1998 Haut Brion

JimS

1998 Haut Brion

Post by JimS »

Had a good friend in town last night from overseas so decided to open something special...

I don't know what it is with this wine and me, but I feel as if over the years it has become my version of Jim's 1989 Lynch Bages - for my palate, just a perfect match; to watch it evolve and unfurl over the years, revealing a wee bit more of its secrets with each and every new bottle as it evolves. I don't know that I've ever had a "perfect" bottle of wine, but this comes about as close as it can for me with the 375ml of it opened yet again last night. I've always felt over the last 5-10 years that this one was a bit of a sleeper, and relatively undervalued vintage for HB - but I am saddened to see that that is indeed no longer the case (same with the 2002!), and the price is now more reflective of the quality.

This is about everything I desire in a Bordeaux - captivating, spellbinding, etc. When I smell the nose, it transports me to a cigar bar - the sweet scent of tobacco, smoke in the background, with the faint smell of the leather bound books in the mahogany book cases....and on the palate, just really really really coming into its own, particularly in the last few years. Still somewhat understated on the palate, but with enough air, it is starting to show brilliantly now - I would imagine in another 5-10 years, this will be regarded as a near perfect wine (certainly for my palate). Dark fruits, boysenberry, cedar, sweet tobacco, a bit of tarry ash, etc.

An experience I do not often have given the price point and my limited remaining bottles - but it never fails to disappoint....and each time I open one, it always feels like "I'm coming home"....that emotional attachment we all crave with a bottle, an experience, that just keeps us coming back for more in this crazy hobby and passion of ours :)
JimHow

Re: 1998 Haut Brion

Post by JimHow »

Oh man this sounds spectacular, and fits into the discussion of the changes in Bordeaux since the '80s.
It seems to me Haut Brion has just been great for like, what, 500 years?
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

A friend recently a few bottles of 1998 HB as a gift and she brought one to our place for dinner.
It was indeed a beauty!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I also tasted this recently, wonderful now but just coming into its drinking window, IMO. Thanks Stu!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Definitely needs coaxing this wine and very much long haul - one to five Blanquitos from the sweet spot?
Dzurcher

Post by Dzurcher »

I picked up 2 of these on release and opened the first one in a restaurant about 3 years ago-it was spectacular and improved all evening. Our waiter was from Bordeaux and was thrilled to get to have a glass as well.

I've got 1 left...will be difficult to decide when to pop that cork.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I have to say that Haut Brin is the only Premier Cru I’ve bought for some years.
Both HB and LMHB always bring a smile to my face and the 82 and 83 of both are some of my most memorable wine experiences. Pity I can’t find them for the price I paid 30 odd years ago.

Cheers
Mark
JimS

Post by JimS »

Love it - HB is probably one of my top 2 FG's if I had to rank them, in my mind. I wish the pricing was more within my budget these days, and at times it is hard to justify buying when I can buy multiples of something like, let's say, Ch. Montrose, but every time I open one of these wines, it's like coming home for me and the external world just melts away for a few hours. 375s are firing nicely now (what I opened the other night - just entering a great window), but for 750s, I think they could use at least another 5 if not 10 years to really come into its own.

Cheers
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Glad you had such a good experience with it again. Every proper bottle of Haut Brion that I’ve had has been amazing. The 2000 is the most expensive bottle of wine I’ve purchased after DavidG shared it at BWE 2021. I’m very much looking forward to it again in 5-10 years. It would be fun to do against the 1998!