Barolo, Burgundy and Bordeaux...

Chateau Vin

Barolo, Burgundy and Bordeaux...

Post by Chateau Vin »

So, one of my high school buddies visited from Beantown last weekend. It’s 35 years since we last met while we were in high school, and it was great seeing his family, and in honor of his visit we had the following over couple of nights...

1989 Olivier - great fill and the bottle was in very pristine condition. Just popped and poured. Right off the bat signature cigar box and gravel on the nose. Well resolved tannins although can feel ever lightly in the finish. Cassis, blackfruit and some cedar. Nice balance and nuanced with ample acidity. I think I mentioned to Jim earlier, that I took a chance on couple of these bottles at Cellaraiders for 30 bucks each, and now I feel elated by the purchase...

1996 Lafon Rochet - This was my last bottle and it didn’t disappoint. Perfectly stored and it was firing on all cylinders. Although seems plateaued in terms of its evolution (compared to last one I had maybe 3 yrs ago), it was a kick to have it in the lineup. Graphite, charcoal, crushed stone and cassis were evident. My friend commented ‘wow, surprised to find how much fruit was left at this age’. Yes, it was that good.. And yeah, it did have pronounced tannins for the wine...I wish I had couple of more bottles...

2005 Jean Claude Boisset Gevrey Chambertin - Even though it’s a village wine, considering the vintage, I expected a bit more. I felt the effort could have been a bit stronger as I felt a bit thin compared to the next village wine I describe. Soft and round with a bit less structure, but enjoyable nonetheless. Nose was giving not much other than some red cherries.

2005 Bruno Clair Chambolle Musigny Les Veroilles - This single vineyard village wine was a dandy. It shows that good producer in a good vintage and well stored bottle goes a long way even if it’s a village wine. The nose was reticent at first, but considerably opened up over an hour or so. As it started to unfurl, I had to grab the decanter to speed it up...On the nose, it had raspberries, flowers and a hint of even black fruit. Good tannins with perfect acid, and had considerable structure compared to Gevrey. Bruno Clair is known to produce robust wines, and it shows. It held up its own to the Bordeaux and I liked this over the Bordeaux although Lafon was not far off... Consumed over a span of 2 hrs, and the last pours were better than the ones before...

2006 Cappellano Pie Rupestris - Oh Cappellano!! Opened the cork 5 hrs before and then decanted for another hour. This is a terrific wine, although a baby. The nose was muted at first and gave a little bit more after half an hour or so. Rose petal, hint of truffle at the outset. On the palate, savory cherry backed by well balanced tannins, acid and fruit. Nothing is overpowering and everything is in harmony and balance. A bit less on the nose than I expected, but balance wise on the palate, it is every bit of what you expect from a great producer. I reckon it will further improve in another 5 to 10 yrs...

2015 Vajra Bricco Delle Viole - I got three bottles of this and ITNOS, wanted to try one. Another great effort by Vajra in a cooler vintage, and the freshness shows. I felt it was in its dumb phase, and refused to do any hopping for us. Needs another decade or more to start showing its goodies. But the stuffing was all there. Tannins, acid and fruit are all there and didn’t feel any heat. Some cherries and boysenberries on the palate. I expect more when it starts to wake up from its slumber...
Attachments
D667B345-EBCB-4204-8C53-0582CEC9A65D.jpeg
jckba

Re: Barolo, Burgundy and Bordeaux...

Post by jckba »

Nice notes on a nice set of wines and what vintage was that Vajra BdV as 2015 was anything but cool?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

jckba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:11 am Nice notes on a nice set of wines and what vintage was that Vajra BdV as 2015 was anything but cool?
It was 2015, but for me as far as Piedmont region goes, 2015 is cool enough for me, considering the hotter vintages recently, but agreed is not as cool as 2013...
jckba

Post by jckba »

I see it more as having been a hot vintage that was handled better than in previous warm years. And is that your experience across the board or just with this wine?
AKR

Post by AKR »

very nice lineup