Haven't had a Bordeaux in ages. TN 1994 Angelus

jal

Haven't had a Bordeaux in ages. TN 1994 Angelus

Post by jal »

Lately, I have been reaching for mainly white Chablis and red St Joseph or just Village Bourgogne so in order to still justify that I belong to this esteemed group, and to celebrate the birthday of my son's fiancée, as 1994 is her birth year, I pulled out a bottle of the 1994 Angelus.

We byo'ed this at a decent Argentinian steakhouse in Tel Aviv. Nice color, fantastic nose of leather and earth, medium weight and quite opulent on the front but there is a bit of a let down after that as the mid palate is slightly hollow. The tannins are all gone now, there is no astringency but there is a nice combination of sweetness and acidity on the short finish. The wine is well made for the vintage but it lacks the depth of the 1995 and the 1989, two of the best Angelus I've ever had.

I rate this 92 especially for the nose and the entry.
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Re: Haven't had a Bordeaux in ages. TN 1994 Angelus

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:20 pm Lately, I have been reaching for mainly white Chablis and red St Joseph or just Village Bourgogne so in order to still justify that I belong to this esteemed group, and to celebrate the birthday of my son's fiancée, as 1994 is her birth year, I pulled out a bottle of the 1994 Angelus.

We byo'ed this at a decent Argentinian steakhouse in Tel Aviv. Nice color, fantastic nose of leather and earth, medium weight and quite opulent on the front but there is a bit of a let down after that as the mid palate is slightly hollow. The tannins are all gone now, there is no astringency but there is a nice combination of sweetness and acidity on the short finish. The wine is well made for the vintage but it lacks the depth of the 1995 and the 1989, two of the best Angelus I've ever had.

I rate this 92 especially for the nose and the entry.
That sums up my experience with Angelus more generally Jacques. I owned some of the 1994 and is exactly as you describe.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Thanks for the tasting notes, Jacques. A good BYO restaurant seems to be a hard find nowadays as well.
jal

Post by jal »

Only BWE'ers named Ian respond :D :D .
Comte Flaneur wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:52 am That sums up my experience with Angelus more generally Jacques. I owned some of the 1994 and is exactly as you describe.
I share your impressions about Angelus, Ian. I liked the 1998 as well, but have stayed away from every vintage since.
Ianjaig wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:27 am A good BYO restaurant seems to be a hard find nowadays as well.
I agree Ian, I am lucky that both in Florida and Israel, BYO is very common in almost every restaurant
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

Sounds like a great bottle, and a most worthy occasion to open it for.