BWE in Ft. Lauderdale 2023

stefan

Re: BWE in Ft. Lauderdale 2023

Post by stefan »

Accept for one corked bottle and an underperforming 1986 Pichon Lalande, it looks the wines were at the top of their games.

As for 1982 l'Evangile, for me it and 1982 Cheval Blanc are in the finals for the 1982 right bank WOTY award.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wish you wuz there, Stefan, it was epic. Hope Lucie is feeling better.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Wow....and at Wine Watch to boot...my favorite spot 🔥
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Back in New England, still thinking about that 1947 Cheval Blanc. As I told Stuart, all these years I’ve wondered whether I would like the wine based on descriptions, I’ve always imagined it as some big hot alcoholic “port like” over the top wine from some big hot vintage, and I’ve wondered how a wine like that could survive 76 years. It was nothing like that at all. I recall when Houndsong came to my house in Maine and we drank the 1995 Cheval Blanc from a half bottle, it was so understated and classy, but with an underlying strength, light on its feet. This ‘47 Cheval Blanc was more like that, but, yes, with a nuanced “port like” profile that was like quite nothing I’ve ever tasted. Amazing.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JimHow wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:02 pm Another night of legendary generosity and camaraderie in Ft. Lauderdale as Stuart and Kathy Roberts again host us at Wine Watch. The wines were presented in several flights. We started with an accessible 2009 Dom Perignon, our second Dom of the evening, as we had uncorked an equally forthcoming 2012 Dom on the ocean view deck at the Hilton, along with yet another bottle of 168th edition Krug.

The first flight was 1982 Leoville Las Cases (93 points) and 1986 Pichon Lalande (91 points), which Peter had uncorked 24 hours earlier. The last two times I've had this 1982 LLC beast it has finally come to show its complexity. The Pichon Lalande, on the other hand, does not seem to be improving.

We then moved on to three vintages of Montrose. We were pleasantly surprised by the 1986 Montrose (93 points), monolithic in the past but then again I haven't consumed it in probably 20 years. The 1989 Montrose (95 points) was singing in all its glory, a wine that has historically stood up to the acclaimed 1990. They say the 1990 Montrose (n/r) at our table last night was corked, it certainly was dominated by overwhelming brett. Tommy's 1955 Cos d'estournel (93 points) was a fun addition to the flight, fully resolved, lighter rose colored, almost burgundy-like, very fragrant, one of the bouquets of the night.

Next up were two brilliant examples of 1982 Lynch Bages (95 points) and 1989 Lynch Bages (100 points), the '89 my wine of the night with its hallmark lead pencil and cassis, and virtually no signs of aging. For me, 1989 Lynch Bages is just the ultimate expression of Pauillac. This BWE icon is a 200 year wine. I think Peter liked the '82 Lynch better, they were both brilliant. 1982 and 1989 Lynch are the two great book ends of that legendary 1980s stretch for Jean-Michel Cases, the 1982 initiating the transition from old school Lynch to a more modern model. always a thrill to drink these wines, it never gets old.

So then of course Stuart decides to throw a couple Moutons into this northern Medoc tasting, oh, the 1982 Mouton (97 points) and 1986 Mouton (95 points).... I mean, come on now. The generosity is legendary. I kept coaxing the 1986 Mouton for its legendary finish but on this night the rich 1982 may have edged it out, these two wines have battled it out before, they are evenly matched but differently styled.

And then out came the Lafites. Oftentimes when we have Lafite at these dinners it gets overshadowed but not on this night. These Lafites were absolutely breathtaking in their elegance and strength. The 1986 Lafite (96 points) is still monolithic but there is a big core of fruit that smacks you in the face. The classic 1988 Lafite (98 points) is an ultimate Jim How wine, I drank more of this wine than any of the others and it was otherworldly in its classicism and restraint with the cheese and dessert. The 1990 Lafite (98 points) was in full glory, just totally open on the nose and palate, just wow. And then... Stuart pulls out a freaking 1959 Lafite (100 points).... OMG.... These few 1959s that I've had over the years have such unique character and personality, I think I've enjoyed them even more than the epic 1961s. This is a 100 point wine, rivaling the 1989 Lynch.

We finished with Peter's 1955 Sigalas Rabaud (96 points) I'm pretty sure was a first for me, heavenly decadent with the cheeses sourced by Stuart from frommages.com.

