82 Bordeaux Tasting

barsacpinci

82 Bordeaux Tasting

Post by barsacpinci »

I had the very fortunate opportunity to receive an invitation to a 1982 Bordeaux tasting from MarcF in our wine group. He had a prior 82 tasting which I had to miss so I was thrilled to be included in this one. All the wines (I believe) were supplied by Marc except for the Mouton which KennyK provided. Thanks to both for a memorable evening. Here are my brief notes grouped by flights as served.

Rouget - Showed an expressive nose of leather and moss and mushrooms. Still fresh tannins and dark blackberry fruit But fell apart after 10 minutes
De Sales - The nose on this one was not appealing. Kind of medicinal. Palate better. Sour cherry fruit. Tannic finish
La Graves - A bretty nose and a rustic palate It was nice to drink but not a lot of tertiary notes. But it improved compared to the other two

Petit Village - A beautiful strawberry jam nose. Palate was not as interesting at first. Kind of dried out But half an hour later the strawberry is back and flavor intensifies showing red berry fruit with a bit of cinnamon #4 for me
Le Bon Pasteur - A big musty nose. And on palate. I though it was just slightly corked because the mustiness got worse as it sat.

Le Gay - A nice cigar nose. Very, very big palate. Lots of dark fruits, powerful wine. But it diminished a bit when I went back to it. #5 for me.
Vieux Chateau Certan - At first not much of a nose, a little thin on the palate But 10 minutes later the flavor explodes. Brambleberry fruits with plenty of tannins. Just wonderful. and it continued to improve. My #2

Lanessan - A nice and rustic wine. Simple but drinking very well.
La Lagune - a bad bottle. Second time I’ve had a 82 La Lagune that was bad.
Du Tertre - I also thought this bottle was off, too, but not so bad I couldn’t drink it

Haut Bages Liberal - This wine shows much younger It seemed to me to be high alcohol and extracted. But extremely well made wine. Loved it. Definitely a pencil lead wine.
Batailley - The nose wasn’t showing much but the wine is dark brooding and powerful wine. Impressive. I didn’t get a chance to go back to this one.

Grand Puy Lacoste - A roast beef nose with a soft and luscious palate. GPL is a QPR wine.
Lynch Bages - Had plum and tar on the nose. Interesting. A little thin on mid palate compared to GPL

Pichon Lalande - Wow! How can a wine this old be so fresh, tannic and powerful. Cigar box. I think some cab franc in it. Nice green pepper notes that aren’t offensive (usually is for me). But WOTN for me
Mouton Rothschild - a monster. But closed! Opening now after 14 minutes. A perfect wine. But still a little unyielding. I kept trying to get more out of it and was expecting more. Maybe a longer decant is needed. My #3 but #1 for most of the others.

1988 Rayne Vigneau - A nice caramelized and apricot flavored wine for dessert.
Brian Pinci
jckba

Re: 82 Bordeaux Tasting

Post by jckba »

A great lineup of 82s and when the Lalande is on, it is hard to beat!
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nice!!..gotta find me some Haut Bages Liberal
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I picked up a 2019 Haut Bages Liberal yesterday.
ericindc

Post by ericindc »

It was a good dinner, Marc is really generous. The Petit Village, the VCC, and the Mouton were brought by other people other than Marc. I definitely thought these '82s showed better than the ones back in 2022. The Pichon Lalande was my fav early on, but it sorta fell off. My surprises of the night were just how great the Lanessan and the Petit Village showed. My favs were #1 Mouton, #2 Petit Village, and then my other favs were the VCC, Pichon Lalande, Batailley, and the yes, the Lanessan.

Also. So. Much. Cheese.
--
Eric
ericindc

Post by ericindc »

just got the pics of the lineup

Attachments
Bordeaux 1982 Part 2 1-28-23 all wines.jpeg
--
Eric
William P

Post by William P »

The GPL was a great value. As I recall it cost $14.00 in 1984.

Bill