Mmmm, Jacques, I'm loving this 2019 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains....

JimHow

Mmmm, Jacques, I'm loving this 2019 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains....

Post by JimHow »

I bought a few of these based entirely on your recommendation, Jacques, I'm pretty sure this is my first encounter with this estate.
I decided to uncork one to see if I wanted to buy more. The answer is an enthusiastic "yes!"
This is a style that really appeals to me.
Blanquito

Re: Mmmm, Jacques, I'm loving this 2019 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains....

Post by Blanquito »

Hell yeah, I like what I’m hearing. Jacques or anyone, how’s the 2017 of this? I see the 17 at a shop I’m building a case at, so tempting.
Winona Chief

Re: Mmmm, Jacques, I'm loving this 2019 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains....

Post by Winona Chief »

The 2015 of this is wonderful!

Chris Bublitz
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Pavelot is a great Savigny producer.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’ll bet this would be a good option for Stuart with his tuna, it is so delicious and accessible even in its youth.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

A huge favorite of ours. Such a consistent producer and one that offers a wide drinking window. I wager we have more of this producer in the cellar than any other in Burgundy. I like Bize as well but the wines have out-paced their quality/value. For a mere $50, why buy another producer?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

RPCV wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:00 pm A huge favorite of ours. Such a consistent producer and one that offers a wide drinking window. I wager we have more of this producer in the cellar than any other in Burgundy. I like Bize as well but the wines have out-paced their quality/value. For a mere $50, why buy another producer?
Have you been drinking this producer for a while? How do they age? I have a 2010 and 2012 of different bottlings from them that I should probably consider opening at this point. So easy to forget about wine sometimes..
jal

Post by jal »

Pavelot and Guillemot are my favorite Savigny producers, I'm so glad you liked it.
I loved the 2017 Village, Patrick, I have not had any of the 1ers.
And they age and improve! A 1998 Guillemot drank a year ago was delicious.
As I said many times before, red Burgundy has been on a roll since 2004, I can't remember one bad year since and even the 2004s are getting better. Only vintage I would avoid is the heralded 2005 which is taking so long to come around.
Best

Jacques
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

JoelD wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:32 pm
RPCV wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:00 pm A huge favorite of ours. Such a consistent producer and one that offers a wide drinking window. I wager we have more of this producer in the cellar than any other in Burgundy. I like Bize as well but the wines have out-paced their quality/value. For a mere $50, why buy another producer?
Have you been drinking this producer for a while? How do they age? I have a 2010 and 2012 of different bottlings from them that I should probably consider opening at this point. So easy to forget about wine sometimes..
Yes, been drinking these since the early 90's. Becky Wasserman (RIP) used to import these and she turned me on to them. They age very well. In the best vintages you can keep these for up to 15-20 years. Dominodes is the most long lived but I'm a Gravains fan. The entire line up is good though and you can confidently drink these on release or cellar for up to 20 years in the best vintages.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

My three favorite producers in order are Ecard, Pavelot and Bize. All have a capacity to age. I seem to remember there are some 1993 Ecard Serpentiere at Belmont for around $100, which may be a lot for a Savigny but can be enjoyed immediately.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Musigny 151 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:38 pm My three favorite producers in order are Ecard, Pavelot and Bize. All have a capacity to age. I seem to remember there are some 1993 Ecard Serpentiere at Belmont for around $100, which may be a lot for a Savigny but can be enjoyed immediately.
Love Bize but they are also a little pricier nowadays.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

So, curious, how would this Savigny fare against at ~$50 Felettig Chambolle, say the 2019 VV?
marcs

Post by marcs »

Blanquito wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:28 am So, curious, how would this Savigny fare against at ~$50 Felettig Chambolle, say the 2019 VV?
I think this is the kind of question another person cannot answer for you. Only you can say if you prefer Savigny to Chambolle. For me, I had some of the 2005 Pavelot Dominode and while I recognized it as an excellent, substantial wine it had a kind of herbal/tart/earthy edge to my palate that didn’t let me warm up to it. By contrast I tend to have a soft spot for Chambolle which I find more delicate and sweeter. But that’s just me.

I did get the sense in my experience with Pavelot that it’s more comparable to a good Gevrey village than a cotes de nuits premier cru. So think about whether you would prefer a good Gevrey village to a Chambolle village…

P.s. I see I still have two bottles of the 2005 Pavelot Guettes left…have to crack one this winter and check it out
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

lol...
Marcus... what is your perfect wine?
What is your desert island wine, a meteor is going to hit the earth, what are you going to uncork?
Do you consider yourself a wine enthusiast, or perhaps a wine nitpicker, a mr negativity?
If you love wine, what is your MUST HAVE wine?
In all the years I've known you, I'm not sure I know the answer.
What is your 1989 Lynch Bages?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve gone through phases where wine appreciation starts to feel more like wine negativity, where that dazzling sweet spot wine can attain grows narrower and narrower. It’s not a good mindset to end up in, even if it originates from the noblest passion, the urge, no, the need to understand, to analyze, to describe, to categorize, to commune, to grok, to know a wine. But too much of this intellectualization can eventually strip it all of the visceral, hedonistic, sensory experience that made us all fall for wine in the first place.

