Would Buy Wine From a Crook?

s*d*r

Would Buy Wine From a Crook?

Post by s*d*r »

Someone who has lied many times? Someone who sells fakes? Someone who sells great wines at excellent prices?

Many of us have purchased from John Fox/Premier Cru, sometimes even after becoming suspicious. But that’s before we actually knew for sure. Eventually he went to prison so he paid bigly for his sins.

But even today there is no restriction on buying from John Kapon/Acker. Both his retail operation and his auctions appear to be doing well. But at least, as far as we know, there is no Ponzi scheme. Nevertheless, as a laundry man for Rudy, he obviously knows he has offered fraudulent goods. Supposedly he has now hired reputable people to vet his bottles yet there are still some auction lots which are suddenly withdrawn for mysterious reasons.

I am not Catholic but I confess: lately I bought a few bottles from the retail side. Rare stuff that no one else had. I still boycott the auctions, feebly justifying the distinction because only the auction bottles have been found tainted.

But I still feel shame. Why can’t I just cancel him? But I am the only guy I know in my wine groups who avoids him.

What would you do even if you do not fear retribution at the Pearly Gates?
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
JimHow

Re: Would Buy Wine From a Crook?

Post by JimHow »

Ha, I was thinking of buying a 1986 Gruaud Larose from the retail store. I have no pride.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I would not buy unless Maureen had examined the bottles and declared that they were legitimate.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I did buy from Premier Cru during the period when there was debate over whether they were crooks. I thought not. I was wrong.

I sent wines to Acker for auction, long ago, before the Rudi era. Since the Rudi scam and John “Little Chicken(shit)” Kapon’s involvement have been revealed, I have not and will not buy a single bottle from Acker. Retail or auction. I won’t think less of you for doing so, Stu, but I’m not going there.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

May this thread serve as the confessional?

I’ve bought from Acker auctions, even after I knew about Rudy, etc. It hasn’t been often, it hasn’t been high end (even by my miserly standards), and I’ve uniformly lowball bid every time. Over the last 4 years or so, I’ve won about 4 cases of wine all told and I’ve gotten some crazy good deals (~50% off other auction sites), perhaps because others eschew doing business with such a known charlatan. The bottles I’ve opened have all been terrific.

I sleep fine at night, despite my misgivings. The shame is manageable.
jal

Post by jal »

I have no problems buying from the Acker store. John Kapon's son was the salesman last week when I went in. I only buy stuff they have in stock and I pick it up myself.

I have not purchased from their auction site since 2014, and my last purchase from PC was in 2010.

Here's my rationalization: I am completely paranoid and believe everyone is a crook so I always think buyer beware :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FJiDF ... mbeSalinas
Best

Jacques
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

There are so many places to buy wine that I see no reason to do business with Acker.

SF Ed
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

I purchased many bottles from Premier Cru. I never doubted the authenticity but I only purchased new vintages. I did find it very concerning however, when I found out the Carolina wine would buy from Premier Cru and then resell it. I wasn't a major buyer from Carolina Wine but that shop went under and left many a friend holding the bag.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I too got some great deals from PC, RP. But then they started getting crazy, they were offering stuff at stupid prices that were obviously fraudulent. And it went way back, I'm pretty sure I stopped buying from them around 2005, with the exception of that 1955 Gruaud Larose I bought in 2006 from the dude himself at their beautiful Oakland store that looked eerily similar to what I saw at Sherry Lehman this past summer. Has anyone been to the new Zachy's store? Do things look healthy on the shelves?

My one interaction with John Kapon was when Whuzzup__ referred him to me and he, his buddy Rudy, and other miscreants wormed their way into the 2003 NYC convention. Oh what a night.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

“Why can’t I quit you?”
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Whatever happened with the Koch guy's law suits, anything?
William P

Post by William P »

I still feel bad about supporting Cru to this group a few months before BK. I won't make that error again.

Bill
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

SF Ed wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:00 pm There are so many places to buy wine that I see no reason to do business with Acker.

SF Ed
My sentiments exactly!