Xmas 2022, Days 2 & 3

stefan

Xmas 2022, Days 2 & 3

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2022, Day 2

Dec. 21 was Taco Wednesday at stefanJr's so we drank his Tequila concoctions. After dinner he and I, with just a bit of help, drank a Sauternes I bought at auction a few months ago.

1997 La Tour Blanche. "Really unctuous", comments stefanJr. The honey syrup is infused with various minerals. I thought it would be great with dates and parmesan. Unfortunately, Irena only had sugared dates and grated Lucerne parmesan. The dates were too sugary and the parmesan too soft for the wine, but we'll do a better match down the road. stefan 92.

Xmas 2022, Day 3

With leftover Boeuf Bourguignon on mashed potatoes we drank

2012 Cristom Eileen Vineyard Pinot Noir. Smoky strawberries and raspberries dominate the taste. "Delicious", says Judd, "I would drink a lot of it. Later in the afternoon I asked stefanJr his
opinion. "I just pounded it down because it went so well with the food". stefan 91. Judd 91.

By itself and with 11 year old Rye's excellent mushroom bruschetta some of us drank

2017 Longplay Lia's Vineyard Hi-Tone Pinot Noir. Irena says, "I like the light style of this". This is pure tart cranberry Pinot Noir that went very wall with the bruschetta. Just a bit young. stefan 89+. Irena 89. Lucie 92. (The scores are not really that different as the numbers Irena and gave are for drinking now. My + always means that I expect improvement with further aging.)

The Hama Hama and Olympia oysters arrived just in time from Washington for dinner.

2007 Billecart-Salmon Louis Salmon Blanc de Blanc. "God, that Champagne is good", exclaims T. Yes, shucker Judd was right the other day when he said it would be great with oysters. "So crisp, and it explodes in the mouth", chimes in Lucie. "Balanced between sweet and tart; perfect", continues T. The flavors in the Champagne last as long as those in the Hama Hamas. Lucie 94. T 93. stefanJr 93. Irena 93. Judd 93. stefan 92 (but 95 with the oysters).

We switched to a beverage I wanted to try with the oysters. We also ate clams over pasta.

2018 Tremblay Vaudésir. This soapy sparkler "is not as good with the oysters as the Billecart-Salmon", says stefanJr, "but is better with them than the Clement". But Judd opines, "I don't care for this". "It's pretty damn good with the clams", stefanJr contradicts, and instructs Judd to "back breathe while eating with the clams". Clam preparer Irena criticizes the clam dish, "the broth has too much lime and wine", but no one else agrees with her. stefanJr 93. Irena 90-91. stefan 91+.

2012 Charles Clement Brut (60% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, 20% Petite Meunier). "Creamy, and really good with pistachios", comments T. stefanJr says, "it reminds me of Baron-
Fuenté", a Champagne that he knows well. I find it sharp and thin after the Billecart-Salmon and Vaudésir. Once I get past that, I taste and smell the lime that makes it go well with the pistachios. stefan 90. Judd 90-91. Lucie 92. stefanJr 91. T 91. Irena 92.
robert goulet

Re: Xmas 2022, Days 2 & 3

Post by robert goulet »

Nice...Billecart bdb is my favorite bottling from them