What are your top ten favorite estates?

Nicklasss

Re: What are your top ten favorite estates?

Post by Nicklasss »

Chateau Vin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:27 pm Here are my 10 Observations....

1. Pichon "Purple' Baron is widely adored ( :arrow: just had 6 omissions out of 19; Next is Leo Barton with 7, P Lalande and Lynch with 8 each and Montrose with 9); Widely adored Right bank is La Conseillante...

2. Don't know why stefan even listed 'Nameless' wine. :o It should not even make the list... :D

3. BD does not have Lynch 'Poor Man's Lafite' Bages on his list... :D

4. Racer Chris does not have Trintaudon on his list...

5. Comte has most balanced with respect to left bank and right bank (6 left bank and 4 rt bank).. :idea:

6. No GPL on jal's list (no surprise there... :lol: )

7. Although it looks like there is no particular order in the list of Musigny, VCC is listed first as it occupies the top spot in his consciousness... :mrgreen:

8. 6 out of 19 did not choose any Right bank at all...

9. It's surprising that over 50% listed Montrose as one of their top 10 favorites, but not many tasting notes on the site on Montrose..(I am also guilty party for this)... :!:

10. Out of all the people, Ognik, stefan, Joel, Sf Ed, etc. had trouble nailing down their top 10. It's like not able to let go other child when your hands are already full with a couple... :lol:

But the icing of the cake goes to Blanquito in this regard. He had several top 10 for different eras, and that too seems like strugggling to come up with a list that would satisfy all his inclinations. Although he begrudgingly came up with final list, he needed much prodding and encouragement... For this, the True BWEr award should go to Blanquito... :P
Nice analysis CV. There are definitely some incongruous things within most BWEers, but seems all normal to me. :lol:
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:33 pm
I'd have to go into a blanqitian division of eras to add Lynch to my list.

To me, Pichon Baron and Leoville Barton at the top makes me proud to be a BWEer.
I didn't do the numbers, but nice to see multiple nods to Cantemerle in there as well.

I could have added La Conseillante and Chasse Spleen to my list as well if I had more room.
d'Issan did well early too. Then many later voters left it off.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I did not answer until now as I was - and are still somewhat - confused by the meaning of "favourite".
It seems from the comments made so far that most are focusing on the wines they buy and drink the most often.
So if someone else is paying, I suppose the list may be a bit different.

Secondly, a few rate favourites in different time periods - and that is something that makes sense.
If you asked me about my favs from the 80's, I'd have a quite different list that I have today.

So my 80's list is as follows, partly as I could afford the top wines in those days (in no order):

Margaux
LMHB
HB
Ducru Beaucaillou
LLC
Graud Larose
Pavie
Figeac
Pichon Lalande
Cos D'estournel

A few other honourable mentions apply such as Leoville B, Beychevelle, Lynch Bages, Montrose, Batailley, D'issan and Priure Lichine.

So my current list is largely from 2000 onward and I seriously am labouring over it, and I have been to fewer tastings, dinners, etc. in Singapore. the weather also has a rather negative effect on fine wine - irrespective of what I do. So my choices are sometimes situational.

So here goes - the current list.

Giscours
Branaire Ducru
Graud Larose
D'issan
La Lagune
Calon Segur
Larcis Ducasse
Clos O'ratoire
Prieure Lichine
Malescot St.E

Honourable mentions to several St Emilions - Bellefont Belcier, La Confession, L'arosse, Dominique, Mouin St Georges, Fonroque and Monbousqet, plus a few other Margauxs, being Dufort Viviens and Du Terte, maybe Lagrange St Julien and Sociando Mallet (I did not initially include it as I find it too variable).
tim

Post by tim »

This is difficult...

Removing any first growths or equivalent

1. Pontet Canet (no surprise there)
2. Lynch Bages
3. Branaire Ducru
4. La Conseillante
5. VCC
6. Leoville Las Cases
7. Sociando Mallet
8. Haut Maco
9. Suduiraut
10. Montrose or Cos d'Estournel (tie)

I guess the last one is cheating but they are so on par with each other it is difficult to choose.

Sociando Mallet is going down on the list though, I have been underwhelmed with some of my most recent experiences.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

JimHow wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:33 pm
I'd have to go into a blanqitian division of eras to add Lynch to my list.

To me, Pichon Baron and Leoville Barton at the top makes me proud to be a BWEer.
I didn't do the numbers, but nice to see multiple nods to Cantemerle in there as well.

I could have added La Conseillante and Chasse Spleen to my list as well if I had more room.
Skimming through....L.Barton might be the leading château here
jal

Post by jal »

As I stated many times before, Grand Puy Lacoste is not my favorite, it may have improved finally but I'm not paying $$ to find out.
Leoville Barton is also not a favorite, I have had many different vintages of this estate and it never wooed me. It is always correct, it has never given much emotion.
I did think about including: Pape Clement, La Conseillante, and Rieussec but decided that Prieure Lichine's perfume in the 80s was enough to include that wine in my list.
Best

Jacques
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

1) Giscours
2) Calon Segur
3) Domaine de Chevalier
4) La Lagune
5) Lynch Bages
6) Pichon Lalande
7) Saint Pierre
8) Bourgneuf
9) Poujeaux
10) Duhart Milon