Thunder in London, 22 years after Chicago : 2019 Lynch Bages vs 2019 Montrose

Nicklasss

Thunder in London, 22 years after Chicago : 2019 Lynch Bages vs 2019 Montrose

Post by Nicklasss »

Thunder in London, 22 years after Chicago

A new era of challenge, competition and future legend for Château Lynch Bages

Saguenay, Québec, Canada

Nobody seem to figure it that way, or care very much, but a new clash, a Big Bang, will generate what might be a new Universe of challenge, competition and future legend.

We remember in 2001, in Chicago, in the first blind tasting of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast first annual convention, when promoter Jimmy Howaniec (Bordeaux wines lover and philanthropist) was the promoter of one of the greatest Pauillac of all time, the « Poor man Mouton Rothschild », the 1989 Château Lynch Bages. It was still in the early moment of that brand new Bordeaux wine site BWE, when many young enthusiasts gathered in Chicago, after organizing a blind tasting of the famed Cazes family wine, against one of the top tier other 1989 from Pauillac, the « Purple Baron », the 1989 Château Pichon Longueville Baron… many bling tastings of these two wines have been repeated at BWE since that time, and the Pauillac from the Bages plateau getting out of the ring with the victory almost all the time*…

Everything have been quiet after the 1989 vintage, as some are thinking that Château Lynch Bages lost it’s luster in the following vintages, while some other are still motivated to rank it Second Growth. The Château Pichon Longueville Baron has not turned glossy, bad or any unclear status, as this is probably a wine that have gained some of the most positive reviews since 1989. Another Château that has performed a bit like the AXA Millésimes top wine, is not in Pauillac, but just a bit up North, the Château Montrose. Montrose has been kind of a « understated legend », as Saint Estèphe is less known than the other 3 of the Médoc, Pauillac, Saint Julien, and Margaux, but want it or not, if there is a wine that could repeat the feat of Baron Philippe de Rothschild Pre-1973 Second Growth, it could be Montrose…

30 vintages after 1989, come the 2019 vintage, marked by COVID time, and, and, and, better vineyards management than ever, improvements in wine making techniques, and the convergence of many factors that have favorise the production of a 2019 Château Montrose of First Growth quality. Some members on BWE, have already endorse that the 2019 Montrose is kinda out of this World… Mr Howaniec statement about the 2019 is evocative: « The greatness of 1980s Bordeaux matched with modern winemaking excellence, a nod to past and present. Nice acidity, this wine will path along the obligatory "drink now and for the next 50 years." There will undoubtedly be a five year "awkward period," (3-5 years?, 5-7 years? I dunno, who cares), but drink this wine now (with a VERY hearty meal), or over the next 30-50 years. This wine is immense. It is a stunner. It rivals the greatest Montrose vintages ever, 1989-1990. This is a 100 point wine ». Another BWEer Musigny 151, a convinced Vieux Château Certan lover and fan, has also wrote the best thing about the 2019 Saint Estèphe: « I decanted the Montrose 2019 a couple of hours before. Tasted a small amount and immediately fell in love. This was large scaled, complex, and already showing spice mingled with massive amounts of cassis. It wore its mantle of 14.5% alcohol easily, something I personally don’t find often at that level. The finish was long and layered. I have no doubt it will go through a dumb stage, but now it is beautiful. 98++ ». Enough said.

Château Lynch Bages proved in the 80’s that this Pauillac terroir with great vineyards and winemaking decision, could produce something transcending like in 1989… What was clearly expected or not, 30 years after, come the 2019 that is compared to… the 1989! Can that be true? If so, to compare, that mean there would be a second « Tom Brady » soon, Michael Jackson would have make another « Thriller » album, or the next 1990 Château Beauséjour-Duffau has already been produced… But this Bages Terroir in Pauillac is one of the greatest, and the Cazes family made great Lynch Bages more than once in the past and the 2019 is already glorious as per many serious critics. At BWE, some members have tasted the « new myth », and have confirmed that the 2019 Lynch Bages is a homerun, a great Pauillac, and a… relative bargain for a 100 points wine, and they bought a lot of it. Personally, me Nicklasss, I’m believing the hype, as having taste the 1989 often, many Lynch Bages from the 80’s, the solid and legend 1990, the younger 1996 and 2000 that are not the 1989, but surely top Pauillac, this estate can surely produce incredible Pauillac.

Well, long stuff to confirm that in 2023, in the City of London, the convincing host of the name of Comte Flaneur, one of the fairest Bordeaux taster of « The Big Smoke », has convince the members attending the 23rd BWE annual convention to do a blind tasting of the 2019 Lynch Bages and 2019 Montrose, to have a clear view about something that could be a synchronicity, that will change the future forever.

