Xmas 2022, Days 5 & 6

stefan

Xmas 2022, Days 5 & 6

Post by stefan »

On Xmas Eve the family came to our condo for brunch and Presents Opening One. As for libations, some drank bloody Bloody Marys, others mimosas, and a couple opted for

2016 St Innocent Brut. This is arguably Mark Vlossack's most successful Champagne styled sparkling wine. It is bright and full flavored mostly with apples while being light on the tongue from the good effervescence.

NV Domaine Chandon Reserve Meunier. IMO this is not as successful as most from Chandon as it is too one dimensional. It served well for the mimosas.

Later in the day we all gathered at stefanJr's for our traditional sushi and Presents Opening Two.

NV Arnould La Grande Cuvée. "Delicious", pronounces Judd. It is light and bright with citrus and grannysmiths. Judd continues, "it is a lovely cocktail Champagne that does not need food". Lucie says succinctly, "it's yummy".

2014 Philippe Fourrier (sic). The vintner is better at wine making than spelling. This has a wider range of flavors--apples, red grapes, minerals, and toast--than the Arnould. By itself I prefer the more precise Arnould, but the Fourrier is better with food. stefanJr and Lucie agree.

NV St Innocent Crémant Rose (92% Pinot Blanc, 8% Pinot Noir). This nice crément is terrible with sushi, but I like it a lot by itself. All around me agree.

After we finished the important Opening of Presents, stefanJr & I wanted dessert other than the usual holiday fare.

2007 De Fargues. "Oh, god", exclaims stefanJr, "now that is unctuous". I say, "it has salt water in the finish", and stefanJr nods. This is a great change from the Sauternes and Barsac that we usually drink. Stefan 93+. stefanJr 92-93.

On Xmas Day, we drank some more serious wines. With T's delicious crab bisque we quaffed

2004 Pol Roger Winston Churchill. "Maybe the longest finish of any Champagne I have had", declares Judd. "OK by itself, but it hits another level with the food", adds T. All agree that the Winston was a better choice than a white Burgundy to pair with the bisque. stefanJr has the idea that salmon roe would add to the soup, so he runs to the kitchen to get some. Indeed, he was right! stefanJr 93. Judd 93. Lucie 95. T 93. Irena 96. stefan 94.

The main course for our dinner was prime rib.

1986 Gruaud Larose. Too much funk for me. stefanJr thought there might be TCA, but the funk does not intensify with air. Still, the balance and length is impressive. "Amazing--a nose to die for--licorice, deep red fruit--and it continues to the end of the taste, and the finish goes on and on". "Tobacco comes out in the end", stefanJr observes. T agrees with her brother and father, "the funk overpowers the good qualities". stefan -, stefanJr -, T 91. Luicie 88. Judd 91. Irena 91.

1996 Pichon-Baron. "Brett in the nose", Judd declares, agreeing with what Irena had already stated, "and a touch of menthol", Irena continues. stefanJr and I look at each other with disbelief. He asks, "are we drinking the same wine?" Lots of licorice and cassis in this traditional styled and classy Pauillac, but Judd, who loves CdP, complains, "CdP". Irena corrects the impression she gave with her earlier comment, "I love this wine". stefan 95. Lucie 92. stefanJr 95. Irean 92. Judd 89. T 94.

With Lucie's apple tart we finished off the 07 de Fargues from the night before and most of another sticky.

2007 De Fargues. "Very syrupy", says Irena, "and wonderful bitterness in the aftertaste". Lucie agrees. Lucie 91. T 91-92. Irena 92. Judd 92.

2003 Rieussec. I was glad that stefanJr still had a bottle of this long time family favorite. The Rieussec is as unctuous as the de Fargues. It has traded the flamboyance it had in its youth for a more classical mineral style, but with oranges, persimmons, and star jasmine. stefanJr says, "when I eat the tart with the Rieussec, it is like crème brûlée". "Honey", Lucie says concisely. stefan 95. Lucie 92. Judd 92. stefanJr 94. Irena 94.

Happy Holidays, BWEers!
Blanquito

Re: Xmas 2022, Days 5 & 6

Post by Blanquito »

Great notes. I seriously dig all of 04 champagne I’ve had, especially the chardonnay dominated cuvées, sounds like the Winnie is fantastic.

I’m quite piqued at your 96 Baron note, as I gave up on this one and unloaded my bottles a while back thinking it a whiff in the context of the vintage (I doubled down on the 96 Comtessa instead).
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nice notes stefan

Blanquito I am maybe to blame for your disposal of Baron for Comtessa 96…I got rid of my 96 Barons on the basis it was not in the same league as the (super second) competition…last time side by side 15 months ago the Baron was v strong against an uncharacteristically out of sorts Comtessa…but I stand by my judgement…albeit with less conviction…Baron was a bit off the pace in the 90s after strong showing in 88-90….but having said that the 90s Barons have aged - and come of age - well.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Patrick & Ian and all others.

As you can see, the Baron was controversial. Perhaps there is something in it that is perceived by some but not by stefanJr and me. I was puzzled also by the different reactions to the '86 Gruaud, which stefanJr and I refused to rate (I know that this can be a 95 pointer).
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice notes, again. I probably had the 1986 Gruaud Larose 4 times. I remember bringing 2 bottles at a BWE convention, one was glorious, the other just correct.

Please, stop having doubts about any 1996 Médoc!
JimS

Post by JimS »

Blanquito wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:41 pm Great notes. I seriously dig all of 04 champagne I’ve had, especially the chardonnay dominated cuvées, sounds like the Winnie is fantastic.

I’m quite piqued at your 96 Baron note, as I gave up on this one and unloaded my bottles a while back thinking it a whiff in the context of the vintage (I doubled down on the 96 Comtessa instead).

Wise - I don’t know why but I find the 95 Baron to be head and shoulders above the 96….although 1996 Lalande is fantastic and still has a lot more of the goods to show (imo).
stefan

Post by stefan »

JimS, I thought about pairing a '95 Baron with the '96, but I was afraid that the '95 might overshadow the '96. After this great showing of the '96 and the problematic '86 Gruaud, I wish I had done the other pairing.