Etna, Sicilia, newbuzz, wines

Nicklasss

Etna, Sicilia, newbuzz, wines

Post by Nicklasss »

Well, always looking for wines that are interesting, I’m having fun lately with wines from Sicilia, that are the newbuzz, for good reasons.

Tonight, opened a 2020 Pietrarizzo Etna white Tornatore, and this is the type of wine that brings you to new zone, new horizon, opening your interest. Light yellow color, with a kind of surely bit destabilizing nose, but intense and spirit focusing aromas of volcano smoke, minerals, pears, sweet white flowers, white pepper and star fruit. In mouth, dry, intense, completely mineral, almond flavors, white peaches, some bitterness. The length is impressive! Full of minerals, basil and white flowers. I liked that a lot! I want more. Tn: 91 or 92.

I liked some red wines too, from Sicila, lately. Complex, light body, long. Got to find out what this is all about. I’ll buy and open some.
jckba

Re: Etna, Sicilia, newbuzz, wines

Post by jckba »

Nice note and also had a Sicilian wine tonight though red and not from Etna in the Occhipinti Il Frappato. Insanely aromatic yet so lightweight, you should give it a go if you see it in your neck of the woods.
tim

Post by tim »

Have you read the book Vins de Feu by Frankel? A very interesting book about volcanic wines. Unfortunately only in French as I recall (at least that is my version).
ericindc

Post by ericindc »

I love love love Etnan wines. Its interesting how the producers have divided, some a bit more robust fruit, some lighter.

Some of my favs are: Vino di Anna (Anna Maartens), Frank Cornelisssen, Terre Nere, I Custodi, Calabretta

I have alot of Passopisciaro, but I find it a bit too modern and I just didnt love Graci for some reason. But always looking for new producers.

I think I mentioned this before, but we did a blind Nebbiolo vs Nerello Mascalese tasting a few years ago and we were surprised at how wrong we all were.
--
Eric
Claret

Post by Claret »

Count me as a fan of Sicilians. Going to a restaurant in Florida on Tuesday with a Sicilian chef and a nice list.
Glenn