Dinner with Blanquito

SF Ed

Dinner with Blanquito

Post by SF Ed »

Blanquito was in town with some of his Denver wine buddies for the UGC tasting. We went to Delfina for an excellent meal and had some decent wine too.

We started with a 2010 Gravner Brianco Breg from the list. A crazy aged orange wine that was really good. A description pulled from the Interweb:
Grape blend obtained from four different vine varieties (Sauvignon blanc, Pinot grigio, Chardonnay and Riesling italico) which are fermented separately and aged together.

While fermenting in Georgian amphorae buried underground, it underwent a long maceration with wild yeasts and no temperature control. After the drawing off and pressing phases the wine was poured back into amphorae for five more months before it started ageing in large oak barrels, where it was left for six years. Wine is bottled without fining or filtration.
To me it tasted like a combo of Aperol, blood orange, and Chardonnay. Very deep. Not an everday wine but very enjoyable.

We then had a 2005 Charles Joguet Clos de la Dioterie Chinon. Hugely reduced and funky, ripe and fruity but not my cup of tea. For me it either needs more time or I just don't like the style. Others liked it much more than me.

We also had a corked 1985 Phelps Backus. A shame as those old Phelps wines are a real treat.

The main event were a pair of Bordeaux - 1986 Lynch Bages and 1986 Gruaud Larose

The 1986 Lynch Bages was not flawed but not singing either. It felt muted. Not corked or flawed, but without the backbone or fruit of other bottles I've had. It was correct with all the typical Pauillac flavors, but not its best showing.

The 1986 Gruaud Larose was fantastic. I've had this wine a lot and this is the best bottle I've ever tasted. Incredible. A perfect bottle, still young and not fully evolved. Full of ripe fruit, long tannins only partially resolved, and mindbogglingly awesome. Drinks well now but will continue to drink well for 50 more years if well-kept. Clear WOTN for me.

We finished with a 1986 Climens. A really good showing from a really good wine. Finally becoming mature. Both light on its feet and rich, perfect botrytis, the template for what Climens can be. Better than 2001, if that is possible. Seamless. Drink now and for the next 30 years.

It was great seeing Blanquito and his buddies, and it was yet another example of the power of BWE to bring people together to share wine and life.

SF Ed
jckba

Re: Dinner with Blanquito

Post by jckba »

Nice report, corked and off bottles suck but it def sounds as if the Gruaud was pristine and it doesn’t really get better than a great Bdx amongst like minded folk.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice Ed! Love 1986 Gruaud and Talbot. Wish I still had some.
stefan

Post by stefan »

More like Patrick went to the Bay Area to meet up with you and scheduled it to coincide with the UGC tasting.

The 1986 Gruaud Larose I bought at release were great. After I finished those I bought some more at auction, but my experience with them has been mixed.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I had access to a number of bottles from a great cellar at my wine storage a couple of years ago. The provenance and showing of those bottles has been fantastic. I have 4 more 1986 Gruaud Larose from that cellar. While I think they will age well for decades, I think I'll drink mine within this one as there is no way I can keep my hands off of them.

SF Ed
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nice...bring me that Cordier action all day
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh yeah, 1986 Gruaud Larose, one of the great wines of Bordeaux. A young Stefan brought two bottles to the very first BWE convention in Chicago in February 2001. Pictures! I want pictures!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report, always happy to read that BWE ers are having good times!

The 1982 and 1986 Gruaud Larose are amazing Saint-Julien.

Can't wait to see you guys, in less than 2 months, in London
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sitting at the airport now, trying a little to collect some thoughts… what a terrific, 48-hour surgical strike into NoCal, with the highlight most definitely the dinner with Lisa and Ed. I had a blast catching up, reminiscing, get jazzed for London, tasting wine, enjoying the fantastic cuisine at Delfina.

The 86 Gruaud was the clear WOTN, a truly pristine bottle drinking at peak for my palate. Perfumed with smoky and mineral notes, silky at this stage with a quintessential St Julien profile, pretty funk-free for a mid-80s Cordier.

The 86 Lynch was a step down and lagged behind the brilliant bottle of this we had a little over a week ago. The main shortcoming was a quiet nose, which required some sniffing to discern graphite and black fruits. I found the palate much superior to the bouquet, with lots of masculine Pauillac power and ironesque intensity, bright and still firm, especially next to the comparatively elegant Gruaud.

I did thoroughly enjoy the 05 Joguet, but it was not for everyone to be sure. It was super funky and animalistic on the nose with some notes of tar, collard greens and cast iron. The palate is big and strapping for a Chinon with lots of fruit and rustic power. Drinking well now, but I bet this improves.
William P

Post by William P »

Sorry I missed you Patrick.

Bill
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I drank a 1986 Gruaud last month which had more barnyard than sous bois. Not the best one I've had.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

William P wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:01 pm Sorry I missed you Patrick.

Bill
Hope to see you next time, Bill.