Fortunately, these bleak, dreary phases have always passed quickly for me, and morphed into something else. Too much great wine in quick succession can trigger it though, leaving subsequent wine experiences for a time thereafter anticlimactic.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

In the end, wine, like baseball, should not be a negative experience.
We can bitch about free agency, or the pitch count.
We can bitch about Parkerization, or alcohol levels.
But in the end, wine and baseball are very beautiful complements to our daily existence.
The positives exponentially outnumber the negatives. Life is good!
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

A nice little brief on Pavelots' style and winemaking as well as a look at the 2020 vintage:

https://winedecoded.com.au/product/doma ... half-2020/
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks RP, this has all been a real revelation for me.
I've been obsessing about this wine since I tried that 2019 Aux Gravains the other night.
Last night I sampled the 2019 Dominode and was floored by it as well.
Like you said, at this price point, this really is an amazing value.
I'm really going to be getting a lot more of this into my cellar.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:51 am lol...
Marcus... what is your perfect wine?
What is your desert island wine, a meteor is going to hit the earth, what are you going to uncork?
Do you consider yourself a wine enthusiast, or perhaps a wine nitpicker, a mr negativity?
If you love wine, what is your MUST HAVE wine?
In all the years I've known you, I'm not sure I know the answer.
What is your 1989 Lynch Bages?
Wait, being ultra-enthusiastic about Pavelot is a requirement for being a Bordeaux wine enthusiast? A Savigny? Can’t we even make our litmus test wine a Bordeaux? (I suggest GPL!)

This board is full of my enthusiastic notes about various wines. At the very same time as I posed in this thread I was off in another thread being enthusiastic about the 2000 Montrose. I am very happy being judgmental about wines, thank you. If we didn’t have strong personal preferences in the wines we drink what we do wouldn’t make any sense.

With that said, as I indicated above, from my experience Pavelot is indeed a high quality wine especially for the price. It just didn’t match my own palate that well when I tried it. I’ll report back on the 2005 Guettes sometime though
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol....
I'm just giving you the business.
Your opinions are animated, passionate, and enthusiastic.
You are indeed... a Bordeaux wine Enthusiast.
Anxious to see what your '89 Lynch is though....
marcs

Post by marcs »

Blanquito wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:32 am I’ve gone through phases where wine appreciation starts to feel more like wine negativity, where that dazzling sweet spot wine can attain grows narrower and narrower. It’s not a good mindset to end up in, even if it originates from the noblest passion, the urge, no, the need to understand, to analyze, to describe, to categorize, to commune, to grok, to know a wine. But too much of this intellectualization can eventually strip it all of the visceral, hedonistic, sensory experience that made us all fall for wine in the first place.

Fortunately, these bleak, dreary phases have always passed quickly for me, and morphed into something else. Too much great wine in quick succession can trigger it though, leaving subsequent wine experiences for a time thereafter anticlimactic.
I don’t find this trade off between sensual appreciation and intellectual critique exists at all for me. For me, analyzing whether I enjoy a wine and why does not interfere with appreciation and in fact heightens it. If I go through a run of wines I don’t enjoy for whatever reason, then it just creates that much more pleasure in the next wine that I do enjoy. If I couldn’t criticize wines I would enjoy the whole experience less.

It may help that by now I have a good sense of what I like and rarely have to wait too long between enjoyable wine experiences.

That’s not to say I don’t sometimes burn out on wine and have to take a break. Ironically that tends to happen when I’ve had too many great wines in a row and they all start to blur together, so I lose the sensory and mental “space” for full appreciation and, yes, critique. Usually have to take a break after BWE conventions LOL
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’m with Marcus on this. A run of meh wines doesn’t make me less enthusiastic about wine in general. It heightens my desire for and enjoyment of the next more exciting wine.

