Again, the glorious 2016 vintage

Nicklasss

Again, the glorious 2016 vintage

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, had some friends for dinner. I grilled some beef faux-filets on the charcoal. 1 inch thick, on red coal, probably around 1000 F, it was so warm that the steaks were cooked after 1 min per side... and after 15 min rest in aluminium foil, just wow.

We had a few wines. We started with Devaux Champagne rosé that was quite tasty and quite good. Next was the 2020 Jean-Paul Thévenet Morgon Tradition. Mix of red and purple color, nose of cherries, red berries, concentrated, with also good earthy mineral dust. In mouth, tasty, well made, will age well. Excellent for the convinient price. Tn: 90-91.

After, we had two 2016 Bordeaux, and to my surprise, they were both at the same level of quality.

The 2016 Duluc de Branaire, second wine of Branaire-Ducru, was dark red, with a very perfumed nose of blackcurrants, blackberries, light pencil and light spicy oak. Tasty in mouth, very nice fruit, complex, balanced, with some nice bluefruit too, and good ripe structure and tannins. Long and tasty, with that élégance of Saint Julien. Great drink. Tn: 92.

The 2016 Château Lagrange has a more complex and refined nose, with violet flowers, blackcurrants, blackberries, tobacco and also something earthy. Mouth is lighter than the Duluc, with lot of finesse, calm fruits, some smoky blackcurrants, violet flowers, merlot berries. Lighter texture, a bit less structure too, a seductive Lagrange, that drinks like fresh water. Tn: 91.

I'm continuing to like the 2016 a lot, and they don't seem to shut down yet, so thinking they might never shut.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon May 08, 2023 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Re: Again, the glorious 2016 vintage

Post by Blanquito »

Infanticide alert!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That 2016 Lagrange was very atypical I remember when I drank it upon release, almost freakishly light/medium bodied.
I'm not saying it was bad, I liked it, but it was unlike any Lagrange, or 2016 for that matter, that I've had.
Very elegant, delicate. Not typical Lagrange.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Glad the Duluc showed well. I had the 2014 recently and it was solid but very high acid and others didn't enjoy it that much. I'm very curious to see where some of these 2016's go.

I had the Lagrange a year ago and was underwhelmed. Felt like a dumb phase.
William P

Post by William P »

Totally agree with Nic. The 2016 have as yet closed down and remain enjoyable. I suspect this is the new trend in wine making, accessible but with aging potential. What remains to be seen is will it age as projected? I bet that it will. For what it's worth, I was a buyer of the 2016 and don't regret it. In my area, the 2016s were relatively cheap and available.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Nice
jckba

Post by jckba »

A 2nd wine beats a 1st, say it ain’t so.

And I’ve generally been underwhelmed with Lagrange but the 2019 and 2020 did buck that trend when I tasted both at the UGC so I would say without any on the ground knowledge that good things are transpiring over there.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I was a bit surprised too by Nic’s findings…2016 Lagrange is very well reviewed

https://www.farrvintners.com/wine.php?wine=45962
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:06 am That 2016 Lagrange was very atypical I remember when I drank it upon release, almost freakishly light/medium bodied.
I'm not saying it was bad, I liked it, but it was unlike any Lagrange, or 2016 for that matter, that I've had.
Very elegant, delicate. Not typical Lagrange.
The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannins and a fine bead of acidity. (Neal Martin).

and although the tannins are clearly present they are finessed and sappy. A very young wine, but balanced and seductive, with lush cassis and blackberry fruits. (Jane Anson).

Appealing rather than really grand and intense. No one could object to this charmer (Jancis Robinson).

I guess my bottle was more aligned with the palate of these 4 great wine critics...

Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent Lagrange, on a pure and élégant Saint Julien version. But i thought the Duluc was equal or slightly better. Or maybee the Lagrange suffered to be the 4th bottle opened.

I have more, and i think it will stay one of the most seductive Lagrange.

Nic