UGC visits Singapore - 2020 vintage.

Claudius2

UGC visits Singapore - 2020 vintage.

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks
Wednesday went to a big UGC tasting here. About 50 odd wines were on tasting and my strategy was to not hurry thru them so in the end I could not try all of them.

I’ll post more notes later but at this stage I’ll talk about the style. I’ll make some reference to 2019, a vintage I really like.

2020 was undoubtedly a very good to excellent vintage. Unlike 2019, it is a very fruit forward vintage and the differences between villages was pretty evident. As such 2020 is an even vintage without any villages that underperformed.

I have written on a few occasions that 2019 is arguably better in the left bank, and that Pomerol is the best right bank region. The 2020 right bank wines were delicious. I have to say that at this point in time, they shine brightly with lots of fruit, measured oak, tannins and acid. Even the less expensive wines were very good, though the top wines were outstanding with wonderful balance and purity. Maybe they will close down some time but for now, I’d happily sip down a bottle with a nice steak. The less famous wines were not as deeply coloured but were very drinkable. There were good wines here across the villages and price points.

The left bank wines were more structural though with good balance. Acid and tannins were more evident and these wines )with a few exceptions) will need some time.

I cannot rationally split the left bank appellations. There was plenty to like from Pessac to the Bas Medoc, the more northern villages seemingly tigher and more serious. I would however say that 2020 is not better than 2019 in the Medoc and maybe St Julien is the star in 2020. Yet this is just a cross section of wines at one time. The only village that I will say is better in 2019 is Margaux. They did not seem as fragrant in 2020 but may just need more time.

A personal favourite was Canon. This wine had the fragrant, rich fruit that showed thru in the right bank, though had more structure, savoury characters and power than most others. This wine will last a long time. It has been some time since I have tried this wine but it had me looking up prices after the tasting,

I’ve never had a taste for white Bordeaux largely as I don’t think much of Sav Blanc. And I still don’t though I did try six Blancs. Would I buy them? No chance but they taste a lot better to me than the stuff from NZ. It’s funny. I seem to have given up on all whites except Chardonnay. And from Burgundy and Australia. Even lost interest (for now) in Riesling and Hunter Semillon.

TBC
AKR

Re: UGC visits Singapore - 2020 vintage.

Post by AKR »

As manufactured/commercial/industrial as NZSB can be -- just watch some of the Amazon Prime / Netflix documentaries on them - I do think they have actually helped make other regions versions of the varietal a little better. Even Entre des Mers or basic Graves blanc are better today than what I remember a generation ago, when unripeness/grassiness/skinny were are all just expected and tolerated.

Maybe the Kiwis just copied Denis Dubordieu so well, that his own neighbors realized the path forward only when they saw it somewhere else!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks,
My notes on the wines - in the order I tasted them - is as follows:

1. White Bordeaux

Carbonnieux
65% SB, 35% Semillon.
Tangy nose and palate, some fruit depth and interest.
There is some lemon, honeysuckle and vanilla.
Not bad at all - ***

La Louviere
100% SB (worse luck...)
Lighter colour, more grasssy, lemony notes on the nose.
Crisp and dry, more obvious green apple and grapefruit, some grassy herbaceous characters. I tend to think of nettles.
it is okay but not for me. **1/2

Malarctic Lagraviere
80% SB, 20% SEM.
Seems more interesting on the nose - tight, tangy aromas with some lanolin and spice.
The palate showed more complexity with citrus, green apple, spice and pear.
There is a slight smoky character here, suggesting a fume blanc style.
I preferred this to the previous two. ***1/2

Olivier
79% SB, 29% SEM, a tiny bit of Muscadelle.
Lemongrass and nettles on the nose.
The palate is tangy and fresh, firm acidity and dry finish.
Some others will like its tangy fruit but it isn't for me.
**1/2

Smith Haut Lafitte
90% SB, some SEM and Sav. Gris
A more golden colour with a smoky, citrus nose.
Richer than the wines above, it has some power to match the tangy, lemony fruit. Some lanolin, smoke and peach.
I'd keep this wine for some time as there is some depth to it.
***1/2

Overall, these wines are (to moi) more enjoyable than say, Marlborough SB.
Happy to drink them occasionally, but 99% of the time I'd prefer white Burgundy.

St Emilion
Of the reds, I tried these first, leaving the left bank until later.

