Thursday night BWE Zoom tastings, 7-9pm (or 8-10pm)? Eastern US time?

JimHow

Thursday night BWE Zoom tastings, 7-9pm (or 8-10pm)? Eastern US time?

Post by JimHow »

So sometimes I drink on other nights, but Thursday night is usually my big "drinking" night, unless I'm in NYC, or in a trial the next day, or it's a holiday, etc., etc. I usually try to keep my weekends alcohol free, which is probably not the norm. For a while I was doing Thursday night Zoom dinners with Jacques/Jill and Bill/Jan, but schedules, vacations, and other interferences of life have limited that. Those crazy retirees are always off on trips across various time zones, making it tough to schedule time for dinner. I'm reluctant to try to schedule anything on a regular basis because my schedule is as insane as ever, with 157 pending felony cases, 5 murder cases, and a criminal defense system in constitutional free fall that I'm in the epicenter of trying to save.

Nonetheless.... I have a Zoom account. So here's my vision, my ideal:

1. We do a Zoom dinner/tasting every Thursday night for 2 hours, starting at 7pm, 7:30pm, or 8pm, eastern US time. When I say "every" Thursday night, I'm guessing it'll end up being more like 20 Thursday nights during the course of the year, with all the scheduling conflicts, holidays, summer slow-downs, etc., etc.

2. BWEers can come and go with no pressure to participate. Maybe sometimes members will just pop in to say hi, sometimes they'll stay for the whole two hours. The spirit of this thing would be that members stay longer and drink wine, however, rather than just pop in to say hi, as that would more likely contribute to the success of the event, but certainly we would rather see you from time to time rather than not see you.

3. I would definitely need 2-3 co-hosts, as there will undoubtedly be nights where my participation would be limited, especially during jury trials.

4. We could do some themes, but the general overriding rule would be that a) it has to be Bordeaux, and b) BWEers can drink any other Bordeaux, regardless of the theme.

Anyway... I'm just thinking out loud, not committing to anything.

BD
JoelD

Re: Thursday night BWE Zoom tastings, 7-9pm (or 8-10pm)? Eastern US time?

Post by JoelD »

Great idea, Jim. I like it and will happily take part often. I miss the Covid zoom tastings. I'm sure I could co-host from time to time as well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Amen my brother, Joel, I definitely contemplate you being a major part in this. Again, still in a thinking out loud phase here.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Surely the last BWE Zoom was long ago... that thread on 2019 just give me the sense that we could do a Zoom. It has been too long since i saw many BWE virtually or next too me.

For my part, once a month would be ok.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Count us in when we're in the right time zone. Look forward to seeing some familiar faces again even if not in person. Agree with Nic monthly or bimonthly likely optimal for us.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah I agree, I think once a month is plenty.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Count me in as well. Good idea to revive these Jim.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I say Jim brings his iPad into the court room while we drink and watch him in action!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha this time last year I was in Fairbank Alaska for 44 nights, they streamed the whole trial.
Man, I can't believe it's been a year. They want me to come speak at the Baylor University Medical School about the case, Stefan, is that far from you?
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

JimHow wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:01 pm Ha this time last year I was in Fairbank Alaska for 44 nights, they streamed the whole trial.
Man, I can't believe it's been a year. They want me to come speak at the Baylor University Medical School about the case, Stefan, is that far from you?

Why the med school?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Because of the forensic genetic genealogy DNA issue, they're doing some sort of study on it.
It's how they caught the Golden State Killer, pretty interesting issue.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

JimHow wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:07 pm Because of the forensic genetic genealogy DNA issue, they're doing some sort of study on it.
It's how they caught the Golden State Killer, pretty interesting issue.
Sounds made for TV ...let us know when Forensic Files picks it up Jim!!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, the case has been followed closely in the legal community, a lot of experts think this is the case that's going to the Supreme Court on the fourth amendment genetic genealogy issue. We're working on a documentary but waiting for the appeal process to unfold.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The Baylor Med School is in Houston, Jim. Hope you come see us if/when you go there (or any other time, for that matter).

Having regular Zoom get togethers sounds good.