Bordeaux 2019 In Bottle Tasting at FarrVintners

sisler

Bordeaux 2019 In Bottle Tasting at FarrVintners

Post by sisler »

Very interesting article on the 2019 vintage where prominent wine critics are confirming the extraordinary quality across all appellations with Chateau Gloria being the value wine of the vintage.

https://www.farrvintners.com/blog/post.php?post=1926
JimHow

Re: Bordeaux 2019 In Bottle Tasting at FarrVintners

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for sharing sisler, I'll have to get some Gloria.

Oh man, "Montrose is one of the wines of the vintage, rivaling first growth quality...."

They're killing me!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The full quote, which I agree with completely:

"Montrose is one of the wines of the vintage in 2019, rivalling the first growths in quality due to its deep structure complementing the fleshy nature of the vintage. Supremely balanced and destined for the long haul, it is absolutely outstanding."
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thank for the link sisler. 2019 looks like my type of vintage, and happy to read that 2016 is also among the best!

Happy to read that many wines from 2019 i will receive in March, are noted in that review.

I'm very happy to read comments about Montlandrie and Cantemerle!

Montlandrie is the only 2018 i liked up to now...

I bought many other nice 2019, and with comments about Margaux, i'm happy i have some d'Issan coming.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

In the coming weeks, it would be a good time to do a BWE 2019 red Bordeaux virtual tasting?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oui oui.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Very interesting tasting. I can’t resist mentioning that VCC yet again beat Petrus and Lafleur😆

Seriously, would be happy to do a virtual tasting.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Everything I've read in this report is consistent with my very limited experience with Montrose and the few other 2019s I've tried.

I've been thinking of setting up some sort of semi-regular Thursday night Zoom event, like from 7-9pm EST.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm telling you, that 2019 Montrose the other night was a "wowza" moment and everything I've read, including this Farr report, corroborates that.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

High praise and another data point that makes me wish I'd have gotten another three pack of Montrose. Alas only 3 750s and a Mag but I suppose some is better than none! I ended up with quite a few of the mentions in the Farr report.

For a while I thought, wow is it crazy to buy so much bordeaux without too much experience drinking it.... Now I wonder why i didnt buy more! Big thanks to the info here that got me convinced on which Chateau would be my style and a reasonable value.

I'd love to do a virtual and maybe get to a group meet up at some point. Would be a perfect reason to pop a 19 VCC, Conseillante, Canon, Cos, Les Carmes, Troplong, Calon or LB....
jckba

Post by jckba »

A wonderful panel tasting and a great read, thanks for sharing.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for posting Sisler

This is new and exciting information derived from a panel of experts and masters of wine.

I only just bought some Montrose 2019 in time and added a few more yesterday.

I was fascinated that the esteemed panel rated 2019 higher than 2016 outside the Northern Medoc.

I wonder how the 2020 vintage is going to compare a year from now? That one is shaping up pretty well.

As with the 2019 vintage I feel well positioned in this vintage, spurred on by the early discounts for which Alfred Tesseron deserves the most credit: I don’t have any of the firsts but have the super seconds and equivalents well covered: LLC, Palmer, PCL, Ducru, Lynch, Leo B and now Montrose, and on the right Figeac, Conseillante, Clinet and Troplong Mondot but sadly neither VCC nor L’Eglise Clinet.
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Man, “greatest vintage we’ve ever tasted,” comparing it to 1982, etc. Wow!
sisler

Post by sisler »

Dear Winelovers

My cellar is full with 2016 and 2019.

If someone is planning to visit Switzerland in the near future, drop me an eMail - I am more than willing to kill a few bottles with you crazy cowboys ;-)

Kind regards
Stefan alias sisler
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’ll make note of that, Stefan, we’re planning on traveling through Europe at some point, maybe not this year but possibly next year. I’ll definitely look you up!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Well Farr Vintners have stolen my reviews of 2019 calling it the “real deal” well I said that some months ago.