Valandraud
A very good, complex and intense wine.
Very dark black/red to the rim, with a powerful, fruity nose of all sorts of fruits.
There is some smoky, vanilla oak on the nose and plummy richness.
The palate shows sweet fruit (plums, black an red berries), a chocolate/mocha character and vanilla.
It is a "modern" style of St Emilion (I may have guessed Pavie) but still a very nice wine.
Full bodied, lowish acid, grainy tannins and a long finish. It is pushing the edges of being overdone but succeeds.
Excellent wine. ****1/2. traditionalists may disagree.

TrotteVielle
Seems like a different style after the Valandraud.
Quite a diferent fruit profile. the colour is more black red without the pinky/purple colour of the wine above.
nose is classically St Emilion with plum, raspberry, mineral and oak.
Tighter, cooler wine on the palate, it has lots of fruit characters with a touch of savoury, herby notes.
Some mocha characters emerged as i sipped it, though it remained quite tightly wound.
Good acid balance and a very nice long, dry finish.
Excellent wine. ****1/2

La Tour Figeac
Nice dark red, opaque rim.
Typical St Emilion nose with plums, red and black fruit, and a soft, floral and musk character.
The wine is medium bodied, quite soft on the palate, with lowish acid and fine tannins.
Some mocha, vanilla and spice with reasonable length.
It wasn't in the class as the two above but is still a very good wine in its own right.
***1/2 to ****

La Gaffeliere
Lighter colour with a thinner rim.
The nose showed more CF character (30%) than most others, with rich, soft red fruit, some spice and herbs.
Medium bodied, with good acid and soft, fine tannins.
More in the red than black fruit spectrum, quite long palate and gentle oak.
I liked this more than the 2019 which was more savoury.
Very good to excellent and should age well.

Grand Mayne
Medium black/red colour, thinner rim.
Nose was a bit fluid compared to the wines above, with soft Merlot fruit (plums, red fruits, a touch of dark fruit) and a floral character.
The palate shows a bit more depth - the fruit is more open with some spice and oak to compliment the fruit. A touch of minerality.
medium body, decent acidity and fine tannins.
I like this wine - if is softly fruity and very drinkable.
Probably drinks earlier than those above.
Very good.
***1/2 to ****

Franc Mayne
Not sure if I have ever tried this - maybe once a long time ago.
A lighter red colour, fading at the rim.
Soft, gentle red fruit nose, some plums and spice, some floral characters.
Quite well balanced, with red and black fruit on the palate, a touch of spice and oak.
Moderate acidity and tannins.
Very good ***1/2

Clos Fourtet

Good dark red colour.
Spicy, fruity nose with some savoury characters.
Nose shows considerable vanilla, mocha and toasty oak, with some savoury characters to offset the sweetness.
The fruit is well balanced and quite powerful, with plums, cassis, anise and red fruits.
This powerful, richly flavoured wine is smooth and long on the palate, showing lowish acid and fine grained tannins.
This wine is more overtly oaky than most, and whilst the rich fruit can be happily sipped away now, I would keep this for some time.
In some ways, similar to Valandraud with the richness, sweetness and oak flavours.
Not a wine for traditionalists, and I have some trouble rating it.
So putting biases aside, it is excellent.
****1/2

[bLa Dominique[/b]
Good dark red colour, quite dense.
Nice fruity nose with anise and spice as well as Merlot fruit.
The plate shoes dark fruits, plum, spice, anise and moderate tannins.
Acid is quite low, giving the wine a round, fruity prolie.
There is some freshness to the sweet, gentle fruit, meshed to well integrated oak.
Quite long finish.
Very good to excellent. ***1/2 to ****
Probably will drink earlier than most with the soft tannins and open fruit profile.

Dassault
Good dark red character.
Nose shows anise, dark fruit, soft oak and a touch of spice.
Rich, ripe palate with mocha, dark fruit and ripe tannins.
Moderate acidity and a soft, sweet and floral profile.
Similar to la Dominique though the wine above is a touch fuller and deeper.
Very good nonetheless. ***1/2

Canon
Dark black/red
Wow, a wonderful nose with all sorts of fruits, flowers, anise, spice, mocha and earth.
It leaps from the glass but shows an aristocratic profile on the palate.
Medium to full bodied, red and black fruits, vanilla, mocha, anise and fine tannins, the wine is seductive and long.
It stood out as the best wine of the flight and the tasting. it shows impeccable balance as well as complexity.
Outstanding wine that showcases the 2020 vintage.
If you don't like this wine, stick to mineral water.