*The 1989 Lynch Bages would have lost one time against the 1989 Pichon Baron, in San Francisco in 2017. But it won all other BWE tastings between these two...
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: Thunder in London, 22 years after Chicago : 2019 Lynch Bages vs 2019 Montrose

Post by JimHow »

lol, love it, Nicola!
Let’s get it on!
Comte Flaneur

Re: Thunder in London, 22 years after Chicago : 2019 Lynch Bages vs 2019 Montrose

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Well done Nic!
Need to canvass views as the what stage of the evening we do this shootout. I would suggest perhaps early in the evening after the champagne reception…then we can relax with the older wines?
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I agree tasting the 2019s early and together is the way.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MAINE TIMES

Internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist preparing for Thunder in London.

Lewiston, Maine (AP): Internationally renowned attorney and philanthropist Jimmy "Lynch Bages" How stopped to speak with reporters this morning in this scenic snowy New England hamlet.

How, recently returning from several war-torn countries with fellow world humanitarian activists Greta Thunberg and Malala Yousafzai, was in a feisty mood in preparation for the much anticipated blind "Thunder in London" matchup between the 2019 Lynch Bages and 2019 Montrose. The event is sponsored by Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts, the best internet wine web site in the world.

"The dog's bollocks," said How. "I'm afraid the Lynch has been bugger all in recent decades. Blimey."

How hinted that he may bring along another blind 2019 Bordeaux as part of the much anticipated tasting, and promised more details later in the week.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ha ha very good you still remain a master of the (cockney) English vernacular Jimbo!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

LE SUD OUEST

« Seriously, this is becoming daft and dodgy »!

Bordeaux, Aquitaine (AP).

These are the words pronounced by Comte Flaneur’s latest critic muse, Georgina Hindle (Georgie for her good mates), directly from the realm of the greatest red wines, when she read that a face-to-face blind tasting became a 6 participants show. « What was supposed to be a great Wimbledon final is becoming a botched rugby game ».

Another important critic, crossed quickly in Bordeaux at Château Pavie during a vertical tasting of 100 points bottles of that 1er Grand Cru Classé, was also a bit puzzled. Dishy J. Suckling declared « I’m gobsmacked that the vicious J. How amateur band, can change a historic heavyweight fight, into a WWF royal rumble? ». The Wine Spectator magazine ex-star critic couldn’t answered a question, as he went out quickly outside to smoke a fag…

Château Lynch Bages team is laughing about all that situation. « We clearly have live the same type of stuff and more, with our 1989, even in that initial event in Chicago in 2001, and this did just confirmed the hype about our immortal and astonishing 1989 wines… for now and ever. So we’re ready for another round, with our 2019 ».

On the side of Château Montrose, the aristocratic team did not had anything to declare, as all this kind of situation seem new to them, so they probably prefer to leg it for the moment…
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

LONDON TIMES

"The Monster" set to debut in much anticipated "Thunder in London" battle next week.

Lewiston, Maine (AP): A reflective Jimmy “L.B.” How again greeted international reporters on a sunny, crisp morning as winter ebbed away in this breathtakingly beautiful New England resort hamlet. The internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist paused to reminisce of the past glories of Chateau Lynch Bages, the once great claret from the appellation of Pauillac, France.

“Let me tell you,” said How. “The 1989 Lynch. Now THERE was a fighter.”

How hailed the much anticipated upcoming blind face off between 2019 Lynch Bages and 2019 Montose at the “Thunder in London” convention of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts (BWE) next week. BWE is universally recognized as the greatest wine internet website in the world.

“There was the legendary first Chicago convention in 2001, followed by Chicago again in 2004, and yet again in 2009,” said an emotional How. “Some questioned the results of that last epic Chicago battle but of course those are just petty jealousies,” he said.

How was referencing the epic trilogy of battles between the 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages – known worldwide as “the greatest wine ever produced by man” – and the legendary 1989 Pichon “The Purple Baron” Baron, battles that have risen to the lore of Gatti-Ward, Ali-Frazier, and Robinson-LaMotta.

“How Lynch has fallen since ‘89,” said How, barely above a whisper. In London, How will present the latest 100-point effort in his legendary fighting stable, 2019 Chateau Montrose, known in fighting circles as simply “The Monster.”

“It’s not going to be pretty,” said How, shaking his head, as he entered into the rear of his limousine en route to another philanthropic event in the greater central Maine area.

“Thunder in London” is scheduled for the evening of Saturday, March 25th, at Noize Restaurant in London. It is being hosted by legendary London fight promoter Sir Comte Flaneur de Boulevardier.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

While Thunder in London is being conducted in front of a howling crowd, a lesser but no less important event is being planned for the same night. Sadly, there will be no crowd and no howling, but the shock waves from this tasting will prove far more far reaching than a battle between two, too young wines, from some minor vineyards on the West coast of France.