Also agree with much of their commentary but I still rate 2016 as a more classic and structured vintage and I wonder if these tasters are old enough to recall 1982 young? That vintage was a watershed for me.

Not convinced that winemaking in 2016 and 2019 are much different. There seems to be an underlying assumption that winemaking changes over three years and I’m not so convinced. If so then Bordeaux must have been dreadful in 1982, yeah sure.

One point I do agree with is that the medium ranked wines such as Langoa Barton and Haut Batailley are high achievers and Margaux was excellent in 2019, though not sure that it is better than 15 and 16.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Mmmmm, 2019 and 2016 are my largest holdings currently. Partly because I haven't started drinking them and partly because I was an enthusiastic buyer. Hope I'm around in 15 years to compare them at maturity. If not, I'm sure they'll find their way to younger BWEs.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Stefan - why don’t you come over for our London convention on 23-25 March? See the separate thread…

I thought one of the most interesting observations, which I fully endorse is this: In many ways these two vintages (2016 and 2019) represent "High Definition" versions of their 2010 and 2009 counterparts, representing the leaps producers have made in a short space of time in a changing climate and the shift towards balance, freshness and precision rather than power, ripeness and extraction.
sisler

Post by sisler »

JimHow wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:04 pm I’ll make note of that, Stefan, we’re planning on traveling through Europe at some point, maybe not this year but possibly next year. I’ll definitely look you up!
Hi Jim, you are always welcome - I am looking forward to meeting you in person in Switzerland. I am living close to the Zurich airport so easy to drop by for a few good bottles. Cheers, Stefan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice! We'll shoot for 2024.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Fun read. To my eye, the QPR winner of the vintage is the 2019 Branaire Ducru.

Side note: is it just me, or do most professional tasting notes at this point seem written by ChatGPT? Honestly, I read 3-4 notes of say William Kelley (whose opinion I value) and they morph together almost immediately in one big amalgam of blackberries and powdery tannins.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Blanquito wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:14 pm Fun read. To my eye, the QPR winner of the vintage is the 2019 Branaire Ducru.

Side note: is it just me, or do most professional tasting notes at this point seem written by ChatGPT? Honestly, I read 3-4 notes of say William Kelley (whose opinion I value) and they morph together almost immediately in one big amalgam of blackberries and powdery tannins.
"The 2019 Branaire Ducru is a rich and complex wine with a deep ruby color. On the nose, it has aromas of black fruits such as blackcurrant and blackberry, along with notes of cedar, tobacco, and leather. On the palate, it is full-bodied and well-balanced, with firm tannins and a long finish. Flavors of dark fruits, dark chocolate and a hint of spice are prominent. Overall, it is a well-structured wine that will benefit from a few years of aging but can also be enjoyed now with a decanting or time to open up."

Chatgpt's take on the 2019 Branaire Ducru is above. As you can see, human critics prove their worth by varying the adjectives, coming up with outlandish scent comparisons, and using action verbs such as the flavors "exploding" out of the glass etc.
marcs

Post by marcs »

As a bonus here is Chatgpt on the 1982 Branaire Ducru, the wine has aged well!

"The 1982 Branaire Ducru is a mature and elegant wine with a deep ruby color. On the nose, it has complex aromas of mature red fruits such as cherries and raspberries, along with notes of cedar, tobacco, leather, and dried herbs. On the palate, it is medium to full-bodied and well-balanced, with silky tannins and a long finish. Flavors of mature red fruits, plum and a hint of earthiness are prominent. Overall, it is a well-structured wine that has reached its peak of maturity and is ready to drink. It's a perfect candidate for a special occasion or to pair with a rich meat dish."
marcs

Post by marcs »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:37 pm Stefan - why don’t you come over for our London convention on 23-25 March? See the separate thread…

I thought one of the most interesting observations, which I fully endorse is this: In many ways these two vintages (2016 and 2019) represent "High Definition" versions of their 2010 and 2009 counterparts, representing the leaps producers have made in a short space of time in a changing climate and the shift towards balance, freshness and precision rather than power, ripeness and extraction.
How did the 2019 Montrose reach 14.5% without any power and extraction? Please explain.

