2008 Chateau Rouget Pomerol.

Claudius2

2008 Chateau Rouget Pomerol.

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Sipping this now. At 15 years old, it is still young. No browning at all, and will last for many more years. Although this isn’t a top rated Pomerol, the wine is pretty good, and maybe I should have kept the rest of the case longer.

The nose shows a lot of tobacco, savoury, earthy characters and red fruit. There is some dusty oak in the background and a some plummy fruit.

The palate is fresh and well balanced despite 14%ABV. The palate is medium bodied with ripe fruit red and black fruit and some oak. The alcohol does show through somewhat despite the nose showing freshness.

Whilst I do like this wine and it has aged well, it somehow lacks complexity and fruit intensity. It is well made however and Wendy seemed to like it more than me. Maybe the weather here is getting to me…

Cheers
Mark
AKR

Re: 2008 Chateau Rouget Pomerol.

Post by AKR »

nice. I have a 2005 in the 'drink soon' racks.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Arv
I'd look to drink the 05 in the next 5 years.
The 2008 is ready to drink now, with the tannins largely resolved. It won't get any better I'd imagine.
Still a fair bit of acid - just needs a bit more fruit.
I may be being a bit harsh with it as my tastebuds seem to be affected lately (post-surgery or all the drugs I have to take?)
Cheers
mark
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Rouget is essentially a supermarket level wine, no?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
The 2020 according to Bordoverview in Euro46 which is around USD51. Over here the retail price will be higher - not sure what it will be yet. I’d guess SGD100 after the 19 was around SGD80.

It isn’t a great wine by any means but I’d say it is not just a supermarket wine, if that implies average commercial quality. It is well made but never seems to wow me.

I’ve tried the 2019 three times and it is much better than the 2008. I think 08 is a good vintage on the right bank though a bit variable and I’m not sure they have developed as well as I expected.

I found a few more 08s in the back of one of the wine fridges and will drink them in the coming months as I see no upside.

I completely lost my sense of taste for a week or so and it was slow to recover - even the Barossa Shiraz we drank seemed light and had limited aromatics, so I may have largely wasted both but Wendy liked both. Oh well.
Cheers
Mark