The 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages has been uncorked....

JimHow

The 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages has been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

It has been a momentous week.
Time to live a little.
stefan

Re: The 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages has been uncorked....

Post by stefan »

Another day; another $500 great wine. Ho-hum.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The provenance on this bottle seems superb.
The capsule spinned easily. The cork is perfect.
Deep brooding purple color, and that telltale lead pencil and cedar on the nose.
I'm going to decant this puppy.
Attachments
IMG_1960.jpg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Baby doll.... The color on this is so rich and youthful. A 200 year wine.
First sips on the palate, omg this brings me back to the early days of BWE....
Attachments
IMG_1961.jpg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

12.5%....
Attachments
IMG_1962.jpg
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Hot damn!

I thought at first this must be an old thread revived.
Adrianthemeatball

Post by Adrianthemeatball »

89 is the birth year of both my wife and I, and I actually thought about buying a couple bottles of the 89 lynch for us, but given the current price, I will probably pass...
Will
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I thought the same as Blanquito. Every once in a while it's great to just open one of these aged beauties by yourself How is it showing with the decant and also compared to the one from Florida? (not sure if that was yours from the same batch or not)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm exhausted after this long week but suffice to say that, when I uncorked this bottle earlier tonight, there were two bottles on sale at K&L for $395 plus tax. Halfway through this bottle I decided to buy both bottles. When I went to order it, there was only one left. I bought it at $395, with tax it is $426. MichaelP has graciously offered to pick it up for me at the Redwood store. He is an amazing man, he has done this on multiple occasions. Seriously, Mike, I'm more than happy to have them ship it to you, but if you can pick it up, even better...

This wine is a masterpiece. It is da Vinci, it is Chopin, it is Shakespeare, it is Caruso... This wine transcends. It is beyond beauty. It transcends into realms of philosophy and our very existence. We are conscious beings existing in a breath of time, in a universe expanding violently through space and radiation, and through some miraculous confluence, in this one-zillionth of an eye blink of time, some farmers in this small parcel on a rock traveling 35,000 miles per hour through an ever expanding universe into eventual oblivion, crossing multiple dimensions, grabbed out of the earth some "grapes," or so the plasma-unit "farmers" call them, and produced this nectar that, in my fleeting consciousness, I have experienced tonight.

It is late now and I have had a long week. I am tired. Tomorrow I will go into more detail as to why this complicated wine is the greatest wine ever produced. It is a complicated issue. Being the greatest wine ever produced does not come easy. Suffice to say that I have rated this beautiful bottle at 100+++. Absolutely breathtaking. Good night for now.

JimHow
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Well said Jim.

I guess i understand a little bit of what you say, since that night in 2001 in Chicago, when the "1989 Poor man Mouton" won the blind tasting.

I repeated many times, always in your company, the tasting of one of the ultimate Pauillac, the 1989 Château Lynch Bages. And you know me, i would give you the business fairly, here, if it was not what i thought.

Good night. Will happily read more tomorrow.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I purchased 1989 Lynch Bages primeur for app. 35 $ taking the present value of this currency. 1982, half the price of 1989, was as excellent as Mouton R 1982 in September 2021. 1985 whose price is between 1989 and 1982, is rumored to be great. These are old-styled wines. 2005 which I also have, was 80 dollars and is a relatively modern wine.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I might just buy a bottle of the 2019 while I can get it for $170 locally
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So a couple weeks ago I had the pleasure of drinking a 1990 Beausejour Duffau in Florida. This St. Emilion was every bit as thrilling as expected from its RMP100 rating. It was stunning, a pinnacle of everything that brilliant merlot from the right bank has to offer: Amazing bouquet, seductive a point fruit on the palate that was so sensual and yet not losing its classiness. It was a huge crowd pleaser at a table among other epic right bankers.

