No mas! No more young (post 1970) Magdelaine and VCC

Musigny 151

No mas! No more young (post 1970) Magdelaine and VCC

Post by Musigny 151 »

I am done buying. I went a little nuts this weekend buying a ton of VCC , and this morning the same vendor offered me some pristine bottles of 1982 Magdelaine. Yes, I took them, and as I was going through my inventory, realized I now have ridiculous amounts of both chateaux, so canceled a few of the VCC bottles. Not a problem; I gather there were plenty of other buyers happy to snap them up.

It is time. I still a few older vintages of both wines, but otherwise, the pleasure of the hunt has gone, and it is time to sit back and enjoy the wines. Get to know them a little better. All is well.
JimHow

Re: No mas! No more young (post 1970) Magdelaine and VCC

Post by JimHow »

Lol... Riiiiiiiight.
jal

Post by jal »

This is Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts Mr G. Not Bordeaux Wine Anonymous. :D
You don't come here and say, hi my name is Mark and it's been two hours since my last wine purchase.
You come here and say I have been offered x amounts of wine, should I buy it all? Hoping for encouragement.
Best

Jacques
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

jal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:04 pm This is Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts Mr G. Not Bordeaux Wine Anonymous. :D
You don't come here and say, hi my name is Mark and it's been two hours since my last wine purchase.
You come here and say I have been offered x amounts of wine, should I buy it all? Hoping for encouragement.
I did take all, ,well almost all, and do not need encouragement.

Now I am plotting ways of living to 115, so I can drink it all. My BWE brethren should be trying to help me achieve that without resorting to kale. And yes, I know what you are thinking; you will happily help me with the drinking part, but then you would have missed all the fun of acquisition.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You are a good man, Mr. Golodetz, I still say one of my most epic moments in BWE history was at the NYC '03 convention when I was sipping a 1967 Petrus handed to me from you in my left hand and a 1997 Petrus handed to me in my right hand from some pleasant young man from Indonesia named Rudy, who had sourced it from his friend on the upper west side, some guy named John Kapon....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

All I have to say is, amen! Stu, Mark, Jacques, Ed and I will just keeping looking for wines older than us, and leave all the 2019s to Jim, jckba, Ian, Mike, Chris, et al!
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

JimHow wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:46 pm You are a good man, Mr. Golodetz, I still say one of my most epic moments in BWE history was at the NYC '03 convention when I was sipping a 1967 Petrus handed to me from you in my left hand and a 1997 Petrus handed to me in my right hand from some pleasant young man from Indonesia named Rudy, who had sourced it from his friend on the upper west side, some guy named John Kapon....
I am not sure that being mentioned in the same sentence as Rudy and Kapon is something I would want to boast about :D
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Musigny 151 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:26 pm
jal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:04 pm This is Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts Mr G. Not Bordeaux Wine Anonymous. :D
I did take all, ,well almost all, and do not need encouragement.

Now I am plotting ways of living to 115, so I can drink it all. My BWE brethren should be trying to help me achieve that without resorting to kale. And yes, I know what you are thinking; you will happily help me with the drinking part, but then you would have missed all the fun of acquisition.
I have to say, you did a great job of pre-empting a common response. So by this logic, I should offer to come up and help you drink and also buy some bottles off of you? Thinning down your cellar twice as much at the time and also getting the pleasure of the hunt and the taste :)

Honestly, I need to stop as well. It's gotten a bit out of hand this month for me as well.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I play chess; it’s important to anticipate your opponent’s next move.

Seriously, ended up with an a case of mixed fifths and two magnums of 1982 VCC . And then he the bastard offered nine bottles of the 1982 Magdelaine, all pristine.

Today I got the bill. Ouch!

The wines were basically at the low end of market; what made them compelling was the condition. Almost all into the neck. There is no second act to these wines.

For example, these are the 1982 VCCs
Attachments
BF1E0EEB-4468-4C1E-8ED7-38B679D6058E.jpeg
BF1E0EEB-4468-4C1E-8ED7-38B679D6058E.jpeg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 368 times
stefan

Post by stefan »

Gosh, those bottles look as good as some of Rudy's. :)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ll see your perfect fills and raise you a bin soiled label:
Attachments
CF6E4299-F5E4-4885-B3AD-7D25CD65FEFB.jpeg
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Did Rudy autograph them?