TN: 2016 Phelan Segur [St Estephe]

AKR

TN: 2016 Phelan Segur [St Estephe]

Post by AKR »

2016 Phelan Segur
2016 Phelan Segur
2016 Phelan Segur [St Estephe] 13.5% abv, almost no sediment, conventional cork. Over 3 days and quite enjoyable. I have not had much of this cru bourgeoise, but this vintage is the best I can recall. Dense ruby robe, then a nose of bay leaves, with coffee/mocha on the palate. It's more savory than fruity, today. Texturally, its young and full of structured grip, that doesn't soften up with air. I've got several more 2016's and won't touch them for another five years I think. A few BWE (like jal, maybe Ramon and Dale too) might remember my flat in NYC, which I had painted in the Phelan Segur color scheme, showing the 1988 to the designer so the cream/claret combo would be specified correctly. I also had my counter kitchen appliances (tea kettle, toaster etc.) plus plates in the same matching colors. Life was simpler then!

This 2016 is delicious, but I think I liked the 2016 Marquis de Calon better for drinking now. It probably won't last as long though. I'd give this an A- but that is baking in potential development, based on it's tannic strength.
Last edited by AKR on Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William P

Re: TN: 2016 Phelan Segur [St Estephe]

Post by William P »

Thanks Arv. Merry Christmas to you, Jenn, and the girls.

Bill