Mmmm, Jacques, I'm loving this 2019 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains....

DavidG

Re: Mmmm, Jacques, I'm loving this 2019 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains....

Post by DavidG »

Blanquito wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 pm
Comte Flaneur wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:38 pm Thanks Jim.

Burghound reckons you should cellar these and forget about them:

Domaine Pavelot Savigny les Beaune La Dominode 1er Cru, 2019 (10 cases available)
6x75cl £180 IB
Two-thirds of the vines are between 70 and 80 years of age and the remaining vines are approximately 20+ years old). A perfumed, ripe and cool nose features notes of red currant, black raspberry, violet and a hint of sandalwood. There is very fine mid-palate density with an abundance of sappy dry extract to the velvety and mouth coating flavors that flash good minerality on the powerful, balanced and hugely long finish. This is marvelous but it's also a buy and forget you own it wine. Sweet spot/Outstanding'. 92 to 94 points, Allen Meadows, Burghound, (Drink: 2036+)
Man, wait for 13+ years to start drinking?!

Remind me, why are we buying current releases?

So we’ll have something good to drink in 2036, when they’ll be going for $500/bottle?
jal

Re: Mmmm, Jacques, I'm loving this 2019 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains....

Post by jal »

These don't get too expensive when older. I bought at Winebid a bottle of 2001 Pavelot Dominodes for $61 (before all fees) in August '21.

I think you can definitely enjoy young, Patrick. No need for 2-3 blanquitos, Blanquito. There are no harsh tannins a la Medoc, the wine will change with age, but that is a matter of taste, I like them old and young but I'm turning into a grumpy impatient old man, so I tend to drink them on the young side.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

I'm with you on that, Jacques. Young Burgundies can be quite good, while, for my taste, young Bordeaux is not a good beverage.

I also like old Burgundies. Best for me is when it reaches full maturity with fruit and tannins perfectly balanced and has a nose to die for. In my experience, that window is shorter for Burgundy than for Bordeaux even if Burgundy can live just as long.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll never forget one of the BWE conventions, I don't remember which city we were in, but it was the convention either just before or just after I selected the 2005 Burgundy vintage as the BWE (protest) wine of the year. I had lined up a bunch of 2005s in my hotel room, and we did a pre-Friday night dinner tasting. It would've probably been around 2008.... The 2005s were not showing well that night, they were, um, a bit stern. And I'll never forget HM$ -- not a fan of the wines of Bourgogne -- turning to me with a grimacing look and saying: "You call this good?"
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:20 pm I'll never forget one of the BWE conventions, I don't remember which city we were in, but it was the convention either just before or just after I selected the 2005 Burgundy vintage as the BWE (protest) wine of the year. I had lined up a bunch of 2005s in my hotel room, and we did a pre-Friday night dinner tasting. It would've probably been around 2008.... The 2005s were not showing well that night, they were, um, a bit stern. And I'll never forget HM$ -- not a fan of the wines of Bourgogne -- turning to me with a grimacing look and saying: "You call this good?"
That was my first Convention, it was DC, for some reason I thought that was 07?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It would’ve been the spring, I know we did Sonoma in ‘06, it was either 2007 or 2008, but do you think the 2005 Burgundies would have hit the shelves by spring 2007? It’s possible.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Checked my notes, looks like it was was spring of 08.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes that makes sense.