This 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages is not that. 1989 Lynch Bages, in my opinion, is the greatest wine ever produced by man. I have had over 100 bottles over the years. But it is a wine that should never be brought to a tasting where other Bordeaux greats are served. 1989 Lynch Bages usually gets lost in the shuffle because its greatness is so nuanced. It is the ultimate expression of Pauillac. And for that reason alone it is not going to be a big, upfront, flashy, seductive St. Emilion. It is Oxford/Cambridge restraint, nuance, breed. And the other hallmark of this wine, which I have mentioned many times, is that it needs a huge amount of oxygen. This is a 200 year wine. It is STILL incredibly youthful, at now 34 years old. When I first opened this pristine bottle last night there was very little on the nose, but I could tell this was going to be yet another great bottle of 1989 Lynch. I decanted. Slowly, as the night evolved, the classic, classic lead pencil and immaculate cassis emerged. Drinking 1989 Lynch Bages is a religious experience for me. I feel the wonderment of the universe, not because I'm buzzed -- this baby is only 12.5% -- but because it just makes me appreciate how lucky we are to be in this sliver of time and place, with five senses, experiencing this instance of a vintage that will be here and gone in an instant of time. It is a glorious, magnificent wine, it is da Vinci, Chopin, Shakespeare, and Caruso. The color is still a deep ruby/purple with absolutely no evidence of fading at the rim. We used to get it for $35 back in the day. I just bought another bottle from K&L last night for $395 plus tax. It went recently for $700 at auction. The finish on this absolute classic lingers for a minute or more, like a 1986 Mouton, numbing the taste buds at the back of your tongue. It is a left bank Medoc from Pauillac. So don't expect it to be a big, sexy, chocolatey right bank merlot. It is complexity and nuance. The lead pencil defines this wine. As always, the last sips are the best. The 1989 Lynch Bages is at the back end of a culmination of efforts from Jean-Michel Cazes in the 1980s that is among the greatest stretch of wines produced in centuries. I used to be involved in politics here in Maine and I remember running into Olympia Snow in a wine shop in Falmouth during holiday season, she was a friend even though I was a Democrat and she was a Republican. I was buying several bottles of the 1989 and 1990 Lynch, I convinced her to buy a bottle of the '89 for their Christmas dinner, it was going for about $75 per bottle at that time, it would have been about 1999. The 1989 Lynch has been the poster child of our website, www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts, for over 23 years. I think we have actually moved the market for this wine, it is now selling routinely for over $500, and went for $700 at auction this week. Jean-Michel Cazes wrote to me personally back in 2003, the confluence of 1980s Bordeaux and its 12.5% wines, with the influences of Jean-Michel and his wine making philosophies, produced this Mona Lisa, this Hamlet, a wine that transcends into philosophy and religion. It is Chopin's nocturnes. It is stunning in its left bank subtlety, restraint, class, and power combined with elegance. Magnificent. This effort last night was as brilliant as any of the over 100 times I've had this wine. I rate it, yet again, at 100+++.

JimHow
Tasted 3/3/23
www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com
Attachments
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1964.jpg
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I may need to take another crack at one soon. The bottle that Tim opened at BWE 2021 Saturday night was the best I've had. And one of the top wines of the evening. It edged out both the 89 Pichon Lalande and 89 Purple Baron that night. But they weren't far behind.

Personally I've had a little better experience with the 89 Lalande. It's slightly more my style and has been exceptional every time. But I love both. Whats your second all time favorite Bordeaux behind the 89 Lynch, Jim? Is there any one that is a close approximation for you and hitting a lot of those same characteristics that you love about the 89 Lynch?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Oh wow! I should be able to line up some of the 2019 for our Saturday extravaganza. It has a lot to live up.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was thinking of bringing a 2019 Montrose to match up against the 2019 Lynch, maybe a blind tasting?
Can be Saturday or any night.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes great idea … for Saturday? I will be bringing 2019 Lynches in 375 format

Apparently the 2020s are even better than the 2019s.

More classical…and…lower in alcohol.

Izak was the first person to flag this…now Decanter’s Georgina Hindle…nothing against Jane Anson but I prefer Georgina - she may be younger but she is more cerebral than Jane.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m thinking of bringing a bottle of 1989 Lynch for Saturday night, or possibly a Lafite. Maybe I can bring a bottle or two of 2019 Montrose as well and we can do a blind tasting with the 2019 Lynch? Just thinking out loud.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I think a blind flight of high end 2019s in London is a great idea.

I can bring a couple.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:38 pm Apparently the 2020s are even better than the 2019s.

More classical…and…lower in alcohol.
I’ve no ‘19 experience to compare to, but I thought most of the 2020s at the UGC were terrific, including the brilliant ‘20 Lynch Bages. I did attend the UGC featuring the 2016s and in comparison the 2020s showed much more structure and were more typical of what I expect and look for in a young claret.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I could bring some 375 of Montrose as well. I also have some Lynch.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thinking aloud - why don’t we do a vertical of Lynch on the Saturday centred around the 1989? I can also bring the 1985.

Joel you say you have halves of the 2019? In bottle? I was going to have to take a case of 12 halves out of storage and pay tax on it but that is fine because I have multiple cases of it. But if you had the odd bottle already in your stash that might be easier.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:58 am Thinking aloud - why don’t we do a vertical of Lynch on the Saturday centred around the 1989? I can also bring the 1985.

Joel you say you have halves of the 2019? In bottle? I was going to have to take a case of 12 halves out of storage and pay tax on it but that is fine because I have multiple cases of it. But if you had the odd bottle already in your stash that might be easier.
I have a couple 375s of each the 2019 Lynch and 2019 Montrose. Happy to bring either or both. Just let me know what you'd like.

