Alexis Lichine 1962 classification

Musigny 151

Alexis Lichine 1962 classification

Post by Musigny 151 »

The thread on Berserker board how much it cost to visit Mouton Rothschild ($300 plus) reminded me that on my first visit to Bordeaux in 1985, only one classified chateau was open to the public; Prieure Lichine, owned by the brilliant and charismatic Russian emigre, Alexis Lichine. The fact that this was open to everyone decades before others, showed the genius of the guy. I thought it interesting that he felt the 1855 classification was outdated, and did his own version, which did not go down to well. It is a fascinating look at the Bordeaux hierarchy at the time, and while I would argue with a few (VCC obviously) I think it is a lot closer to the current realities of Bordeaux.

The easiest version as in Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_Li ... deaux_wine

Alexis Lichine's classification of Bordeaux wine

In considering the Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855, Alexis Lichine held the opinion that the list, some hundred years after the selection was made, no longer expressed the whole truth concerning the ranking of Bordeaux wine. Working for a reevaluation and change of structure of the classification of Bordeaux estates, he ended up spending much of his professional life on a campaign that lasted more than thirty years to accomplish a revision. Having published his Classification In 19...
JoelD

Re: Alexis Lichine 1962 classification

Post by JoelD »

This is quite interesting. And has aged fairly well. I like and agree with almost all of his top 3 classifications. Other than his dud on VCC being his version of a third growth.
jckba

Post by jckba »

While perhaps none as flagrant as the VCC, there are a number of other 3rd growth classifieds that I would be bumping up an notch including Canon, Calon Segur, Haut Bailly, Lynch Bages and Rauzan Segla.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Don’t forget this is his last review, done in 1978. Seems good view to me.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I am not too sure about this classification...

It’s interesting where he placed his own chateau, which is more than debatable... :?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I knew the name "Alexis Lichine" as a child, yet I didn't begin buying Bordeaux until I was in my '50s.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Very cool....I luv the fact that D'armailhac is above Clerc Milon which is my feeling as well.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I believe his name is associated with Burgundy too...maybe as a negociant
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

He was involved in all things wine. Rereading his biography, I get the feeling he was a pirate manque. Brilliant, restless, charming and amusing. I did meet him once, but he died in 1989 before I went full time into the wine business.

He was indeed a negociant in Burgundy, wrote an encyclopedia of wine, was a financier, a sales agent, apparently possessed of an extraordinary palate, and had the most vivid history after leaving Russia in 1917 to escape the Bolsheviks.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

His book was my first wine book! Studied it religiously.
Brian Pinci