TN: Saint Pierre 2012

Ianjaig

TN: Saint Pierre 2012

Post by Ianjaig »

I'm not sure if there is much love for Saint Pierre on this board or not, but it's a Producer that I've enjoyed more often than not. I opened up a 2012 tonight, tasting notes below:

PNP and this opens up straight away with chocolate, blackcurrants and vanilla, though a little too much oak initially. With the rest of the bottle decanted, the oak settled down to reveal a more balanced and integrated wine: red berries, mushrooms and earthy tones. Medium bodied with decent tannins, this is drinking beautifully now and I'm not sure it will evolve much in time. There is an opulence to this however, that nudges it towards the modern v traditional for me, but still very enjoyable nonetheless.
Nicklasss

Re: TN: Saint Pierre 2012

Post by Nicklasss »

Saint Pierre seems to be a bit under the radar, as we're discussing more about the younger bro, Gloria.

I had the 2016 Château Saint Pierre lately and it is a top wine. Your comments about the oak treatment is right i guess, and i feel like Saint Pierre has same kind of oak integration than the best Rioja wines: you smell and taste the oak, but in a complex well integrated way.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nice note on an estate that I’ve generally found a little too modern leaning for my palate when coming across it at the UGC. The only vintage of Saint Pierre that I own is the 2016 but have yet to broach the case and also own the 2016 Branaire Ducru in multicase quantity as that is my general go to at a similar price point when shopping for an everyday Saint Julien.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Nicklasss wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:45 am Saint Pierre seems to be a bit under the radar, as we're discussing more about the younger bro, Gloria.

I had the 2016 Château Saint Pierre lately and it is a top wine. Your comments about the oak treatment is right i guess, and i feel like Saint Pierre has same kind of oak integration than the best Rioja wines: you smell and taste the oak, but in a complex well integrated way.
Yes, good point and a good reminder as I haven't had any Gloria for a while. The last were a couple of 05s and a 09. Must try some more. Glad to hear that you rate the SP 16 as well, as I have a few of those tucked away.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

jckba wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:50 am Nice note on an estate that I’ve generally found a little too modern leaning for my palate when coming across it at the UGC. The only vintage of Saint Pierre that I own is the 2016 but have yet to broach the case and also own the 2016 Branaire Ducru in multicase quantity as that is my general go to at a similar price point when shopping for an everyday Saint Julien.
Yes, those were my initial thoughts as well re: being a tad too modern, but I wonder if I was too quick to judge. It was noticeable after 5 or so hours in the decanter that it became more classical and fuller bodied. I actually really enjoyed it in the end.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I find Saint-Pierre is a good value wine with a fruity, more upfront style, rather than "modern".

I bought serveral bottles of the 2009 thinking that it would be fine after 10 years, but it still needs time.

Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

It seems like the US market is more fond of Gloria than Saint Pierre, even when the latter is classified, and perhaps more of an 'estate' wine.