Interesting cast from Haut Brion

AKR

Interesting cast from Haut Brion

Post by AKR »

Some history and background on Haut Brion and its various estates, from this recent podcast.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/dp/B08K59B64P

Scroll down, it's the first one (when sorted by most recent to oldest).

It's also on many other podcasting networks; I use Google's.

Two interesting items I learned

* Between its purchase in 1935 to 1975, the main Haut Brion estate needed a constant infusion of the owners money every year. And then between 1975-1995 it was breaking even and internal funds could be used for depletion, depreciation etc. 1996 was the first year they could finally pay a dividend out to the American owners. They attribute much of their success and popularity to Robert Parker (!).
* I'm not sure why I never realized it, but their fifth estate - Quintus - which has been assembled out of other vineyards, are all mostly continuous parcels on the limestone plateau in the village. They lightly touch upon the acquisitions, but never mention Tertre Daugay, l'Arrosee, nor Grand Pontet by name. Their ambition is to have a wine that is considered like Cheval Blanc, Ausone, Canon, etc. and they conduct a lot of tasting / comparison to get to that end point. They also make no mention of (now absorbed) former estates like Latour Haut Brion or Laville Haut Brion, which is slightly sad.

Anyways, the cast is worth a listen for BWE who might care for their complex of bottlings.