I am of course referring to the epic Bubble gum tasting to be held at the Simpleton Club in the West Village of Manhattan. Many prominent Republican politicians are attending, and guest of honor, Marjorie Taylor Green promises that she will blow the largest bubble, but we won’t see it because Jewish lasers will destroy it.

In the early betting, Bazooka is favorite at even money.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

In a fight between MTG and Tucker I’ve got my money on MTG.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:40 pm In a fight between MTG and Tucker I’ve got my money on MTG.
Agreed, she would spank Tucker.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Blanquito wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:35 pm
JimHow wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:40 pm In a fight between MTG and Tucker I’ve got my money on MTG.
Agreed, she would spank Tucker.
And he would love it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Gotta love circumstances that bring good ole Jimmy LB How out of retirement!

And Mark, the bubble gum tasting! Where’s the like button?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It really is a happy occasion to see that legendary lawyer/philanthropist resurrected from time to time, isn't it? I know this sounds weird, but I feel like he is real, he is one of us, a BWEer. Jimmy is our friend. As long as Jimmy "LB" How exists, BWE exists.... He is as real as these words I'm typing, this site that exists in... cyberspace. Jimmy is real. Jimmy is us.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

HOW ARRIVES IN LONDON

London (AP): What was initially a rumor was quickly confirmed by veterans of the Fleet Street press: Internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy LB How has arrived at Heathrow.

How was quickly whisked into a waiting motorcade provided by his majesty-elect Charles III.

The ebullient American lawyer greeted the British media briefly at the arrivals gate.

“I am honored to be here and extend greetings on behalf of my friend President Biden, and all the American people,” he said. “We celebrate the friendship and freedoms of our two great nations.”

How has arrived for a week long visit as part of the 2023 London convention of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts, the world’s greatest internet wine website.

To the surprise of many, How exited his flight with British Prince Harry and his lovely wife Meghan.

Judging from enhanced security in the neighborhood, it is expected that How and the royal couple will be patronizing several West End nightclubs.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Rumors of How’s impending knighthood has not yet been corroborated by our network.Stay tuned.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Associated Press - breaking news:

Rumours are circulating that Chinese President Xi Jinping hurriedly arranged his visit to Moscow to divert media attention and the ensuing media frenzy that would have surrounded the surprise arrival in London of Internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy LB How with his acolytes Harry and Meghan, seen by the media as a coup for the couple that have been frozen out of the Royal Family.

Rumours abound that King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla are thinking of inviting How back in May as a special guest for their coronation to wrest him away from the affections of Harry and Meghan…
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The stash, minus the greatest wine ever produced by man.
Attachments
IMG_1983.jpg
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Le Journal de Montréal

No voting machine at 2023 Thunder in London

Montréal (AP) : JNic Maltais was spending some times with Prime Minister Trudeau, the Aga Khan and special guest Shania Twain in a secret place in Montréal, waiting the flight to London, when he learned that there would be no voting machine for the new historic fight in London.

While enjoying some 1989 Lynch Bages and 1982 Léoville Las Cases, JNic Maltais was a bit destabilized that for an epic contest like that, the voting system would still be "prehistoric" and dangerously tough for the count, with Jimmy LB How in the room.

"I've seen more than one trick or treat vote at Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast events, but never been able to demonstrate it without any doubts". But at the end, Maltais was keen enough to add that with a smaller group of voters, corruption is invited to stay away... and BWE, The Best Bordeaux Wine site in the World, should normally favorise the wine that is made in that sweet spot, near Latour, Lafite and Mouton.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Did I miss the tallies from the 2019 Thunder in London showdown or … ?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was... epic.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The order of the 2019 blind tasting:

1. Giscours
2. Montrose
3. d’Issan
4. Lynch Bages

1989 Lynch Bages handily won the Lynch vertical.

And then we got on to um, some other wines….
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

THE GUARDIAN

"I lost 2 millions last night..."

London (AP) These are the first words pronounced by the lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy LB How, after the verdict of the blind tasting winner. In a good player, How bet a million on "near perfect" 2019 Montrose, but, having saw what the 2019 Lynch was able earlier in the week, put 1 million as well on the Pauillac. Astonishment when the 2019 Giscours won the tasting... liberating How from 2 millions...

JNic Maltais thought that anything can happen in short tasting fight like that one. The Giscours with its Margaux more open nose and mouth, went slowly but surely to the top without any surprises after all. But it was epic!

Good player, How last declaration was "that %[《$#@ great 2019 Giscours deserves it, and will create more surprises in the coming years. Giscours has been a top Margaux since it won the 2012 BWE WOTY with it 2009".
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Thanks a lot. So much fun reading.
No bias on outcome.... cause all of these fab
four sleeping in my cellar for years to come.
Time to revisit in 10yrs time.