Xmas 2022, Day 1

stefan

Xmas 2022, Day 1

Post by stefan »

Our daughter T and her family arrive late Tuesday afternoon before dinner, which makes Dec. 20 the first day of our Xmas 2022. In the morning stefanJr stopped by before starting work. He and Irena were supposed to be in New Orleans while we watched our grandkids & granddogs, but Lucie's stomach problems on Friday caused them to cancel their trip, and Lucie & I isolated in our condo. stefanJr had time for a beginning holiday libation, so I opened a sparkler that had been recommended by someone ITB.

NV Chapuy Brut Reserve. This Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc was new for all of us. "That's a style I like," says stefanJr, "apple-y and toasty". Lucie and I agree. I'll add it to our list of Bl de Bl to keep on hand. Stefan 90-91. Lucie 92. stefanJr 91.

After lunch Lucie & I went to Safeway to buy something Lucie needed to complete the Boeuf Bourguignon she had made for dinner. We got an emergency text from Irena to pick up some shallots for her potato dish, and on the way back home we stopped to deliver the shallots. Of course stefanJr insisted that we try another sparkling wine that he bought last week.

2011 Baron-Fuenté. "Lot of flavor", observes stefanJr. "It would be good with food or by itself", Lucie comments. The finer mousse in this peach flavored Champagne causes a nice explosion in the mouth. Stefan 91. Lucie 93. Irena 92. stefajJr 91.

T, Judd, and Rye arrived earlier than expected after driving for 8 hours from Berkeley. Dinner was at our condo and we left almost immediately in order to finish preparations. When the others came a short time later I opened

2008 Nicolas Feuillatte. "Almost too toasty, which makes it less interesting than it could be", Judd opines. "Love the zip on the tongue; tart", says Irena. In '08 the NF is fuller than usual. Lucie likes that "the nose is better than that of the Baron-Fuenté". "It is a bit young, but full," stefanJr adds. "One dimensional," complains T. Irena 90. Judd 90. Lucie 93. stefan 91. T 89. stefanJr 90.

Martinelli Sparkling Apple Cranberry. "Tastes like sparkling apple and cranberry juice", proclaims reader Rye, but L. disagrees, "thumbs up, but it does not taste like cranberry". Rye gets the last word, "tangy". Shea also likes the Martinelli, and all three later opt for another bottle to drink with the Boeuf Bourguignon.

2007 Billecart-Salmon Louis Salmon Blanc de Blanc. "Yeah", oozes T, "I prefer it on its own; it is terrible with pear". "Fruitier, nicely done, lively", observes Judd, "it would be awesome with oysters". It is good that I have more, because stefanJr ordered dozens of Hama Hamas for a Thursday pickup. However, stefanJr echoes my thoughts with, "I am getting tired of fizzy plonk, but I do like it". "This is more floral that the previous Champagnes", says Irena. Chemist stefanJr objects, "Some ethyl acetate in the nose bothers me". I don't get that, and chemist Irena says, "I love the nose". Judd 92. stefan 92. T 91. Lucie 93. stefanJr 90. Irena 91.

I don't have much Burgundy in Oregon, but did have one whose age is between the ages of my two children.

1976 Camille Giroud NSG Les Pruniers. Bloodhound stefanJr sniffed the cork and the wine when he first arrived and said he detected TCA. I said just about every old Burgundy is like this. The cork is dirty but the wine is pure. Later, before bringing the NSG to the table, I asked stefanJr to try the wine to see if it is OK. He said, "no one else should drink this", so I knew it was fine. "Big difference between the nose and taste", says stefanJr. "Totally", agrees sister T. stefanJr continues, "95 for nose; 80's for taste". Lucie disagrees, "Love the taste, but not much of a bouquet". It is not very often that we have such a disconnection of perceptions. Mine is closer to Lucie's. There is a nice old Burg smell, but nicer and well preserved fruit in the mouth, and the finish is long. stefan 92. T 88. stefanJr 91. Lucie 90. Judd 88.

We finished the Boeuf with a wine that really should be Blanquitoed but is nevertheless quite drinkable now.

2002 Frederic Esmonin Chambertin Clos de Bez. "Prunes", Lucie exclaims on first sniff, but I have no idea what she is getting. T points to her glass and nods approvingly, "I love that the nose predicts what is to come". Spot on, I think. I love the floral notes in the nose and the balance in the mouth. I hope to save at least of couple of bottles to drink late in the decade. stefan 94+. T 93. Judd 91. Lucie 93. stefanJr 93. Irena 90.
JCNorthway

Re: Xmas 2022, Day 1

Post by JCNorthway »

Pretty nice start to the holidays! Loved the comment about "dozens of hama hamas."
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

That Billecart was this champagne?: https://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1439393

I bought some of it too, but sounds underwhelming especially given the critical hype.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Fizzy plonk fatigue is seriously debilitating for appreciating Champagne, Patrick. We'll give the Billecart-Salmon a fairer test on Thursday.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Never heard of fizzy plonk fatigue, sounds dreadful!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yeah, it is, Patrick. Even Lucie suffered some from it.
jal

Post by jal »

I don't believe I ever drank a 50 year old burgundy that didn't fall apart after twenty minutes.
Billecart Salmon BdB and Rose are usually excellent. I think you should pop open a few more bottles just to make sure and also beat the fizzy plonk fatigue syndrome
Holidays with the whole family and lots of champagne and oysters. Wonderful.
Happy holidays to all the clan. Enjoy!
Best

Jacques