I also have the 1985 Lynch I was thinking about bringing. I might also have an 86 around somewhere. Maybe someone else can provide the 83,88,90?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I have secured a bottle of the 1988 in London. So want it or not, you will taste it!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I can bring an 83 Lynch.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m bringing a bottle of 1989 Lynch. How many attendees are there on Saturday night?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Looks like we will be 15, max 16 if I bring a guest.

Does anyone have the 82 or 86 Lynch? Tim do you have any?

I could also throw in a 2006 to illustrate how under-rated and maligned Lynch Bages is outside the 1980s :)

Joel - I will take care of the 2019 Lynch as I have a lot of it. In halves and full bottles. It will be fun to watch how it evolves. I remember the 1985 drinking fantastically well straight out of the gate.

That just leaves the 2019 Montrose situation.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

1. Ian (confirmed)
2. Jim (confirmed)
3. Patrick (confirmed)
4&5. MichaelP and Nalan (confirmed)
6&7. Ed and Lisa (confirmed)
8. Tim (confirmed)
9. Alex (confirmed)
10. Nic (confirmed)
11&12 Tom and Gail (confirmed)
13. HM$ (confirmed)
14&15 Joel and Daniela (confirmed)

Did I miss anyone?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’ll make sure there is some 2019 Montrose present, Ian.
I think we should do a blind tasting of 2019 Lynch and 2019 Montrose, and possibly a third 2019…. Perhaps Branaire, Patrick?

If the other 2019s are in 750 format, how do you propose they be presented blind against the 2019 Lynch? I suppose they don’t have to be blind.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Should I bring 2 half bottles of 2019 Montrose, Ian?

As for the 1986 Lynch, I believe I have a bottle so you can tentatively put me down for that. Just need to find it and confirm. However if someone else happens to have one for sure, then that might work better. I definitely have the 1985.

I have a few other 2019's. d'Issan. Leoville Poyferre. Branaire ducru. All of those are 750's. Happy to bring any of them.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I have an 86 Lynch as well acquired recently via auction, from the same lot as what I brought to dinner recently with Ed and Lisa in SF, but based on the showing of the first bottle, this lot probably wasn’t stored perfectly. That said, happy to bring it.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

For 2019s, I can bring a Branaire, DDC, d’Issan, Giscours, or Ferriere.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I vote that the flight be served blind: 2019 Lynch, 2019 Montrose, and 2019 Branaire.
We saw how the '82 Branaire performed in the Anonymous Benefactor tasting in NYC back in 2003, let's see if history can repeat.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

D’Issan is a beautiful wine in 2019 and one of the lowest in abv terms in the whole vintage at 13.3%
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ok, I’ll definitely bring a 19 Branaire and if I have room (starting to get full), a 19 d’Issan… So it is ordered, so it shall be done.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:45 pm Ok, I’ll definitely bring a 19 Branaire and if I have room (starting to get full), a 19 d’Issan… So it is ordered, so it shall be done.
I can bring the d'Issan if you're bringing the Branaire. I wouldn't mind checking in on one. It can be a 4 bottle blind taste. I haven't tasted any yet, but I would bet on d'Issan being the most identifiable of the bunch.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Traditionally we do a three bottle blind tasting where Lynch faces off against the Purple Baron and a wine like Branaire or Lagrange in there to keep things honest. I don’t think we should deviate too far from the focus, which is to see how Lynch matches up against the machine that is 2019 Montrose. That doesn’t mean of course that I’m not interested in tasting 2019 d’Issan, we can drink that too or make it the third bottle. We’re basically dealing with one small flight here, maybe at the beginning or at the end, they are going to be relatively small pours of each wine. I’m just really curious to see how the “greatest ever” 2019 Lynch matches up against the 100 point Montrose.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Sure, that makes sense Jim. I'll happily bring an 80's Bordeaux instead if we don't want to expand the tasting. I'll just leave it up to you and Ian to tell me which 2019's (if any) you guys want me to bring.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

So let’s do a 2019 Lynch vs Montrose with D’Issan in there as the underdog?

Not sure about whether we should do this at the beginning or the end? We will have a lot of more mature clarets obviously with the food dishes. Including our mini Lynch vertical from the 1980s. Thoughts?

And first we are going to have to cope with the ordeal of drinking DP and Cristal 08 on arrival.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m totally flexible. Ok I’ll bring 1989 Lynch and 2019 Montrose for Saturday night. With Joel’s 2019 d’Issan and Ian’s 2019 Lynch, we can do a fun little blind tasting at the beginning, middle, or end, I’m curious to see how those three highly touted 2019s match up against each other in a blind format. I’ll leave it to you Ian how you want to handle the logistics of the blind tasting.