the 2014 Leoville Barton has been uncorked....

JimHow

Re: the 2014 Leoville Barton has been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

Yeah I don’t think there’s any further discount on those JC. I just sent you the secret link. I tried to buy the 2010 Troplong Mondot at a 15% discount but they said no.
JimS

Post by JimS »

Ohhhh man - this may be one of the best values of this vintage in my opinion. I went fairly deep on LB in this vintage and couldn’t be happier. I swear, between Leoville Barton, Calon Segur, Meyney, etc. there was zero reason to spend more than $100/bottle for world class quality this vintage. Just stellar, and glad you enjoyed!
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimS wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:54 pm Ohhhh man - this may be one of the best values of this vintage in my opinion. I went fairly deep on LB in this vintage and couldn’t be happier. I swear, between Leoville Barton, Calon Segur, Meyney, etc. there was zero reason to spend more than $100/bottle for world class quality this vintage. Just stellar, and glad you enjoyed!
Those wines you named were I think $50 wines on release, not just “below $100”. Meyney might have been like $30 though

The wines just below $100 on release were wines like Pichon Baron, Pichon Lalande, and La Conseillante, which all came out at $90/bottle. I think those will all be better than the $50 wines
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

My note tonight on the 2014 Barton. Very nice. My only bottle but might pick up a few more of these. Amazing value.

Popped and tried a few sips before waiting a few hours before diving in. Nose of asphalt/tar and blueberry reduction. Medium body and flowing across the palate. First sips struck me as herbaceous and earthy with some serious wet stone. A few hours later with some swirling in a big ol burgundy glass I still got the herbs, earthiness and stone but with an almost crunchy fresh wild blackberry. The acidity started popping and dancing. Finishes very long on that vibrant frsh picked barely ripe wild blackberry. With a more expressive nose I'd have popped the score up a bit. Great stuff. Wife and I both noticed after a bite of aged gouda it was a 99 point wine, but that is probably cheating. 95 pts.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

2014s are amazing values, but then you have to like the style. I do so I buy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done Mike!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

PghMike wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:48 am My note tonight on the 2014 Barton. Very nice. My only bottle but might pick up a few more of these. Amazing value.

Popped and tried a few sips before waiting a few hours before diving in. Nose of asphalt/tar and blueberry reduction. Medium body and flowing across the palate. First sips struck me as herbaceous and earthy with some serious wet stone. A few hours later with some swirling in a big ol burgundy glass I still got the herbs, earthiness and stone but with an almost crunchy fresh wild blackberry. The acidity started popping and dancing. Finishes very long on that vibrant frsh picked barely ripe wild blackberry. With a more expressive nose I'd have popped the score up a bit. Great stuff. Wife and I both noticed after a bite of aged gouda it was a 99 point wine, but that is probably cheating. 95 pts.
Looks great Mike. Isn't bad for a 7 yo red Bordeaux!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2014s are amazing values, but then you have to like the style. I do so I buy.
Amen my brother.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Will the '14s ever really shut down or will it be a friendly vintage for most of its evolution, perhaps along the lines of the 2001s?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The Leoville Barton is indeed a wine that sneaks up on you, Mike. I think it’s very possible the 2014s won’t close down, Patrick, I have my eyes on some more, may pull the trigger later this week.