Beausejour Becot
Nice dark red colour.
Nose is sweet, softly fruity and quite open. Quite an array of fruit with some floral notes.
Palate shows an array of flavours, with nice plums, sweet red fruit and cassis. Some mocha and earth, a touch of mineral characters.
Nice texture, smooth and rich in the mouth, a long aftertaste and moderate acidity.
The sweet fruit is balanced by its structure, though it is a real fruit bomb of a wine - but in a nice way.
There is no doubt that the fruit is excellent, though some traditionalists may find it too much of a fruit bomb.
In any case, it is an excellent wine. No idea about ageing - the powerful fruit will last a long time I expect.
****1/2

Larcis Ducasse
Good red/black colour.
Another powerful wine on the nose with an array of flowers, red and dark fruits, some soft oak and mocha.
Slight chalky, mineral notes add freshness and balance.
Good red and black fruits, mocha and earth on the nose, fine tannins and moderate acidity.
Another fruit bomb style though it has enough acid, tannins and minerality to carry it.
Yet it offers good length and texture.
Closest to the Clos Fourtet and Beausejour in style.
Very good to excellent.

Overall, the St Emilions were very good to outstanding.
The lower priced wines offer plenty to like if you don't want to pay a high prices.
The acid is lower than 2019, there is more evident fruit density and sweetness, and lesser spicy, savoury characters.
Yet I have to say, they were delicious to drink and all were nice.
St Emilion excels in 2020 and is better than 2019 - if you can accept the extra layer of sweetness and density.
Last edited by Claudius2 on Sun May 28, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Pomerol
I am not sure why, I just didn't seem to try many Pomerols.
Compared to St Emilion, they were firmer, a bit drier and had more tobacco and earthy characters, without that in your face, open fruit of St Emilion.

Gazin
Dark black/red, not as pinky/purple as most St Emilions.
Quite an explosive nose with a lot of depth.
The palate is firmer, with a touch of tobacco and spice, and good black fruits.
There is some richness behind the fine tannins and medium acidity.
A bit hard to rate now, though it should be excellent in a decade or so.
Keep longer than the St Emilions.

Beauregard
Slightly lighter colour.
Nose was quite floral and plummy, some red fruits and a touch of spicy notes.
the fruit is well balanced and medium bodied, with some tannins and good acid.
The aftertaste is quite long and chocolaty.
very good ***1/2

Clinet
Dark red/black, with a rich, spicy nose with an array of fruit characters.
The palate is richly flavoured, some earth, mocha, cherry and plums.
It was a bit tighter than most other right bank wines, with a touch of anise and inky characters on the long aftertaste.
One of the best wines of the night and needs time to evolve.
****1/2

Rouget

Nice dark red colour, rich nose with dark fruits, some earth and mocha.
Palate is medium bodied, softly fruity and ith moderate acidity and tannins.
A more fruit forward style which should drink earlier than other Pomerrols.
Very good. ***1/2

I also tried Petit Village rather quickly. I did not take notes for some reason. it was pretty good with soft fruit and good balance.
NR
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

St Julien
The St Julien wines were solid performers with plenty of structure and fruit.
I think they will suit both traditionalists and modernists.

Beychevelle
Good red/black colour.
Nose showed red and black fruits, plus more savoury, forest floor aromas, tobacco and dusty oak.
The palate was medium to full bodied, moderate acidity and ripe tannins.
There are quite a few flavours here, and the notable character of the wine was the balance of sweet, silky fruit and more earthy, savoury notes.
The finish is long with a touch of minerality.
Excellent ****1/2

Branaire Ducru

Red/black, atouch lighter than Beychevelle.
Nose offered red fruits plus some earthy, mocha characters and tobacco leaf.
The palate was medium bodied, with soft, gentle fruit backed with some oak and savoury flavours.
Acid and tannins seemed a bit firmer than the wine above.
Nicely balanced and easy to drink.
Very good to excellent ****

Gruaud Larose
Similar dark red/black colour.
Nose was not as expressive as expected - it seemed a bit closed though there are a range of red, black and blue fruits.
medium bodied with nice acid and tannic balance.
It was a bit lighter than I expected and not as compelling, but may be a bit shut down for now.
very good at least without blowing me away.
***1/2

