The BWE Spring 2023 Great Wine Buying Freeze Contest (a la Seinfeld): who can hold out the longest?

Blanquito

The BWE Spring 2023 Great Wine Buying Freeze Contest (a la Seinfeld): who can hold out the longest?

Post by Blanquito »

Mark’s recent mention of a buying freeze “until September” caught my attention, seems like a worthy, if challenging, goal. Better yet, why not share in this effort and even compare notes in the process? Indeed, even compete?

Hence, starting tomorrow Monday April 24th, I invite any and all comers to a wine buying freeze contest!*

Who will blink first? Who can keep his credit card dry the longest? Maybe we need a reward for the winner, perhaps a bottle of a BWE WOTY winner? (2003 Pontet Canet doesn’t count!) Let us know if you’re in!

*Honor system of course, but if/when you blink, report back for mirth and derision and let us know what made you break your vows of viniferous chastity.
stefan

Re: The BWE Spring 2023 Great Wine Buying Freeze Contest (a la Seinfeld): who can hold out the longest?

Post by stefan »

If you are committed to buy due to being a wine club member, does that count as breaking the freeze?
Blanquito

Re: The BWE Spring 2023 Great Wine Buying Freeze Contest (a la Seinfeld): who can hold out the longest?

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:05 pm If you are committed to buy due to being a wine club member, does that count as breaking the freeze?
BD, can we get a ruling?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Being an existing wine club member clearly qualifies as an exemption, Stefan.

On the 2023 freeze, I'm feeling strong! I had planned on holding off through the summer myself, I'm really not seeing much "must have" out there.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:14 pm Being an existing wine club member clearly qualifies as an exemption, Stefan.
Excellent, Stefan is in!
JimHow wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:14 pm On the 2023 freeze, I'm feeling strong! I had planned on holding off through the summer myself, I'm really not seeing much "must have" out there.
Yeah, that’s my feeling too. Plus shipping season is effectively over and I’m (very) well stocked with guilt-free summer sippers, whites, bubblies, and rose.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Tempted to get in on this, however after the last time I tried a buying freeze I went absolutely bonkers when I fell off the wagon. Even though I don't regret almost any of those great purchases.

I'll be joining and rooting in spirit. As I need to at least seriously taper down.
stefan

Post by stefan »

If you are committed to buy due to being a wine club member, and you elect to double your order (not required, but recommended because of availability and price disscounts), does that count as breaking the freeze?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If you are committed to buy due to being a wine club member, and you elect to double your order (not required, but recommended because of availability and price disscounts), does that count as breaking the freeze?
Clearly this qualifies for an exemption as the process was put into effect prior to the announcement of the 2023 Great Wine Buying Freeze. Exemption granted.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I predict my over under is a couple of weeks.

But a slow down is certainly necessary.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Impossible for me. I'll get married in exactly 4 weeks, and i did not buy yet the wine for the dinner...

By the way, why you like to self torture yourself? There is so much shit sometimes in this life, that we don't need self inflicted wine freeze buying!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:46 pm By the way, why you like to self torture yourself? There is so much shit sometimes in this life, that we don't need self inflicted wine freeze buying!
For a moment, I thought you were talking about why torture yourself with marriage. Lol.
Last edited by Blanquito on Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Racer Chris wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:06 pm In the immortal words of Kramer, "I'm out."
Classic!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

But, as a married man, I am sure I can hold out the longest… and buy no wine before anyone else here! Gauntlet thrown!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Not going to join in on this, I’m always in need of more Champagne!

Chris Bublitz
jal

Post by jal »

I'm in
But I am humbly requesting 3 exemptions subject to the below mentioned conditions (similar to the great buying freeze of 2019)

1 This freeze applies only to wines purchased outside of restaurants. Wines purchased in restaurants are exempt.
2 This freeze does not apply to wines purchased to be brought as a gift to a dinner party
3 This freeze applies only to wines purchased in the United States. Wines purchased abroad are exempt as long as they do not get shipped back to the United States but are consumed abroad
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jacques, your three very reasonable exemption requests are granted as within the spirit of the challenge.

