2019 Gloria

William P

2019 Gloria

Post by William P »

Popped and poured. I believe this was a mid-$30 purchase at Costco. Merlot, 34%, PV 4%, Cab, 62%. Medium purple robe, lightening at the edge. alcohol set at 14%. Initial nose of dark pit fruit, a floral quality, followed by slight herbal presence. No wood notes at the start. Very pleasant.

First sip, medium bodied, nice concentration. Medium tannins present on the rounder side of the scale but firm. This will not be confused for a flabby wine. Gloria will age, maybe a short 20 year wine, but certainly has aging potential. Having said that, like many modern Bordeaux and even Cali, it is enjoyable today. Medium acidity does add brightness to the wine.

A blackberry/raspberry taste profile, subtle oak, some earthiness. Slight drying but a very pleasant finish.

I'm pleased to report, I am enjoying this first glass. It's not heavy. It is well balance and has good potential for aging. Based on this wine I will continue to explore 2019.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Bill
Comte Flaneur

Re: 2019 Gloria

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Merry Christmas Bill and thanks for the note
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Merry Christmas Bill and Linda. Gloria and his bigger brother Saint-Pierre are nice wines.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I wish there were more bottlings with the business strategy of Gloria in other AOC.
JimS

Post by JimS »

Nice note - I opened this bottle in August at a work dinner and had similar impressions….”straight down the fairway with nothing out of place” was sort of how I recalled it though without the depth you’d find from some of the more age worthy heavy hitters. I’m still mixed on 2019….
stefan

Post by stefan »

Gosh, when there are wines like this Gloria available for a modest price, why do we buy many exalted wines that are so often disappointing for the price? In a similar vein, last night at Bar Purlieu we drank another 2001 du Tertre with lamb that was sooo nice. OK, not $30, but then I bought it just a few months ago for around $50.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

So true. One to keep an eye out for in my experience is the 02 Gloria.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah yes.... Memories of The Heist.