2016 seems unusual among recent vintages in restraining alcohol and having some cool climate characteristics. I haven't tried 2019 yet but I'm a bit skeptical of the direction Bordeaux is going.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You nattering nabob of negativism....
It seems like we've had some nice vintages this past decade, like 2014 and 2016, and from what I've seen from 2019 so far the wines appear to be stellar. I can't explain the seeming incongruity between 14.5% alcohol and the freshness and crispness I've seen in these wines so far but I know what my tastebuds tell me. Now 2018, there's a yucky vintage, too much alcohol, lack of balance.

2019 is a Jean-Nicolas Maltais kind of vintage.

As I documented here, when I revisited 2019 du Tertre I thought it was outstanding. And a 2019 Latour Martillac I had a few weeks back, I remember saying to myself: "Best Latour Martillac ever." It just seemed to have everything, ripeness, precision, structure, not the mouth puckering tannins I often get with that wine.
marcs

Post by marcs »

sisler wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:49 pm Very interesting article on the 2019 vintage where prominent wine critics are confirming the extraordinary quality across all appellations with Chateau Gloria being the value wine of the vintage.

https://www.farrvintners.com/blog/post.php?post=1926
LOL I'm trying to stay out post-2016 but they keep trying to pull me back in! How do you stay out if every couple of years there is a new best vintage ever! Trying not to regret missing release prices LOL. I think I'll just taste you guys 2019s.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

I don't find 14.5 alcohol levels that are well balanced very surprising. With far more Napa tasting experience than Bordeaux, I have had plenty of Napa cabs at or above this range that weren't heavy, tiresome, goopy, sweet, etc. I've also had some that were terrible. 14.5 in fact is the limit I target.

With increasing frequency of warm vintages globally, I would think that the makers will adapt and continually improve until some threshold is reached that just can't be overcome.

I actually wonder if lessons from 2018 were important in shaping the approach to 2019.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sure, just add a bunch of tartaric acid and viola, the wines still seem fresh!

I’m not directing that at the 2019 vintage per se, just in general. On same basic biochemical level, you can’t have high alcohol and high acids wines “naturally” (I put that in quotes because on some level wine making isn’t a natural phenomenon).

I remember, when Ridge Vineyards was going through a transparency phase, and listing the ingredients in their wines. Virtually all of their wines had acid added, except Geyserville, which they claimed was slightly deacidified! It is what it is, but it’s a little silly for tasters to marvel at how fresh a big wine can seem, like it’s some freak of nature.

But if the wines taste good, who cares?
Last edited by Blanquito on Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

Blanquito wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:42 pm Sure, just add a bunch of tartaric acid and viola, the wines still seem fresh!

I’m not directing that at the 2019 vintage per se, just in general. On same basic biochemical level, you can’t have high alcohol and high acids wines “naturally” (I put that in quotes because on some level wine making isn’t a natural phenomenon).

I remember, when Ridge Vineyards was going through a transparency phase, and listing the ingredients in their wines. Virtually all of their wines had acid added, except Geyserville, which they claimed was slightly deacidified! It is what it is, but it’s a little silly for tasters to marvel at how fresh a big wine can seem, like it’s some freak of nature.

But if the wives taste good, who cares?
Your last statement is where I am at. I'm sure alot of red wine is being acidified but I am not sure it is a must at the 14 percent alcohol range to maintain balance. Corison I believe does not acidify and they are usually around the 13s to 14.5. I find them quite a bit more fresh than almost all Napa cabs.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
But if the wives taste good, who cares?
>>

Amen!
marcs

Post by marcs »

As I post this I am drinking a 2019 Mouton Rothschild at a Mouton tasting dinner. I have to say, some kind of spooky technological magic is going on with these recent vintages. This is sweet and pretty and the tannins are so well concealed as to seem almost nonexistent. Like, I mean, WTF. I mean it’s yummy and intensely drinkable. But I’m not sure it’s great?
marcs

Post by marcs »

I mean it’s good, I’m not saying it’s not good, but I’m suspicious of all these insane superlatives. Have they just figured out how to soften it in its youth?

