Stay warm. Jim!

Harry C.

Stay warm. Jim!

Post by Harry C. »

Estimates of wind chill in Bangor, ME is -50 degrees Fahrenheit (-45.5 degrees Celsius) tonight. Yes I know you are in Lewiston, but still...
ericp

Re: Stay warm. Jim!

Post by ericp »

A bit south in Boston it will be -10F overnight, seems almost balmy compared to Lewiston😂
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is nuts! All hunkered in with some roast chicken and a 2019 Haut Bages Liberal.
This is much worse than anything we experienced in Alaska, I don't ever remember it this cold!

The WCSH Channel 6 weather forecast with my favorite meteorologist Keith Carson:

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article ... 7-31689757
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

Hah I also opened the 2019 Haut Bages Liberal. Just came back from Saskatoon Saskatchewan where it was bone chillingly cold....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Have you ever seen it this cold, Nicola?
I remember going to the Quebec winter carnival, it must've been about 25 years ago, and it was amazingly cold.
I don't remember midday temps like this. Looks like Mt. Washington might set a record.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice, Mike! Quite different from the Croizet-Bages, but I'm loving it! Whereas the CB was medium bodied, this seems like a big, black, burly 14.5% Pauillac beast but very pleasurable to drink! On to some mild cheese.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

We're enjoying it as well. Definitely bigger and black fruited but finishes a bit brighter thain the main attack for me. I've not found much oak in the other 2019s but I'm getting a little here on the nose and palate.

Quite a coincidence, I got home from the airport and it was the first bottle I saw in the cellar.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Woof. That is nuts. What are the chances that we can get a pic of you holding up your 2019 Bordeaux next to the -50 reading on the thermometer?

Just kidding. That sounds like some stupid shit a TikToker would do and die.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Be glad you don't live in Texas. Here, when the temperature drops into the teens, you lose your electricity and heat.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
If it gets any colder, you will all have to drink Vodka instead.
It's worked for centuries in Siberia.

cheers
Mark
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The Blue Demon started a little hard this morning, all 371,000 miles of her, but she started nonetheless, and a tire was flat, quickly inflated with my portable tire inflator, but other than that we seem to have survived the worst cold wave that I've ever seen, I don't know whether it broke any records but it was colder than a zip's ass. Goddamn is it cold, the wind is brutal.

Minus 105 on Mt. Washington with 95 mph winds, I think that's a record.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The police were out in force yesterday morning carting off the homeless camping out on Lisbon Street, one of the mainstays, a mentally ill former client of mine, was taken away in an ambulance. Grim times.

On a brighter note, I enjoyed the 2019 Haut Bages Liberal, it was big, rugged, 14.5%, very deep black color, very different from the more elegant, 13%, 2019 Croizet-Bages from the other night. But that's a good thing, we don't want these wines to all taste the same, further evidence of the waning of Robert Parker's influence. Like the CB, I give this wine 93 points as well. I'll buy more when this goes on sale again in NH. Another excellent 2019!
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

stefan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 am Be glad you don't live in Texas. Here, when the temperature drops into the teens, you lose your electricity and heat.
Not to mention your senior Senator.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

This morning, even better it is -30 C, - 51 C feel with wind chill....

You have to try it one day: going outside lightly dressed, under those conditions... you feel like Jack in Titanic within a minute...

Not very often we have THAT cold. Probably once every 10 years...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The Blizzard of '78 and the Ice Storm of '98 were the two worst weather events I've ever seen, but I've never seen it this cold. I've seen temps go down lower, like in the minus 20s, but I've never seen such a high windchill. That wind was brutal.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Improved ice bucket challenge!
Attachments
One minute, like the improved ice bucket challenge.
One minute, like the improved ice bucket challenge.