Lagrange
Dark red, with a fruity and savoury nose.
The palate is round and quite soft, with evident vanilla oak, some spicy characters and medium body and length.
Fuit flavours include redcurrants, cassis and plums, giving some softness.
More open than the GL above, maybe more like the style of Branaire (without the extent of mocha flavours).
Very good. ***1/2

Langoa Barton
The 2019 was excellent (the best vintage I've ever tried) and this wine is in the same groove.
Dark red, with lots of tobacco, spice and dark fruit on the nose, good acid balance and integrated oak.
There is more red than black fruits, including redcurrant, cherry and cranberry, plus some cassis and plums.
Well balanced wine that shows me again that Langoa is performing well.
VG to excellent ****

Leoville Barton
A darker colour with a more potent nnoe and a classically styled St Julien.
There more evident oak - smoke, vanilla and cedar, plus good clean fruit characters (red, black, blue).
There is a touch more acid here and the tannins are a bit firmer, suggesting a longer cellar life.
I would not drink this for at least 15 years.
Compared to the Langoa, there are a few extra dimensions though they are quite similarly styled.
Excellent+ ****1/2
Definitely a good vintage and one that does not bow to fashion.

Leoville Poyferre
A more open, modern style but there is still plenty here to like.
Similar dark red/black colour, the nose is more oaky, with creamy, vanilla and anise characters, red and blue fruit.
The palate is quite silky and medium-full, quite supple and smooth, though there is sufficient acid and tannins for ageing.
Long and sweetish finish, the end palate shows some oak and spice.
I liked it quite a lot, though the LB above is a more classically structured wine.
Talbot
Firm and fruity nose with soft, sweet fruit,
The palate offers typical cassis, blackberry and some tobacco, anise and savoury, spicy notes.
Medium bodied, moderate acidity and ripe, supple tannins. Good length with some freshness and balance.
This wine isn't in the top category, but is still very good.
***1/2

Briefly tried St Pierre without taking notes (in a hurry by this time) which was more in the style of Branaire or lagrange,

Margaux
I thought that Margaux excelled in 2019, and whilst this flight showed very well, it was maybe a little behind 2019 based on my taste buds.
Yet it did perform very well, and this apellation has improved so much in recent decades.

Brane Cantenac
I've had a few disasters with this wine over the years and have been reluctant to buy it.
However, this wine showed very well.
Very fruity nose showing lots of sweet plums, red fruits and cassis, some tobacco and earthy notes.
it has both power and finesse, and I was surprised how good it was.
There is less acid and tannins compared to St julien though the wine is very silky, smooth and fragrant.
Medium to full bodied and I just wish the prior vintages of BC were as good.
Excellent ****

Giscours

Again the 2019 was a star of the village, and this wine did not disappoint.
Compared to the BC, it was more savoury and earthy on the nose and palate, with good structure, medium acid and fine tannins.
Quite a classical style, it will last a long time though will drink well young.
I think I'd take 2019 in preference but this is excellent in its own right.

Kirwan
Another wine that has been off my radar and maybe it is worth reconsidering.
The was quite soft, open and fruity, with lots of different fruit flavours and a quite floral nose.
Rich black and red fruit palate with some anise and savoury notes.
Finished quite long and with some mocha oak.
Not as good as the two wines above but very good at least.
***1/2

Lascombes

This is the first vintage of this wine I've had since the (rather poor) 2004.
Nice fruity nose with ripe, round black and red fruit.
There is some firm oak on the finish that needs time to integrate (the 2004 never did).
I enjoyed this wine a bit less than the others but would be happy to drink any day.
*** to ***1/2

Prieure Lichine
This wine is always a good QPR and the 2019 and this wine were in the groove.
The nose shows ripe red and black fruit, a touch of vanilla oak and some tobacco.
Palate is medium to full bodied with nice balance. Moderate acidity and tannins.
It is a bit fuller than the 2019 with its soft, lush fruity profile though is balanced by good structure.
I'd take 2019 in preference with its more classical structure.
Very good in any case. ***1/2

Rauzan Gassies
I have tried this wine on a few occasions and never been that impressed.
2020 is quite successful however and offers an array of fruit, spicy, earthy characters and some oak.
It does show however than RG in on an upward trajectory, and whilst not a great wine, it is very good.
*** to ***1/2
No idea how it would age, maybe less than some others.

