London 2023 BWE convention

Nicklasss

London 2023 BWE convention

Post by Nicklasss »

I'm still emotionnaly high. I can't barely get out of my dream. This was epic, but which BWE event is not epic?

Again, going to a BWE event is always like a gentle fun compromise, in term of time, budget and not being with your family. But want it or not, i'm the one who thought from start that if we can focus on the people, that would make the BWE experience bigger, funnier, cooler and one of the most wortwhile as human friendship.

After the obligatory covid break, it was great to find back my BWE friends, in London that is a great city, for a few days. Comte Flaneur organized some truly splendid venues for each night, and i can't thank him enough for that, for his high commitment to accomodate friends the best he could. Bravo!

So people first. I was happy to see back Comte Flaneur just 8 months after last summer. Ian is truely a great person, focusing on sincerity and grest time. Anobody could handle with him for a long time, a quality that most BWEers has. His generosity on that weekend was immense, almost made us cry on Saturday night. Can't wait to see you back Ian.

I was happy to see AlexR after all those years, last time being 2015. Alex is one of the most sympathetic person, with his special France French attitude, and now light US caracter. Comfortable relationship with everyone, like to argue at the same time, any time with Alex is kind of philosophical and re-energizing. Love him and he doesn't get any impact of ages, bein essentially the sae guy i met in 2003...

Handling with Tom and Gail is very great, to make you feel unserious, young of heart, and priviledge, as they are a great couple. Caring a lot for others, you can just feel appreciate by them, so you return the same to them. Inviting and very generous person, Tom again showed his "wine generosity" in London. Big hug to them.

Nalan an MichaelP are also among the coolest people that exist. Of course, i know MichaelP since the very beginning in 2001, and always had a great relationship with him. Nalan is so lovely, positive, smiling, handling with them is great. They have that "open" WestCoast attitude (like Ed and Lisa by theway), and i'm just looking forward to when in the future, i can spend a bit more time with them, with MC.

Lisa an Ed are also a top couple of BWE. Knowing them since 2002, had many conventions/some offlines in their company, always impressed by the gentle attitude of Lisa and the demonstrative character of Ed. Even if i don't do many activiies out of he official dinners with them, it is always a pleasure to sit next to them as you're sure you'll have great discussions about the wines, and genuine special time commenting what going on during the night. I will write it here: i will probably never get back to a big bandwagon visit of Bordeaux Châteaux with BWE in the future, but if Lisa and Ed are part of it, might change my mind!

Tim McCraken, c'est Nickel! Tim is also one of the most generous person, so kind, looking at others. Many conventions too with Tim, and i can just say that you just can't get enough of Tim. Can discuss about anything, always calm, caring, and very fun at the same time. Tim is balanced like a 1937 Pichon Lalande... this say it all. Always in great company with Tim.

Marc Spector might be a quiet guy, but he is also one of the BWE i saw the most at BWE events. A great true BWEers! I have sit near him or at the same table often, discussing about our kids, saying what bug us with sometype of wine... The reserved personnality of Howard is a shield, but personnally, i have always big fun with the Dallas guy. In London, passed some times with the man and few other BWEers out of dinner times, having challenge Howard on Burgundy Friday night, all things that makes my frienship with Howard. Never been to Texas, but i have to plan it sooner than later.

blanquito. Ah, blanquito. About same age as me, same type of significant other, same age range kids, same type of attitude, same palate... oups, maybe not that last one, but it is good. But at the same time, i rated the 2019 Bordeaux from the blind tasting exactly the same as Pat! To be fair, did not spend enough time with blanquito in London, even if we went shortly for ales on Friday night, but what a great person again. Serious and not, profound and light thoughts about wine, he is like a cousin to me (i don't think i'm at his bro level up to now...). Patrick is the type of guy you're always looking forward to see again. I will look what i can do to bring him (and other BWEers) to Québec City. And why not the whole of his family, that we finally feel badly judge by our respective wife? Another of the BWEer i enjoy the most.

JoelD is the youngest energic overflowing wine passionate of BWE. I remember most of us being like him 20 years ago... After meeting him in 2020, i was looking forward to handle with him back in London, and so we did, and so i appreciate him even more. What to say? A bit too much wine oriented at the moment (i think he probably visited 10-15 wine shops in London?), off dinner time with Joel was special as he is open to everything, joking attitude, but at the same time i can see his appreciation of the group is growing on him. He say he still learning about wine (we all do by the way), but he has a great palate for sure. If we can have more young people that are like Joel, the future of BWE will be great. And don't get me wrong, we discussed about way other topics than wine too. See you soon Joel, in your hometown or elsewhere.

I'll come back with Jim.
JoelD

Re: London 2023 BWE convention

Post by JoelD »

Wonderful writeup, Nic. It was a great time getting to know in person finally. As we haven't spent much time together except for BWE 2020 and zoom calls. You definitely understand me based on what you wrote. I am certainly wine obsessed, but if I wasn't then I wouldn't have ever gotten involved with BWE and I am very glad that I did. I'm very hopeful that even if my passion fades a bit, that I'll still be involved with all of this. Maybe just with more balance in my life. I hope to start traveling again a bit more now.

Bordeaux trip to see Alex, anyone? Definitely with a stop in London and Paris to see Ian and Tim again.

