Rhônes with Jeff

JimHow

Rhônes with Jeff

Post by JimHow »

Much thanks to Mr Leve for inviting me over to his beautiful Los Angeles chateau this past week, I’m rudely forgetting the name of his co-host, I hope I didn’t bore her too much with stories of Alaska and homicide clients. Jeff uncorked a couple of beauties in the back yard, they were singing with the Chinese food. It was great to meet the legend, a historic event! It was a lot of fun.
Attachments
IMG_2175.jpeg
jckba

Re: Rhônes with Jeff

Post by jckba »

Nice, seen Jeff’s park like property on Insta and what is that, a Lafite and Cos in the background to the left of the stove?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

No, no way! Tell us more Jim. Do J. Leve rated those two Rhône wines 98-99 points?

No Bordeaux wines at all?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nicola, BWE is about the people, not the wine.
I was in LA last week and popped over for a quick dinner.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:16 pm Much thanks to Mr Leve for inviting me over to his beautiful Los Angeles chateau this past week, I’m rudely forgetting the name of his co-host, a historic event! It was a lot of fun.
Jim, it was a pleasure sharing some wine and conversation with you. The co-hosts you forgot were Cathy and how can you forget Auggie?

Yes, I know, not a single bottle of Bordeaux was opened. I thought Jim drinks more than enough Bordeaux, so why not open wines he has fewer opportunities to taste? And both bottles were just great. Sorry, I could not cook, but we had guests the night before, and two days later we had company from New York coming, so our kitchen was closed. Hopefully, next time.

Jim, you are welcome anytime! And it is an easy visit. Not only do I have a few bottles of wine, but I am OK discussing constitutional issues...
Last edited by Jeff Leve on Mon May 15, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I always like to serve wines which people are less familiar with - how did you like the two rhones Jim?

I served the exact same Chateauneuf to Mr Vino when he and Peggy came to London last year but mine was a 2009 and a bit young.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:08 pm I always like to serve wines which people are less familiar with - how did you like the two rhones Jim?

I served the exact same Chateauneuf to Mr Vino when he and Peggy came to London last year but mine was a 2009 and a bit young.
Glad you also like Marcoux VV Ian. Great choice. I really like how the 2009 is showing today. Of course, YMMV.

Yes, obviously I agree. Why offer a guest the same wine they already know and taste? I think it is more fun and interesting exposing them to something new.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

The regular bottling of 2009 Marcoux is no slouch either. I believe we decided at our London dinner that the 2009VV was excellent but would improve.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jay Winton wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:31 pm The regular bottling of 2009 Marcoux is no slouch either. I believe we decided at our London dinner that the 2009VV was excellent but would improve.
Jeff I purchased the 2009s at a good price after sampling a sensational 1990 Marcoux VV earlier last year. What a wine that was…
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Both wines were sensational, they are Jim How kind of wines, even if not Bordeaux. That Marcoux VV was really smoking, but that's not to diminish the d'Ampuis, which was rich and opulent but certainly not over the top. I never cease to be in awe of the generosity of BWE, Jeff is yet another example of how an assertive Internet personality ends up being totally fun, friendly, and generous in person. Amazing friendships here! Yes of course, Jeff, please thank Cathy for her kind hospitality to an old country lawyer codger like me, and Auggie, ah he is a beauty, I think we made some big leaps in his training that evening.

My schedule in the great city of Los Angeles was very tight but I'm really glad I was able to get out to Bel Air for a couple hours, it was a great evening! I've never really spent much time in L.A. but I look forward to my next visit, I definitely enjoyed the vibe!
marcs

Post by marcs »

For future reference in case I am a guest at someone’s house, wines I do not know and taste include:

Petrus
Le Pin
Ausone
Lafite
Margaux

Just in case LOL!
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:18 am Both wines were sensational, they are Jim How kind of wines, even if not Bordeaux. That Marcoux VV was really smoking, but that's not to diminish the d'Ampuis, which was rich and opulent but certainly not over the top. I never cease to be in awe of the generosity of BWE, Jeff is yet another example of how an assertive Internet personality ends up being totally fun, friendly, and generous in person. Amazing friendships here! Yes of course, Jeff, please thank Cathy for her kind hospitality to an old country lawyer codger like me, and Auggie, ah he is a beauty, I think we made some big leaps in his training that evening.
Let me know when your next visit is planned and I will hopefully find another bottle to share that you might find drinkable. All the best. Auggie and Cathy say hi!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:54 pm Jeff I purchased the 2009s at a good price after sampling a sensational 1990 Marcoux VV earlier last year. What a wine that was…
A lifetime ago I tried that 1990 too, very memorable wine. Did they just bottling their grapes around then, or am I conflating them with some other grower?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Amazing that you mention that, Arv, the one time I remember drinking a Marcoux was when you brought one to a dinner many years ago, I thought of you when Jeff uncorked his bottle the other night.
AKR

Post by AKR »

wow. I think I have a magnum of the 2010 to denote the kids arrival, but doubt I have any other years nowadays.

I think this is one of these wines where they must have started estate bottling approx 1990 or so; never really hear of old vintages.