Complete Failure; mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Musigny 151

Complete Failure; mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Post by Musigny 151 »

For those relying on me for this summer abstinence thing, rely no longer. I am doomed. Doomed not just with bottles, but bloody magnums. My sins began before breakfast, and continued post first coffee, and ended as I munched on my morning crumpet. It was horrible!!!!

The first inkling was an offer from a UK merchant selling a couple of three packs of Giacosa Riserva 2008 magnums at a great price. No sooner had I bought one, the little devil on my right shoulder started whispering, tempting me to buy the other. God help me! I did.

And then, and then, came another e mail. A shocker, an offer of Magdelaine, but not just any Magdelaine, no, two 1985 magnums with levels into the neck. The 1985 is one of the greatest Magdelaines ever made, and scarce as hen’s teeth. Apparently, some guitarist from Iron Maiden discovered it years ago, bought out the UK allocation and then bought more. Seriously very hard to find, and I have alerts out with every merchant I know.

So my friends, I come penitent, and ask for your forgiveness. I told you when I started, that in the words of Oscar Wilde, I was proof against anything except temptation, and when temptation came it came in large format.
SF Ed

Re: Complete Failure; mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Post by SF Ed »

I'm sure the BD will come in with his judgment, but it seems to me the only way to properly atone would be to share a bottle of the 1985 Magdelaine with BWEers at some point in the future.

SF Ed
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Musigny 151 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:13 am For those relying on me for this summer abstinence thing, rely no longer. I am doomed. Doomed not just with bottles, but bloody magnums. My sins began before breakfast, and continued post first coffee, and ended as I munched on my morning crumpet. It was horrible!!!!

The first inkling was an offer from a UK merchant selling a couple of three packs of Giacosa Riserva 2008 magnums at a great price. No sooner had I bought one, the little devil on my right shoulder started whispering, tempting me to buy the other. God help me! I did.

And then, and then, came another e mail. A shocker, an offer of Magdelaine, but not just any Magdelaine, no, two 1985 magnums with levels into the neck. The 1985 is one of the greatest Magdelaines ever made, and scarce as hen’s teeth. Apparently, some guitarist from Iron Maiden discovered it years ago, bought out the UK allocation and then bought more. Seriously very hard to find, and I have alerts out with every merchant I know.

So my friends, I come penitent, and ask for your forgiveness. I told you when I started, that in the words of Oscar Wilde, I was proof against anything except temptation, and when temptation came it came in large format.
Die with your Magdelaine...and your boots on 🤘😜🤘
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

SF Ed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:02 pm I'm sure the BD will come in with his judgment, but it seems to me the only way to properly atone would be to share a bottle of the 1985 Magdelaine with BWEers at some point in the future.

SF Ed
Sorry, nice thought, but reserved for my wife, me and two straws.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Musigny 151 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:40 pm
SF Ed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:02 pm I'm sure the BD will come in with his judgment, but it seems to me the only way to properly atone would be to share a bottle of the 1985 Magdelaine with BWEers at some point in the future.

SF Ed
Sorry, nice thought, but reserved for my wife, me and two straws.
Does Zalto at least make some nice hand blown straws for this endeavor?
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Our motto is Magdelaine for peasants. Our one concession to good taste will be that the straw will have a blue rather than a red stripe. So it will be a straw ordinaire I am afraid.
marcs

Post by marcs »

This post gets five stars for just the Magdelaine-Iron Maiden connection. British rockers have good taste!
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

marcs wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:00 pm This post gets five stars for just the Magdelaine-Iron Maiden connection. British rockers have good taste!
Not sure about that. Think Sharon Osborne. :D
NoahR

Post by NoahR »

I remember when those 2008 Riservas came out. 2008 was the year that Galloni turned on Bruno. Rated them super low and disappointing. Was a bold, make-or-break move for him. Bruno was really starting his health decline. Drama erupting with Dante and Bruna, Dante leaving, etc.

Hopefully the wines outperform the (negative) hype!
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I saw the Galloni piece, and have tasted the wine. He is seems a bit of an outlier among his peers. Not a fan of his palate, but I am glad I have tasted it, to make up my own mind.

It is very good, but perhaps not on the same level as the 2001.