Holy smoke, what a night. What a memorable weekend. That 1947 Cheval Blanc from the night before was the thrill of a lifetime, and the 1959 Lafite Rothschild was not far behind. In the end, of course, BWE is more about the people, and less so the wine. It was so much fun hanging out with the crew at the hotel and the wine dinners. We'll see you again next month in London! THANK YOU STUART!

JimHow
You probably knew this already Jim but Lafite is the first among equals

I agree with you on the 1988 the quintessential Lafite

I am so jealous about the 1959 a wine I will probably never try

However on Tuesday we are drinking the 1961 in memory of a deceased friend with the 1985 and 1989 in the same flight - the latter from the very same case that carried all before it in NYC in October 2009

I did however try two dodgy bottles of Cheval Blanc 1947 about a decade ago -

With the Lynch what was the view around the table of the 1982 vs 1989?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 59 Lafite is in a separate universe from the 61, which Stuart has shared with us in the past. Not sure what went wrong for Lafite in 61 but the ‘59 had it all. A 100 pointer.

I think Peter was leaning towards the 1982 Lynch, Ian, I’m not sure where Tom stood. The ‘89 Lynch is a complicated wine. It needs a ton of air, really, 24 hours worth. We popped and poured. The ‘82 was uncorked about three hours earlier. The ‘82 Lynch is an amazing wine, no doubt about it. This ‘89 Lynch had everything I look for in the wine, the personification of Pauillac.

Not to get lost in the shuffle of the weekend was Tom’s 1988 Lafleur. Another huge “revelation” for me, for whatever reason I was expecting something delicate and feminine, and this puppy was masculine, fruity, more like a 1998 right banker than a 1988. This was also one of my wines of the weekend, but then again there were so many. Wow! 99+ points. Thanks again for bringing it, Mr Anonymous Benefactor!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes no illusions here about the 59 vs 61 Lafite
marcs

Post by marcs »

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!

I am in awe…wasn’t there a haut brion dinner almost as amazing by the Florida crew a while ago? You all are at another level down there!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Legendary, I have no words!
Claret

Post by Claret »

Sounds like my 86 Montrose is sorta, kinda getting ready for consumption?
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes Glenn the 1986 Montrose was a pleasant surprise for me, I last remember it from like 20 years ago as kind of nondescript, but it was very distinctive this weekend, rich and 1986-like. Kicking myself for not bringing a 2019 Montrose to throw into the flight. Ah well, next time.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

The unusual amount of rain and clouds was the only depressing part about the weekend. BWE stalwarts filled the venues and brought their own brand of sunshine with them from parts north and west and no one complained it was too hot. Everyone looked good. Maybe all that wine keeps them in a perfect pickled state of preservation.

While my collection is notoriously old I did not request or expect the others to bring so many mature wines but they seem to enjoy the challenge so that among us we were able to do some mini- or micro- horizontals. And especially due to some controversy here about the state of 1982 Bordeaux, I wanted to include several examples.

TLDR: ‘82 Right Bank mostly fading, ‘82 Left Bank mature but mostly going strong.

Jim’s outstanding notes tell it all, even allowing for serious grade inflation for his beloved ‘89 Lynch Bages :roll: . And yes, the ‘47 Cheval was fascinatingly sweet and interesting and ‘82 L’Evangile is still its beautious fragrant self if you hit a good bottle. My favorite Friday night for sheer pleasure though was the ‘90 Beauséjour Duffau Lagarosse at its glorious peak. Saturday I thought the ‘90 Lafite was spectacular and luscious and the ‘59 was a fine example; the ‘88 is somewhat rustic as befits the vintage. The ‘89 Montrose now equals the clean examples of the ‘90 and the ‘86 is very drinkable now. The ‘82 Mouton was an excellent flamboyant specimen while the ‘86 was just a bit subdued. The ‘55 Cos was definitely alive and worth going back for additional sips. I held back the Sauternes I was thinking of bringing when I learned Peter had the ‘55 Sigalas Rabaud in tow and I’m glad I did since it was truly remarkable with just the right amount of non-cloying sweetness and admirable complexity.

A fun event and glad to see everyone in good spirits.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

A little late, I just read the posts and watch the video. Just amazing

thank you jim for filming and sharing.

What an incredible moment. We can feel the magic there was this night

It's always interesting to see the magic there is in these meeting-diner.

I hope to be able to participate and see members of bwe again soon.

I forgot, the Wine line-up, speechless!!!

JeanFrederic