Here's to BWE in Canada soon! (Where I won't have to go to many wine stores because of the prices, but I will smuggle you some wines from the US)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

And Jim. I've been knowing Jim since the early beginning of BWE. I live so many conventions and offlines in his company that we have a great long time relationship. Of course, BWE is Jim's baby, but i always work it to make it special, and pass extra time with the BD, during these events. We know each other well, so get along really naturally, so I guess that for a person i see once or twice a year, Jim has become a great friend. It is friendship beyond passion for Bordeaux wines, even with our similarities and opposites. Jim is all the complexity and wonderful sparkle of BWE, in a passionate way.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

And now, the most important is covered, let's go with comments on the wines. First, i did not took any notes at any dinner. This is uncommon for me, but with the time change/jetlag, let say the dinners were a bit rougher than normal, so enjoyed the moment and had more fun with the attendees, instead of being clinically evaluating the wines.

Thursday night
I did not sampled all the wines, as i had kind of a 2 hours directly in the middle of the dinner a bit "off", hit by the jetlag wall. But simply:

2001 – I Clivi – Clivi Brazan Bianco, 21 years old dry white from Frioul that was amazing. On the nose, similarities with a... Corton Charlemagne, ripe nice fruit, some butter, lot of mineral strictness. Mouth was balanced, complex, in a italian white white way. No old or oxydized tones at all, a revelation!

2007 – Emidio Pepe – Trebbiano d’Abruzzo, remind me a naturaly made wine from Jura, without the flor character. Unusual on the nose and mouth, probably wine made in it simplest expression. Kind of onion peel, wax, green lemongrass tones. Unique but hard to rate.

1998 – Roberto Voerzio – Brunate Barolo, the wine i brought. The nose was great, even if a bit modern. Some cherries, red berries, spices and a light meaty character. Powerful effusive nose. Mouth was less opened, but no fault and still have long time to go. I had it as my first red, to make sure bottle was ok. Very niçe stuff.

2010 – Giovanni Canonica – Barolo Paiagallo, even if young, this wine from magnum was in a good place. Complex nose of fruits, violet flowers, and light earth tones. Mouth was also convincing, showing a great mixture of little lush and traditionnal. Good power, balanced, and was my 2nd favorite that night.

1996 – Bruno Giacosa – Falletto di Serralunga d’Alba Barolo, wines from Giacosa are always special and a treat! This again was young, but very drinkable. Giacosa signature was there, being kinda light color for nebbiolo, but superb volatile nose of currants, purple flowers, light smoke, some darkberries but barely. Mouth is medium concentration, but invending, long and sappy. My no 1 that night.

1999 – San Giusto a Rentennano – Percarlo, the only sangiovese that night was a concentrated and tasty wine. Darkberries, tobacco, currants, with a superb dense mouth. Tasty and long, with fruit, chocolate, some tobacco too in mouth. My no 3 that night.

After that wine, i hit my jetlag wall so was a bit zombie for 2 hours...

1970 – Borgogno – Barolo Reserva and 1958 – Barale Fratelli – Castellero Barolo, i know some around the table thought they were extremely good old Barolo. Unfortunately, didn't do it for me. I guess in other circumstances, i could have take more time to try to understand these two wines, but i did not that night.

1998 – Aldo Conterno – Il Favot Langhe Nebbiolo, ligther wine that night, but was very good classic Langhe nebbiolo. Strawberries, red currants and berries, light smoke and roses.

2000 – La Spinetta – Vursu Barbaresco Starderi, i think MichaelP brought that, as he seems to like this producer for having brought other vintages at other convention. This is an extremely well made Barbaresco, dense, fruity, lightly medicinal, ripe sweet darkberries, but with also some smoke flavors. Kind of modern, but balanced and drinking nicely.

2004 – Dominico Clerico – Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra, my first Clerico. Dark, almost black, super concentrated an austere, i almost only got cigarette ashes. Yes, also some severe black dry prunes, and licorice, but i can say this was not to my taste.

2017 – Pio Cesare – Barbaresco, my final wine, ligther than the other, but already drinking nicely. 2017 is very atypical, but up to now, i like them. Classic red cherries and currants, light spices, red licorice and smoke. Nice wine to finish the night.

That was the first night, and more amazing stuff were to come...
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Nic,

I’m weighing in rather late in the game, but I really had to say something about the BWE London convention, especially after your great summary.
First of all, Ian Amstad did us proud in all sorts of ways and, in fact, made everything possible. His good relationship with Mathieu at Noizé resulted in excellent wine service for bottles that really needed it. All very harmonious.
BWE is as much about people as it is about wine, and it was a pleasure to catch up with friends I had not seen in years.
Let’s face it, the average age of BWEers is pretty far along… So it was a special treat to meet Joel, a dynamic young guy with a true passion for learning about and enjoying fine wine. It’s not just old fuddy-duddies that are into this!
Let’s make way for the next generation!
Jim was pretty ebullient as were you, Nic, the other youthful forumite. Tim was clearly in a frame of mind to appreciate the food, wine, and company.
What seemed ironic to me is that three of the participants in a group of 15 or 16 people were from upstate New York: Patrick (AKA Blanquito), Howard Spector, and myself.
Ed was, as usual, larger than life (not that Lisa is a shrinking violet!). Tom seemed to be well and truly laid back since his retirement and Gail was most definitely in a party mood!
I was the only person who took notes at the gala dinner, but I’m rotten at doing this at meals and usually consider it pretty impolite… Furthermore the wines kept coming fast and furious so that, as time went on, I just sat back and appreciated the them without trying to analyse them intellectually.
I would like to thank everybody for contributing such great wines from their cellar, for travelling from afar, and for their camaraderie at an exceptional series of wine dinners.

All the best,
Alex R.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Well done Team BWE 👏🥂🍾!