The Wine Buying Gods are Cruel and Capricious

Blanquito

The Wine Buying Gods are Cruel and Capricious

Post by Blanquito »

(Wine Buying Freeze) Pride goeth before the Fall...
Attachments
IMG_4545.jpg
IMG_4544.jpg
Blanquito

Re: The Wine Buying Gods are Cruel and Capricious

Post by Blanquito »

And more...
Attachments
IMG_4546.jpg
AKR

Post by AKR »

Are those the same 1990 Rauzan Segla's you poured for us a few years ago in Napa? That was a lovely example.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:37 pm Are those the same 1990 Rauzan Segla's you poured for us a few years ago in Napa? That was a lovely example.
The latest re-load! I was all out, I think that was my last bottle (until today!) of the 90 R-S.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nice haul Blanquito! Those 95s are really starting to drink well now. I had a Clinet the other day which was surprisingly good.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Some damn goodies though. How much were you able to swing the 90 Rauzans for?

Speaking of 95's, I just had the 95 R-S last week and it was quite good. Although the 01 Pichon Lalande inched past with air, then blew past it.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I plan to try an 95 Ducru soon, and perhaps a PLL. And I am excited to try a Sancerre rose, not sure I've ever had a rose from the Loire (cab franc?).

Joel, the 90 R-S cost $115 all-in.
Last edited by Blanquito on Mon May 22, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Liked all of the additions but perhaps the last pic best with the Francois Cotat Sancerre Rose as that is a top notch Rose for me (as well as for Jay Miller) and generally demands bottle age to begin unfurling its complexities. Had a btl of the 2018 in a Rose tasting I assembled for my 3rd Tuesday group in the city and it had lovely buttered lobster / crab aroma that was so unique along with plenty of minerality on the palate. It’s just too bad the price is exploding in this country as you can find these for 30-35E relatively easily in France.
jal

Post by jal »

I second JC's selection of Cotat. Also, Jean-Maurice Raffault makes a great rosé, so does Lucien Crochet.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

If you’re gonna fall off the wagon, that’s the way to do it!

Q about the Cotat Chavignol: what’s that silver-colored band? Is it an external ring or inside between the cork and wine? If the latter, what’s it made of and what’s it do?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:41 pm If you’re gonna fall off the wagon, that’s the way to do it!
I think I crash-landed the wagon! I even might go back and buy the rest of the Ducru and PLL.

DavidG wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:41 pm Q about the Cotat Chavignol: what’s that silver-colored band? Is it an external ring or inside between the cork and wine? If the latter, what’s it made of and what’s it do?
That is actually an optical illusion, that's just the headspace between the wine and the cork, but in the photo it really does look like a silver band.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:02 pm I plan to try an 95 Ducru soon, and perhaps a PLL. And I am excited to try a Sancerre rose, not sure I've ever had a rose from the Loire (cab franc?).

Joel, the 90 R-S cost $115 all-in.
Wow. That is an insane steal. I was more than happy with the 170 I paid a couple years ago. Been on the lookout since but always seems to be well over 200. Well done. Might have to come out to Denver and help you with one..

I have one of those sancerre rose from 2015, will report back this summer.
ericp

Post by ericp »

Wine buying freeze? Lol

Great deals all around, can’t go wrong with LB, Ducru or PLL! I have a few 95/96 PLLs I’ve been sitting on - but haven’t had one in at least a Blanquito.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The prices on all of these bottles were irresistible, set so low (ranging from 50% to 75% of current market value) to make a mockery of any supposed restraint or free will I thought I had. I am but a pawn in the game of the wine gods, a Shakespearean micro-tragedy, doomed by destiny to fail and fail, ‘til bankruptcy takes us all.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Blanquito,

Some great wines to crash through the freeze with.

As far as I remember from our visit there are only two varietals grown in Sancerre, Sauvignon blanc and Pinot Noir not cab franc in that rose fyi.
Danny
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

dstgolf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:31 pm As far as I remember from our visit there are only two varietals grown in Sancerre, Sauvignon blanc and Pinot Noir not cab franc in that rose fyi.
Good to know, Danny, and honestly a Pinot-based rose sounds much more appealing than a cabernet franc one!