Weekend wines

michael

Weekend wines

Post by michael »

So, it's been 11 years since I posted here last. Life with kids ramped up, I stopped checking in as often, and then for some reason I assumed this place had kind of faded away. Then, about a month ago while I was checking on some stuff I CellarTracker I see a posting note from the great JimHow and I think, "Is BWE still around? I wonder what happened to that place?" How cool it has been to see that things are alive and well here, with many of the original personalities from the MSN days still engaging. I've enjoyed catching up on some of what I've missed while away.

2000 Chateau Lagrange
In honor of re-engaging, I thought I'd check in on a wine I was buying back in the MSN days. This is the 4th bottle I've consumed from the six I ordered back in 2001/2. The cork tore in half on the way out, saturated about 1/2 way through. Beautiful nose started wafting up as soon as the cork came out. I decanted 1/2 into a half bottle to save for a second night and then took a nice pour. Dark garnet color in the glass, starting to show some age at the rim. The nose showed red fruits, and some smokey/cedar notes. On the palate this was all burnt cedar and earth. Not overly tannic, but just devoid of any fruit to balance things out. Consumed over 90 minutes it did not appear to be opening up. I was a bit disappointed with how this has developed over the years

Second night was a much better. The decant and time in the fridge seemed to pave the way for the fruit to show come to the surface. Much more balanced with raspberry and some sour cherry flavor to balance out the cedar/earthy notes that were still present. Very enjoyable. I think my bottles just need more time in the cellar or several hours in the decanter to show their stuff. Looking back now it's hard to believe this ran $33 when I purchased it on futures.

2018 Betz - Clos de Betz
One of my favorite "local" wines. This is a Merlot-heavy Bordeaux style wine sourced in large part from grapes grown in the vineyards near my home here in the Mid-Columbia. Obviously still young but approachable now. Dark purple color in the glass, plenty of tannins and acidity to provide structure without overwhelming the fruit. Still very primary but not overripe of plummy. These should drink well for another 10 years and pick up some complexity and secondary notes along the way. An excellent wine, glad I have a few more in the cellar.
JimHow

Re: Weekend wines

Post by JimHow »

Michael! I saw when you came on a month or so ago.
GREAT to hear from you! Indeed, BWE is alive and well.... now into our 24th year!
It has been an incredible run.

For those of you who don't know, Michael is one of the original BWEers from the inception of the site, and also served as an assistant manager with great technical skills that helped us develop the site.

Welcome back!
michael

Post by michael »

Glad to be back and sharing again. Time has flown by. I was just finishing up college when I made my first post asking for advice on which 1982 Bordeaux to buy for celebrating graduation (ended up being 82 PLL, still the best wine I've ever had), and now my oldest is preparing for college...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Is this MM, Nicola’s favorite note writer?

Welcome home!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Welcome back Michael! No Patrick, it is not MM.

Michael, remember me on which BWE convention you were? If I remember well, you were in NYC in 2003, and we were sitting at the same table at the Friday night Bourgogne tasting commented by M. Meadows...
michael

Post by michael »

Thanks Nic, you're close. Erika and I attended the BWE convention in Napa in 2022. It was great times. I'll never forget the bottle of '21 La Tour Blanche SF Ed brought to the dinner. Great stuff.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes Michael was at Napa '02, and his father as well, as I recall.
Michael Case, one of the early BWEers, as well as an Assistant Manager for many years.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yes, Napa 02. I knew it was in Napa or NYC.

Good to have you back. For the record, if i remember well, for the Saturday night convention in Napa i brought a magnum of 1988 Lagrange...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

…and a rendezvous with a Maine whoopie pie.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:54 pm …and a rendezvous with a Maine whoopie pie.
:oops: