A pair of 2012's

RPCV

A pair of 2012's

Post by RPCV »

2012 Malartic-Lagravière Rouge (375 ml)

A very good wine from start to finish....not decanted. Smoky, hot stone and gravel nose. Very engaging wine...thought-provoking. Dark fruits, mid-level tannin framed nicely with an elegant bead of acidity. Lengthy finish carries through with smoke, gravel, and dark fruits. Classic and very good. A 4 + star effort.

2012 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugien (375 ml)

PnP. Stony, mineral-laden nose; coaxing reveals a mixed berry aroma. This needs time. Excellent mouthfeel but lacks fruit. Hold until 2025. Side note: this is exactly what I don't get about Burgundy. An 11 year-old wine from a half and a lesser vintage that's tighter than Dick's hatband. Yes, it's a Pommard and yes, it's Rugiens. The main reason I buy Beaune wines these days.
jal

Re: A pair of 2012's

Post by jal »

RPCV wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:11 pm 2012 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugien (375 ml)

PnP. Stony, mineral-laden nose; coaxing reveals a mixed berry aroma. This needs time. Excellent mouthfeel but lacks fruit. Hold until 2025. Side note: this is exactly what I don't get about Burgundy. An 11 year-old wine from a half and a lesser vintage that's tighter than Dick's hatband. Yes, it's a Pommard and yes, it's Rugiens. The main reason I buy Beaune wines these days.
I don't understand that last sentence, sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow this morning. Pommard Rugiens is a Cote de Beaune. Do you buy Beaune because you like them structured and want to age them?
Best

Jacques
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

jal wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:22 pm
RPCV wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:11 pm 2012 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugien (375 ml)

I don't understand that last sentence, sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow this morning. Pommard Rugiens is a Cote de Beaune. Do you buy Beaune because you like them structured and want to age them?
Apologies. I meant Savigny les Beaune
marcs

Post by marcs »

2012 is a weird vintage in Burgundy. Highly touted on release but then shut down hard and has not really reemerged.

One thing though — it’s not a “lesser” vintage in the sense of being light. It’s got a lot of concentration

The vintage has been a (relative, for burgundy) bargain for a while now and I picked some up so I hope it comes around and lives up to initial billing…
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I have some Charmes Chambertin 2012, here’s hoping they’re good someday.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I found the 2005 and 2012 Malartic to be quite modern. Not in a terrible way but a bit goopy. I really like the 2000 though and loaded up on it.

I've been loving 2012 red Burgs that are ready to go though. High hopes for the vintage in general.