Tour de Bordeaux in DC

Bruce35dc

Tour de Bordeaux in DC

Post by Bruce35dc »

Anyone going to the Tour de Bordeaux in DC tomorrow night?

Bruce
Blanquito

Re: Tour de Bordeaux in DC

Post by Blanquito »

Not I. Is this the same thing as the UGC?
Bruce35dc

Post by Bruce35dc »

Yes, same thing.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Used to love those when I was on the early side of the learning curve and buying en primeur. The density of information and excitement more than overcame the unpleasantness of the setting and the crowds. I’ve reached a stage where that equation has reversed and rarely attend mass tastings now.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

I went to my last one yesterday in NYC. 2020 is a great vintage, I liked the Margaux grouping. The Sauternes section was on the heavy side, Coutet could be poured on pancakes. Suduiraut was the best there. IMO.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I too was there at Cipriani during the day trade tasting and fully agree this is a very good to great vintage. I however preferred the Saint Juliens and Pauillacs compared to those from Margaux but the Brane Cantenac and Rauzan Segla were def in favorites on the day along with the likes of the Pichon Baron, Pichon Lalande, DdC (Blanc and Rouge), SHL Rouge, Leoville Barton, Beychevelle, Canon, Clos Fourtet and Le Gay all of which would merit mid to upper 90 point scores.

It was a fun time as usual running into fellow retailers I’ve bought from, importers as well as fellow enthusiasts.

There were however a number notable missing properties from NYC tasting that regularly appear such as Grand Puy Lacoste, Haut Bailly, Les Carmes Haut Brion, Lafon Rochet, Ferriere, Malescot St Exupery, Besejour Becot and Troplong Mondot so hopefully this is not the beginning of a greater trend.
skgolf91

Post by skgolf91 »

We also went to the one in NYC and agree with DavidG where it's too crowded and hard to talk to wine makers/owners/reps. I felt bad sticking my wine glass to get tastings since some people were just standing in front and not moving! Also some chateaux like Canon, canon-la-gaffeliere ran out of wine way before the closing time which was disappointing. This might be our last tasting. We went to a few while we lived in Switzerland from 2017-19 and they were so much more relaxed and better. With that said, I also agree with jckba Saint Julien and Pauillacs tasting better than Margaux wines. Le Gay was one of our fav wines we tasted that night along with Leoville's, both Pichons, Clinet, Gazin, SHL.
NoahR

Post by NoahR »

Been busy at work and hadn’t been keeping track. How does one find out about this or get invited etc??
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Noah, retailers usually get the word out. I’ve received solicitations from various different ones different years. And I think they advertise in magazines like Wine Spec. Or did… I no longer subscribe to any so can’t offer any current perspective.