »

My two favorite regions for approachable young Burgundy are Savigny Les Beaune and Ladoix. Both have had excellent QPR in my experience, across multiple domains.

But my heart is in Volnay and Pommard. Most of the Volnay and Pommard 1er Crus are fantastic. On the Volnay side, Taillepieds, Santenots and Chevrets have had a sweet spot. For Pommard, les Rugiens is amazing. But you can go outside the well known vineyards and get excellent wines.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimS wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:04 pm Berthaut-Gerbet Fixin - Les Crais, Les Clos, Les Arveleyts, or just the regular Fixin….

Love BG’s wines up and down the spectrum, and one need not spend much money to have wine that punches well above its price point (for now) with BG…worth a shot, and if it’s not your style, one isn’t out much money!
This is a great recommendation. I love these too and need to buy more. I've heard their recent Vosne village wines are stellar as well.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

There are so many wonderful white wines, even from Burgundy, that would be better pairing than some stinky Pinot! :)

Michael-P