Winona, there is of course a general champagne exemption.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Sneaky suspicion that Jim is just trolling us all by accepting every request as a BD exemption :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sneaky suspicion that Jim is just trolling us all by accepting every request as a BD exemption :)
It is a great BWE tradition, Joel, as a Benevolent Dictator I believe strongly in precedent.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Is there a "fantastic deal" exemption? When a when is available for a short time at a great price (say, 25% under low retail), or you have a short term interval in which to but from a private cellar?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh boy we're going to have to address that on a case by case basis, Mr. Johnson, I think you are really beginning to stretch the intent of the freeze.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

JimHow wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:02 pmI think you are really beginning to stretch the intent of the freeze.
How about if I only buy one bottle for every bottle I consume? So I’m not actually “buying” wine, I’m just “replacing” wine :roll:.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

How about if I only buy one bottle for every bottle I consume? So I’m not actually “buying” wine, I’m just “replacing” wine :roll:.
That sounds like a very reasonable sacrifice to me, Stuart, exemption granted.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:45 pm Is there a "fantastic deal" exemption? When a when is available for a short time at a great price (say, 25% under low retail), or you have a short term interval in which to but from a private cellar?
Not sure Jim is the one trolling us here… :)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I almost just bought some Beaujolais, but this thread “froze” me.

It’s working already!
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:02 pm
stefan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:45 pm Is there a "fantastic deal" exemption? When a when is available for a short time at a great price (say, 25% under low retail), or you have a short term interval in which to but from a private cellar?
Not sure Jim is the one trolling us here… :)
The two aren't mutually exclusive. I think there is a very good chance that they're both trolling.

It might be having some reverse psychology effect on me though. The fact that he makes a BD exemption for everything under the sun is helping me realize that I do that for myself constantly! So even if they are trolling, it's actually helping in reverse.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Is there an “I want to buy it” exemption? Say you’ve committed to a buying freeze but you see a wine that you’ve tasted before and liked, or you haven’t tasted it but people you like and trust on the internet have tasted it and said good things about it, and you see that a merchant or auction house is offering one or more bottles in exchange for money?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok!… Ok! Yes, I had to think that one through but I get your point…. Exemption granted.
stefan

Post by stefan »

This might be the best BWE buying freeze ever.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

stefan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:32 pm This might be the best BWE buying freeze ever.
Even BWE is impacted by the climate crisis : freeze of today aren't the same as 20 years ago!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I think I’m gonna win this contest, or at least be a finalist.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm feeling strong, Patrick, I think there is every chance that I make it to Labor Day.
We shall see......
stefan

Post by stefan »

Is there a "new wine cellar" exemption? That is, if you have a new wine cellar but not enough bottles that you can conveniently move into the cellar to make it look decent, can you purchase enough bottles so that you are not ashamed to let your wine friends inspect the cellar?
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:38 pm Ok!… Ok! Yes, I had to think that one through but I get your point…. Exemption granted.
Thank you BD! You are truly living up to the “benevolent” part of your title!

I thought I might not be able to be part of this freeze, but now that there is an “I want to buy it” exemption I feel confident that I can participate!
jal

Post by jal »

stefan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:32 pm This might be the best BWE buying freeze ever.
ROTFLMAO

With all the exemptions, I think Stefan is a shoo-in
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

stefan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:46 am Is there a "new wine cellar" exemption? That is, if you have a new wine cellar but not enough bottles that you can conveniently move into the cellar to make it look decent, can you purchase enough bottles so that you are not ashamed to let your wine friends inspect the cellar?
Jim, should you grant this exemption, will any storage area that has not yet been fully amortized over 30 years qualify as a “new wine cellar?”
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Dear diary,
It has been four days since I last purchased a bottle. I am feeling tired and washed out, but there is a soupçon of satisfaction beginning to show. I have found ways to fill the time that I used to spend opening e mails and wine offers with good deeds like chasing my neighbor’s cats. I still allow myself to open the Beaujolais ones, because I know I will never be tempted by that “traitorous” grape.

Time does go slowly. The calendar on the wall shows four red crosses; there are still more than ninety to go…..
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Musigny 151 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:49 am
I have found ways to fill the time that I used to spend opening e mails and wine offers with good deeds like chasing my neighbor’s cats.

I still allow myself to open the Beaujolais ones, because I know I will never be tempted by that “traitorous” grape.
These got a good chuckle out of me this morning. The most funny part is that these both felt like jokes but by second read seemed like they might be dead serious. Either way, hilarious.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Need a ruling on this.
Last week, we donated a bottle of Taittinger ComtesRose 2007 to a local charity, with a $125 minimum.
I misjudged the denizens of Chappaqua, as there were no bids, so we paid $125 to get our bottle back. Does this contravene the freeze?