Rauzan Segla
A step up from the RG, the colour is very dark, almost impenetrable.
More oak derived flavours on the nose and palate - lots of vanilla bean and mocha.
Richly flavoured - medium to full bodied and medium acid and firm but fine tannins.
This lush and fruity wine will drink well for a long time.
Excellent at least.
**** to ****1/2

Siran
"Only" a CB, it showed quite well. with a nose of red fruits and some spice, anise and mocha.
Similar flavours were evident on the palate, though it is lighter in body than the other Margaux wines.
It shouid drink well in 5 years and can offer pleasure with its nice fruit profile. Good to very good.

Du Tertre
A pretty good wine with a dark colour and red and black fruit nose.
Medium bodied, not as complex as the best from this appellation, though it offers an open, softly fruited profile and a pleasant finish with moderate acidity and a floral character.
Should drink younger than old vintages of this wine.
*** to ***1/2

While I think Margaux was a star in 2019, I think that this vintage was pretty good - there was a lot to like with clean, intense fruit flavours and good balance.

TBC
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the outstanding report Claudius.
It seems like Canon usually shows well at these initial tastings.
Do these wines correlate into greatness after 10-20 years?
Has there been a change in winemaking style at Canon?
Is it too early to assess the more modern Canons?
Is the 2015 Canon drinking at the 100 point level predicted at the early tastings by the experts, including our own Nicola?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

I was running out of time when I lined up to taste Pauillac and St Estephe.
By this time in any case, my taste buds were rather overloaded and I did not think I'd be able to taste much anyway.
So my notes are less reliable and shorter.

Cos Labory
Medium to full bodied, with lots of dark fruit, some redcurrant and firm tannins.
Quite well balanced and tight, there is some oak and spice and quite a long palate.
Reminds me of the 2010 i drank not long ago.
Very good at least. ***1/2
this wine does not get much attention but it ahead of its reputation in terms of quality.
Funny, this wine wasn't actually on the tasting list but it was real....

De Pez
More savoury than most, the dark fruit was pleasant though a touch light.
Pleasant ripe fruit more in the red spectrum, redcurrant, cranberry and some cassis.
I liked the wine but maybe it did not have the intensity of the others and my palate was suffering.
Good to Very good, ***

Ormes de Pez
More complex than the wine above, with red and dark fruit, medium body, and some tobacco, spice and earthy notes.
Very drinkable now and quite open.
Very good ***1/2

Grand Puy Lacoste
The only Pauillac I tried worse luck - missed out on the Pichons and LB.
This wine was tightly wound, well structured and more a classic Medoc style.
The fruit was long and cool, with some savoury characters and spice.
A little monolithic at this point in time, it needs some time to unfurl.
However, it was an impressive wine with some complexity and depth.

A few Pessac Leognan and HM reds:

Smith Haut Lafitte
Very dark coloured - almost solid black with a pink/purple rim. - and with considerable viscosity.
Seemed to be the thickest wine of the tasting.
Nose was smoky, earthy, with lots of fruit.
Palate was rich yet supple and earthy.
Some mocha, spice and dark fruit which is mouth filling and long.
The flavours seem to last for some time. Tannins are ripe and fine.
An excellent wine that will need many years to develop, though to be honest, I'd be happy to pop the cork now and drink with rib eye.
Excellent. ****1/2

Malartic Lagraviere.
Again, a smoky, earthy nose though not as powerful as the SHL.
Quite open and smooth, with dark fruits, some tobacco and mocha, earth and spice.
I was surprised how good this was, and seems to be a value.
VG to Excellent ****

La Lagune
This was I think the last wine I tried, and it reminded me of the 2019 only with more up front fruit.
Medium body, dark red colour and classic Bordeaux aromas - dark and red fruits, cedar, earth and redcurrant.
There is good acidity and ripe tannins, with some grip and length.
A bit bigger than the 2019, the two are equivalent in quality and this should last well.
VG to excellent ****

A few overall comments:

The prices of these wines are well above 2019 largely due to Covid, and many were over-priced by comparison.

There are however many lesser ranked wines that performed very well, particularly in the right bank and central Medoc.

I could not get a clear picture of Pessac?Graves, but the two tried were very good examples at their price points.

Overall, the right bank may have edged out the left, but that is splitting hairs.

St Emilion is clearly better in 2020 than 2019, though overall, they are different but both very good.

Many of the winemakers and marketers suggested that 2020 will need long ageing, and probably more than 2019. Not sure about that, though 2020 can be enjoyed young.

