New 2020 Bordeaux thread

Comte Flaneur

New 2020 Bordeaux thread

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The last one ended on a very sour and unpleasant note so I propose starting afresh with a new one.

But this one starts on a somewhat controversial note. I have been reading reviews on the 2020s which have been interesting, especially this one on 2020 Pontet Canet from William Kelley:

“While Justine Tesseron declined my request to taste at the property, I was able to acquire a bottle of the 2020 Pontet-Canet for review. The wine starts strong, wafting from the glass with attractive aromas of cherries, sweet berries and plum preserve mingled with lilac and licorice, but that's followed by a medium to full-bodied, firm and extracted palate that lacks the amplitude and flesh to conceal the rather drying tannins which dominate the earthy finish. It's an open secret among Bordeaux insiders that this estate—which has benefited from such significant and laudable investments and which was on such an upward trajectory through 2011—has been a perplexingly erratic performer since 2012, intermingling successful vintages with relative failures, and the 2020 only confirms that. While the 2020 isn't by any means a flawed wine, and time may well be kind to it, it doesn't transcend this estate's fifth growth status, even if this château's terroir clearly has the potential to.” 92 pts.

Neal Martin was persona non grata at Pontet Canet for a while but has kissed and made up with Alfred, and he scored this wine 95, a pretty high score for Neal because he has not succumbed to insidious grade inflation like some of the other critics.

I have bought quite a few 2020s and I am pretty happy with what I bought:

Ausone - 5 x 3 - very high scoring too, slated as wotv
Canon - 2 x 6 WK 100

These were the first purchases with a view to flipping most of them and keep a few of each

D’Issan - 1 x 6
Pichon Lalande - 1 x 3

These were all so purchased in 2021

Then this year:

Conseillante - 2 x 3 WK 100
Troplong Mondot - 2 x 6 GH 100

Montrose 1 x 6 WK 100, NM 99
Ducru Beaucaillou 1 x 6
Duhart Milon - 1 x 6
DDC rouge - 1 x 6
Canon La Gaffeliere 1 x 6

Pretty happy with that lot, possible future purchases - but not during the BWE buying freeze - wines I tasted n loved (no hurry to buy):

Beychevelle
Branaire
Giscours
Gruaud-Larose (not tasted, but I am confident I will love it)
Nicklasss

Re: New 2020 Bordeaux thread

Post by Nicklasss »

I went easy on 2020, buying only few bottles of Clos du Marquis, Talbot (La Conseillante ex-winemaker), Grand-Puy Lacoste and… Jim new darling Calon Ségur. I’m not sure I will buy more…

Intriguing that comment on Pontet Canet.

Good listing of 2020 that you bought Comte.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

I didn't go particularly big on the 2020s either. Just the usual suspects:

Bourgneuf
Duhart Milon
Giscours
La Lagune
Labgorce
Lynch Bages
Phelan Segur
Saint Pierre
Le Marquis De Calon Segur
Tour St Bonnet

Interesting note on the Pontet Canet. Mathieu Bessonet (new PC Wine Director) had his first vintage in 2021, I think.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Greetings from Bordeaux. I quite like 2020. There are several great wines from every appellation, as well as at all price ranges.

I tasted about 950 wines in total. https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/20 ... ng-report/

Pontet Canet is not in my report, as they did not send a sample, but I tasted it at the property a few days ago. 96 Pts for the curious. I will add the note to my site once I am done with the 2022 vintage. OK, time for my morning espresso before heading out.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Some of my 2020s have arrived already which surprised me, given the long delay with the 19s. Now I just need to find space for them..
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

I only bought a few 2020, I’m too old.
Giscours
Le Gay
Canon
Carmes Haut Brion
Beau Sejour Becot
Brian Pinci
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I bought 3 x 2020 chateaux
Cheval Blanc
Montrose
VCC

They are most likely for my son and grandchildren.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Might be some excellent every day quaffers as this vintage looks solid top to bottom. Or am I in error?

Happy 4th and sorry Brits, tough loss.