Nebbiolo wines tasting

Nicklasss

Nebbiolo wines tasting

Post by Nicklasss »

Nebbiolo March 16th 2023

Had a nice tasting of nebbiolo wines, with my local tasting group. Was very interesting to have six bottles of the 2012 vintage, and one bottle of 2004. Tasting was not blind. And color were basically not very different.

2004 Produttori del Barbaresco Rio Sordo Riserva : nice nose of medicinal herbs, red and violet berries, camphor, onion peel and flowers. As first wine tasted, first sip was incredibly acid ànd tannic, but became better during the night. Nice red berry and red cherry flavors, supported by some medicinal tones and strawberries. Evolved nicely, mouth stayed a bit lighter than Barolo, but lot of character with freshness and tannins. Tn : 91. My 4th favorite, group 4th favorite too.

2012 Punset Barbaresco Campo Quadro : maybe sligthy darkest wine among all. Ripe and complex nose of raisins, ripe purple fruits, pink peppercorn, gingerbread, tea and plum. Mouth was having a strong purple and blue berry attack, some concentration here, spices and a classic mineral long tannic finish. Still young but still enjoyable now. Tn: 92-93. My 2nd favorite, group 2nd too.

2012 Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera : this was the most severe wine of the night, but i thought it was quite good, while will drink better in 1 or 2 blanquito. Nose of sweat, salt, concentrated cherries, old tobacco and black olives. In mouth, severe, with nice flavors of black fruits (blackcurrant, black plum), dense black licorice, anise, with lot of tannins, good acids and long black earth, plums and vine wood finish. Was amazing to compare to the next wine Tn : 91. My 5th favorite, group 3rd favorite.

2012 Elvio Cogno Barolo Cascina Nuovo : nice powerful nose of red cherries, red berries, in a sweet style, mixed with peppermint, light spices and flowers. Rich nose. Mouth was kind of nice mixture between concentrated ripe redberries, cranberries, tannins surrounded by fruit, and traditional spicy, cough syrup and anise flavors too. Having acidity, drink well and is convincing. Tn : 93. My 1st favorite, and group 1st too. It was amazing to compare with previous wine as the only major difference is the terroir.

2012 Paolo Conterno Barolo Riva del Bric : took some time to open, but showed concentrated bitter cherries, raisins, cinnamon and some spices. Mouth was classic too with concentrated cherries and darkberries, vine wood, light tar, with acid long dryer tannins long mineral finish. Excellent. Tn: 92. My 3rd favorite, group 5th.

2012 Paolo Scavino Barolo : seems like this wine never really opened on that special night. Need 10-15 more years i guess. There was some blackberries, black cardamom on the nose, but nothing more. Mouth was also closed, old cherry, concentrated red berry flavors, with bit of smoke on final. Medium tannins and acid. Tn : no rating.

2012 Fabio Oberto Barolo Riserva : this too took some more time to open, but showed black berry, purple grape and old wood aromas. Mouth was a bit more open, with flavors of purple berries, black berries, exotic wood and balsamic tones (a bit like in some Rioja). A bit more sweet wood than other, but balanced with the fruit and tannins. A bit less acid. Tn : 90. My 6th favorite, group 5th favorite (ex aquo with the Paolo Conterno).

What to say? Of course, just open the bottle and pour each wine in a glass, enjoyed over 4 hours was not enough time. But you already have a good impression of each wine and it was a solid group, with nobody taking a heavy lead. First sips were a bit rough, but with time it became better. All these wines should be even better in 5-15 more years, proving that lot of time is need.

Looking forward to taste more nebbiolo wines, next Thrsday in London.
jal

Re: Nebbiolo wines tasting

Post by jal »

Nice tasting.
I think 2004 Produttoris are still too young. I immediately regret opening them.
And yes 2012 is not the most fruit forward year. It's an old fashioned, recalcitrant, kind of vintage that will need a long time. 2011 and 2013 on the other hand are much more friendly.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Re: Nebbiolo wines tasting

Post by Blanquito »

jal wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:43 pm I think 2004 Produttoris are still too young. I immediately regret opening them.
This. I had a 00 PdB Moccagatta Riserva at age 15 and it was shockingly tight on day one (arrived for business only 24 hrs after opening). In the bigger vintages, these take at least 20 years to even think about.