Similarly, some pointed to climate change as the reason for silky, ripe and slightly sweet fruit, rich texture and darker fruit profile these days.

Some traditionalists may find some of the wines, especially St Emilion and possibly Pessac, to be rather modern and international in style.

I also asked a few what they thought of 2022, and they were generally guarded with their words, most saying it is a solid vintage but one that made them work hard. When asked if they were like 2003, the (unsuprising) view was that they are considerably better despite hot conditions.

Cheers
Mark
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

JimHow wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:09 pm Thanks for the outstanding report Claudius.
Is the 2015 Canon drinking at the 100 point level predicted at the early tastings by the experts, including our own Nicola?
Jim
I have been scratching my head regarding the ageing capacity of these wines.
many makers and agents at the tasting were talking up how long they would last, and some said they will last longer than 2019.
I am not convinced - I will remain corrected but Bordeaux that is soft, silky and richly fruity at this age worries me to an extent.
The right bank wines are a rich, silky mouthful now and I I wonder if they will close down soon.
The first few 2019 tastings I went to, the St Emilions were quite open, yet the last showed the structure more than the fruit.
I cannot however see how the ripe, open profile of these wines will be soon replaced by tight, closed wines.
As you well know, I am rather suspicious of fruit bomb wines - they too often end up being disjoint later.

The only vintage that I can compare these wines to is 2009, and maybe 2009 and 2010 on the left bank.
2009 is now open and ready and even 2010 is ready with the exception of the top Medocs.

2020 Canon was a wonderful wine.
Even against other well reputed St Emilions, it stood out.
Yet it was not the fruit bomb style of say, Beausejour Becot for example.
I would bet on this wine lasting a long time as there was a true Bordeaux quality to it.
It is not much like the wine made in the 80's for example (which was excellent in its own way).
maybe the team wanted a wine that would wow the audience early on, as it surely did that.

The consensus among the winemakers and agents was that this is the style we can expect to see more of.
I sometimes feel a few pangs of nostalgia when remembering the old style of Bordeaux, with cooler fruit and lower alcohol.
Some wines were 15%ABV though with maybe one exception too much alcohol heat wasn't on show.
Yet that is what worries me when fruit bomb wines mature - all that fat fruit hides the alcohol.
I DID get too much alcohol in some 2019 right bank wines however, where the fruit was (at this point) not as lush and sweet.
Oak handling was generally very good, the only wine I thought was too oaky was Lascombes.

As an aside, I did a tasting of 50 Burgundies a few weeks ago.
I gave up taking notes after a while and was sometimes shocked at the style of many reds.
Some were simply too sweet and thick for me, and the older guys (like me) would frown and the younger tasters would say how nice and sweet, fruity or open they were. great....

Another region that is now more often than not a complete disappointment to me is Chablis.
With some exceptions, the acid, minerality and stony, steely characters have been replaced by more fruit and sometimes a confected character.

Cheers
mark
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Mark,
Thank you for the notes. Your comparison to 2009 worries me, as even at the initial primeur tastings, they were pretty enough, but lacked any real precision. A few exceptions of course, but in general I was less enthusiastic coming home than the hype would have suggested.

We did taste a few bottles in the last couple of years, and with the exception of Montrose and Figeac, that amorphous quality seemed to dictate the direction the wines were going. Softer, easier to drink, but everything coming together without any real layering. I suspect the 2015s are going the same way. And to give you some idea of my concerns, I sold most of my beloved VCCs from both vintages to buy 2014 and 2016.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Claudius2,

Imho, 2020 doesn't resemble 2009 vintage. Different kind of tannin. I am pretty sure that 2020 will age problem-free after tasting around 75 wines from this vintage last month in Bordeaux. Both banks were equally successful for me. Too many similar wines - not for my taste.

If you want to drink more classic Bx vintage, please visit 2021.

Working hard to finish my report on 2022 vintage - 350+ wines. Next week maybe.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your notes, which are overall pretty positive.

It is interesting to plot price against ratings. Wines such as Carbonnieux, La Tour Figeac and Gazin come out rather well.

All the best,
Alex
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Izak/Musigny
The tannins in 2020 are ripe and fine, and maybe a bit better than in 2009. I have a lot of 2009s in storage (30 to 40 cases) and somehow feel a sense of apprehension about about popping the corks,

One aspect that is better in 2020 is that the less famous wines in 2020 were better. Of the wines I tried, none was less than good to very good. However I tried many wines from 2009 that were rather disappointing. In 2009, you got what you paid for yet in 2020, the less famous wines I tried were all nice.