I’m having it next to the 2009 which is also sweet and yummy but feels more weighty and structured in an interesting way…
marcs

Post by marcs »

Having the 96 and 98 now…Kevin shin kind of set me straight on the 2019…he said “you can never tell about tannins when a Bordeaux is really young”…but can the soft 2019 ever become a crisp poised vintage like the 1996? I’m confident the 2016 can, but can the 2019? I have my doubts
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Marcus... You need a vacation.... Take advantage of some nice airfares, and join us in London in March.
Sincerely,
JimHow
Benevolent Dictator of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts.
You and Mr. Levy need a vacation, I think.
marcs

Post by marcs »

The 98 has the same poise as the 96 but is less sweet and deep
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:16 am Marcus... You need a vacation.... Take advantage of some nice airfares, and join us in London in March.
Sincerely,
JimHow
Benevolent Dictator of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts.
You and Mr. Levy need a vacation, I think.
Honestly this Mouton dinner alone is kind of a vacation

I agree I gotta decide on this London thing tho…did you know I have a 2003 latour I could bring to 2023 BWE?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sipping on a gorgeous 2016 Giscours right now, 13.5%, I'm sorry, this is everything that the Farr folks are saying about the Margaux appellation.... Ripe, but 13.5%, balanced, crisp, structured, engaging, there's a personality to these 2019s. Richly colored, but nothing saturated, extracted, over the top... i.e., Parkerized.... Nothing of that sordid sort.

Marcus... Take a deep breath. Bordeaux is so great that like NOTHING can match your expectations.... You are expecting Zeus, but you are getting "only" Achilles.... Well, okay, that's pretty good too, you know....
marcs

Post by marcs »

The 88 is really good…some cigar box shit going on here…is this an underrated vintage?

The 95 is ALSO GOOD
marcs

Post by marcs »

The 86 mouton is corked…fuck
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sipping on a gorgeous 2016 Giscours right now, 13.5%, I'm sorry, this is everything that the Farr folks are saying about the Margaux appellation.... Ripe, but 13.5%, balanced, crisp, structured, engaging, there's a personality to these 2019s. Richly colored, but nothing saturated, extracted, over the top... i.e., Parkerized.... Nothing of that sordid sort.

I'm sorry, I wish Robert Parker many happy years ahead. I was a fan. That fellow great American made his mark. But now, like Tom Brady, the GOAT, it is time to move on. There are the new bucks, the Patrick Mahones, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow.

As the benevolent dictator of "Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts" -- the greatest wine website on the internet -- I hereby declare Robert Parker DEAD. We are free. Free at last. Why do I say that? Because, in 2019, a consequential autumn, Giscours came in at 13.5%. And with amazing balance. And freshness. Of course, it is "light on its feet." Honestly, I've got a lot more 2019s that I've got to sample, but from what I've seen, there is a straight faced argument to be made that this is a vintage of epic proportions, "best ever (per Farr's)," 1982-like.

But perhaps most importantly.... Robert Parker is dead.... 2019 offers hope that after 40 years of abuse -- internationalization, global warming, financial market shenanigans, Parkerization, Rudy, Kapon, the "lux" selling-out of Lynch Bages, the Asian soap opera, the London soap opera, pandemic, financial crisis, terrorism, Elon Musk, Donald Trump, Vlad Putin, Harry, Emily in Paris, the decline of France, the pornographic, sadistic rise in influence of the internet in the wine world -- after all that abuse that I can think of off the top of my head, and much, much more.... Giscours still prevails, comes in crisp and clean at a beautifully styled 13.5%, a gorgeous, balanced 95 point effort. Robert Parker is dead. Long live Bordeaux.