I can barely get through a 36 minute episode of Emily in Paris…

JimHow

I can barely get through a 36 minute episode of Emily in Paris…

Post by JimHow »

…and I don’t even use Twitter.

I agree with this article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lincoln-do ... 1672427896

Speaking of Paris, I don’t know if I can extend my London trip but we’ve got to get to Bordeaux at some point in 2023….
JimHow

Re: I can barely get through a 36 minute episode of Emily in Paris…

Post by JimHow »

Annual 15% off mixed case sale in NH, Gerry, let me know if you see any deals!
How's the Champagne situation down there?
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Portsmith and the highway stores might be good but over my way in Nashua it's pathetic.

Off the top of my head the only thing Im gunning for is Krug NV. I dont know if its 169 or 170 but with the sale it would net to $133/btl. That is easily the best price in the country.
ericp

Post by ericp »

I play the good spouse and watch it. The show itself is pretty kitschy but I have to admit I do enjoy the scenes around Paris.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha, indeed, E. I'm a fan!
StBlGT

Post by StBlGT »

I watch it with the wife. I actually got hooked on it haha. I just watched an episode last night where they were drinking an Haut-Brion.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Gerry M. wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:03 pm Portsmith and the highway stores might be good but over my way in Nashua it's pathetic.

Off the top of my head the only thing Im gunning for is Krug NV. I dont know if its 169 or 170 but with the sale it would net to $133/btl. That is easily the best price in the country.
holy shit that's like 30-50% off. Feels like it would be worth retailers from other states coming in and loading up their trunks with the stuff LOL.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I manage to make my way through the episodes. It's pretty lightweight, but scenes of Paris and France are nice. We were on a train from Tours to Paris in September and saw some of the cast on the train (not Emily).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My attention span is shot. It took me about 3 hours to get through the 36 minute first episode of season three last night.

Tonight I’m watching the original 1971 version of The Andromeda Strain and I have to like keep stopping every 12 minutes.
jal

Post by jal »

Your attention span and concentration level are fine, you can watch a youtube documentary about the space program without a problem. You are just not the intended audience. Neither am I, I'd rather just go there.
Best

Jacques
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

My 14-year-old daughter loves it. I tell her to take note of the culture etc as she is destined to marry the son of a wealthy Chateau owner in Bordeaux one day. She doesn't seem that keen on the idea, but I'll give it time..
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

One of my first young romances was with an exchange student from France who came over when I was in high school. She spoke very little English and I didn’t speak any French, but we managed. In some ways, I’ve never recovered, remaining enamored with everything French to this day. Emily in Paris in it’s kitschy way can capture some of that connection.
Last edited by Blanquito on Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Not that much tv for me, so eliminate all the 12 episodes each season, 13 seasons series.

MC and Simone are watching Emily in Paris, and 5-10 min is enough for me. All these series are always encouraging my kids to be bad : want to be rich without doing nothing, want to be a criminal as they don't get it so bad, want to be a drag for whatever reasons... and I prefer a great documentary on Paris if i want to see the scenery...

Time i don't waste on tv, i listen music. Get's me in the right mood. All French songs are great by the way, but of course, a bit sad and dramatic sometimes, but poetic too.

Probably too much excellent dramatic music that year end/beggining of New Year, as i seem ready for a wine buying freeze!
tim

Post by tim »

I watched it. Definitely targeting a different demographic, and there are lots of parts that are just cringeworthy. (spoilers ahead...)

There has been a lot of criticism of the stereotypes, but from my observation, many if not most of the stereotypes of living and working in France are spot on. Same mistakes made by expats. Same attitude of many of the French. I laughed out loud when Emily was fired. I'm like, HA, that would never happen.

The second best character for me so far is Sophie. And yet the young viewers think they spend too much time on her.

The funny thing is that a) it is always Spring all year round; b) it almost never rains; c) Where is the dog poop?; d) where are the strikes and demonstrations?

That being said, the best character for me is Paris. They really do show the beauty of Paris in different places. Lots of scenes on my street or close by. Although they haven't quite explained how Emily gets from her Apartment at Pantheon to her work near Palais Royal without public transit. Does she really walk 40 min in heels?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Is the London guy really kaput? I kind of liked him.
She's going to be hard pressed to find someone better.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

tim wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:17 pm That being said, the best character for me is Paris. They really do show the beauty of Paris in different places. Lots of scenes on my street or close by.
Agreed! I saw Les Temps de Cerise and went to Lisa "that's right next to Tim's place!"

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Some folks don’t have enough to complain about, I guess:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/20/arts ... ticleShare

Although, I gotta admit, I’m struggling to get through Season 3. But I don’t know whether that’s because of the show or if it’s me.