A run of orgasmic wines, however, can lead to a refractory period where the next great wine doesn’t stand out as much.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I guess another way to say it is, I’ve gone some (mercifully short lived) phases where what stood out to me were a wine’s flaws rather than its features. A good wine had fewer flaws than an ok wine. There was a somm in our wine group for a little while who always approached wine that way, I was very joyless.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

DavidG wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:53 pm A run of orgasmic wines, however, can lead to a refractory period where the next great wine doesn’t stand UP as much.
FIFY.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

s*d*r wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:26 pm
DavidG wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:53 pm A run of orgasmic wines, however, can lead to a refractory period where the next great wine doesn’t stand UP as much.
FIFY.
LOL Stu, that's hard to beat.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

jckba wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:14 am
Musigny 151 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:38 pm My three favorite producers in order are Ecard, Pavelot and Bize. All have a capacity to age. I seem to remember there are some 1993 Ecard Serpentiere at Belmont for around $100, which may be a lot for a Savigny but can be enjoyed immediately.
Love Bize but they are also a little pricier nowadays.
I was thinking of putting one into the tasting. The cost of the one bottle would be almost as much as the fourteen bottles slated for the tasting.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I just grabbed a few of these to try:
2019 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru Aux Guettes x 1
2017 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru Aux Guettes x 1
2017 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru Aux Gravains x 1

Any decanting advice?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very well done indeed, Patrick. I'm buying a bunch more myself.
jal

Post by jal »

I don't have much experience with young Pavelot 1ers. Burghound says the 2017 Guettes is more giving than expected, the 2017 Gravains will need a bit of time, and the 2019 Guettes is quite austere.
Decanting may not help much but it can't hurt
Best

Jacques
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Blanquito wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:43 pm I just grabbed a few of these to try:
2019 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru Aux Guettes x 1
2017 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru Aux Guettes x 1
2017 Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er cru Aux Gravains x 1

Any decanting advice?
I prefer to open, pour into a glass and wait an hour prior to consumption versus decanting. All personal preference however, as I tend to like a little grip in my red burgundy.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Got my 3 bottles of Pavelot delivered today!

Might try one this weekend.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My mixed case is arriving tomorrow from MacArthur's, I'm excited!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

If interested, this article by Asimov is informative... Asimov doesn’t mention, but IIRC, decades ago, some Savigny producers used to blend reds with even the whites :o , which contributed to consumers not taking it seriously at that time...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/16/dini ... gundy.html
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for posting CV, these wines check off a lot of boxes for me when it comes to red Burgundy.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Anyone tried Domaine Pavelot Savigny les Beaune La Dominode 1er Cru, 2019?

You don’t see this producer here, so pulled the trigger but I am still going to ask the question
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I had it a couple weeks ago, it was excellent.
I have more being delivered today.
I get the sense it will require a little more time to reach its peak than the Aux Gravains, but I loved it.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks Jim.

Burghound reckons you should cellar these and forget about them:

Domaine Pavelot Savigny les Beaune La Dominode 1er Cru, 2019 (10 cases available)
6x75cl £180 IB
Two-thirds of the vines are between 70 and 80 years of age and the remaining vines are approximately 20+ years old). A perfumed, ripe and cool nose features notes of red currant, black raspberry, violet and a hint of sandalwood. There is very fine mid-palate density with an abundance of sappy dry extract to the velvety and mouth coating flavors that flash good minerality on the powerful, balanced and hugely long finish. This is marvelous but it's also a buy and forget you own it wine. Sweet spot/Outstanding'. 92 to 94 points, Allen Meadows, Burghound, (Drink: 2036+)

I tasted various component parts of this flagship cuvée, but here is the note on the blend, which as so often was greater than the sum of its parts. The combination gave a jaunty lively dense yet fresh red fruit, with a touch of spice seasoning the intensity of the fruit, which is supported by a firm, but entirely integrated tannic backdrop. 91-93 points Jasper Morris MW, Inside Burgundy
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My 2019-2020 Pavelot stash has arrived, the 2019 Montrose due tomorrow.
Writing my fourth of four Maine Supreme Court briefs due this month, barely time to change my dirty underwear.
Working hard and playing hard.
Life is good....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:38 pm Thanks Jim.

Burghound reckons you should cellar these and forget about them:

Domaine Pavelot Savigny les Beaune La Dominode 1er Cru, 2019 (10 cases available)
6x75cl £180 IB
Two-thirds of the vines are between 70 and 80 years of age and the remaining vines are approximately 20+ years old). A perfumed, ripe and cool nose features notes of red currant, black raspberry, violet and a hint of sandalwood. There is very fine mid-palate density with an abundance of sappy dry extract to the velvety and mouth coating flavors that flash good minerality on the powerful, balanced and hugely long finish. This is marvelous but it's also a buy and forget you own it wine. Sweet spot/Outstanding'. 92 to 94 points, Allen Meadows, Burghound, (Drink: 2036+)
Man, wait for 13+ years to start drinking?!

Remind me, why are we buying current releases?
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Had many a Pavelot and drink them with great pleasure across a wide window. No need to wait that long, IMHO