I think at the higher end, 2009 and 2020 do share similarities with the rich fruit, fine tannins and moderate acidity. My palate however says that at this young age, 2020 is more even and slightly better. Yet overall 2009 is very good despite some failures.

Not sure about 2015. I bought very few and those I’ve tried are pleasant and fruity but they do not seem to have the structure of say, 2016, 2019 or 2020. While 2020 seems open and fruity, there is fine tannins and enough acid to balance them.

Izak
What vintage do you refer to when you say too many similar wines?

I also asked a few makers what 2021 was like, and one said it has somehow become a forgotten vintage though they felt it was good in its own way. So I better read your report on 2021 as I have not given it much thought either.

Cheers
Mark
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Claudius2,

I wrote incorrectly the sentence "too many smilar wines"......

It should have been in this wine - "According to my taste, there weren't too many similar wines in 2020 vintage".

2020 has finer and grained tannin, and the fruit is more vibrant and energetic, than in 2009. I have a very few bottles of 2009 in my cellar.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:09 pm Thanks for the outstanding report Claudius.
Not only me was impressed...

https://m.klwines.com/p/2015-canon-st-e ... rral=False
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

AlexR wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:14 pm Hi Mark,

Thanks for your notes, which are overall pretty positive.

It is interesting to plot price against ratings. Wines such as Carbonnieux, La Tour Figeac and Gazin come out rather well.

All the best,
Alex
Hi Alex
Sorry I did not see this earlier.

I think that the quality of the less famous/expensive wines was excellent.
This is clearly a vintage where you don't have to blow the budget to have a really nice wine.
I did not buy any on indent, though to be honest, I'm well into my 60's as you know and have a lot of earlier vintages, especially 2005, 2009, 2010, 2016 and 2019. I've even bought more 2019's lately including Pontet Canet, Langoa Barton and La Lagune.

The Pessac/Graves wines these days are not what they used to be like. Now again, that isn't essentially a criticism, but they are more fruity, open and fleshy than in the past yet I don't get so much of the regional style of scorched earth, stony characters etc that are renowned here. Carbonnieux seems a pretty good value and one of the few wines I considered buying.

The 19's are quite different to 20 but both I like equally.
The 2020's clearly wow most tasters and for good reasons - they are so softly fruity, so well made and with good balance and are so enjoyable now.
The alcohol levels are in check in most cases, a few did show a touch of heat and that may show thru more with age.
As you know I'm a bit phobic about high alcohol (and I've had too many disasters with such wines) but the fruit is so good that it rarely showed.

I said that 2019 is the real deal, and I still agree with that.
Yet the 2020 wines are not the old school type at all, yet that isn't a fault or criticism in this case.
i think the 19's are now starting to or already are a bit closed down and need some time to open up.
The 2020's I think will continue to be fruity and open for some time and I really wonder if they will ever close.
They were so fruity, it is like they jump out of the glass.
Seriously, I cannot remember a vintage that was so fruity yet balanced and interesting like this before.

I am not biting now.
The prices at the tasting were simply too high. I thought of a few wines though have given up simply as I have more wine than I can probably ever drink.
We plan our lives as if we will live forever though in this case, I hate the idea that I'll die from old age with thousands of bottles in storage or in fridges. Oh well.

cheers
Mark
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

greatbxfreak wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:44 pm Claudius2,

I wrote incorrectly the sentence "too many smilar wines"......

It should have been in this wine - "According to my taste, there weren't too many similar wines in 2020 vintage".

2020 has finer and grained tannin, and the fruit is more vibrant and energetic, than in 2009. I have a very few bottles of 2009 in my cellar.
Okay I think I get it now.
I thought the styles of the regions showed thru pretty well.
The left bank wines were more differentiated however than St Emilion as the style there was so fruity and open - in a nice way.
If you look below the bright, soft and fleshy fruit, you do see the differences in St Emilion though not to the same extent as in the Medoc - though realistically, St Emilion is densely planted with contiguous vineyards. Most of course are smaller than the Medoc Chateaux.

The difference between the right and left bank was clearly manifest and I'm glad I tried the right bank first.
Though I didn't manage my time so well and thus missed out of a few wines I really wanted to taste. Oh well.

cheers
Mark