Recommendation : white wines for the summer

Nicklasss

Recommendation : white wines for the summer

Post by Nicklasss »

Hello.

I'm looking for reasonnably priced dry white, no oak, good acidity. What would you recommend, from any region of the World?

Thank you.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelD

Re: Recommendation : white wines for the summer

Post by JoelD »

Falkenstein rieslings. I'm partial to the kabinetts and spatleses, and not the spatlese feinherb (but many love these). Very high acid.

I've also been really enjoyed dry Loire chenins. No specific producer recommedation but I've been finding good ones in the $25-$40 range. Jckba will probably have some good producer recommendations but I've heard great things about Guilberteau.

Also Savoie wines. Specifically rousette. I've had a few and none have disappointed.
jal

Post by jal »

These are my go to quaffing wines for summer

Falanghina
Friuli/Alto Adige/Veneto
Albariño/Alvarinho
Txakolina
Assyrtiko

Experiment.

For the record, I am not a fan of Muscadet, Rieslings or Northern Rhone, Touraine and Sancerre from the Loire are getting too expensive, Chenin Blanc is a yumm experience but I get bored drinking it more than once a month.
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

On our Spain tour we wandered through many bottles of Verdejos. Refreshing, crisp, citrusy and 11-12% mostly. Some are a little blah but we sampled through enough to find many favourites.

South African Chenin Blanc can be fun if they are dry. The off dry just don't do it for me.

Albarino from most producers are always nice summer poolside sippers.

Prosecco or Cava also delicious, cheap and refreshing. You don't have to break the tank for sure. One we had on Sunday was Fiol, 11%, easy sipping, refreshing, citrusy with bubbles not intrusive.

Enjoy.
Danny
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

I’m into the Italian Timorasso’s now. Nice dry refreshing wine for summer. In fact, I’m going down to Bassins today to pick up some more!
Brian Pinci
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
I'm looking for reasonnably priced dry whire, no oak, good acidity.
>>

Aren't you describing Chablis and Macon, which you know well? Why look further? Do you want more variety?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Why no oak?
What are the arguments against oak in summer white wines?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Try Torrentes if you can find one. A fabulous hump day quaffer with a very modest price...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

An obvious choice: Pépière Muscadet (various cuvees, but the Briords is my fav)

Some others, inexpensive, crisp, authentic...
Pascal Bonhomme Vieilles Vignes (Viré-Clessé)
Domaine de la Chapelle (Catherine et Pascal Rollet) Les Perriers (St Veran)
Enfield Chardonnay Citrine (California)
Guerrin Sur la Roche (Pouilly-Fuissé)
Chateau Carbonnieux Blanc (Bordeaux) (at little pricier but well-worth $35)
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

In general I agree with previous mentions of Italian Pinot Grigio from Alto Adige ($12-$18), Spanish Albariño ($16-$25) and La Pepiere Muscadet ($16-$25) from France.

For Sparkling, I would add Adami Prosecco ($18-$25) and Ruffino Prosecco ($13-$18) from Italy and Saint-Hilaire Blanquette de Limoux ($12-$16) from France.

These are the wines that I enjoy myself and bring to group events outdoors in the summer.

Chris Bublitz
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Chateau Vin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:35 am Try Torrentes if you can find one. A fabulous hump day quaffer with a very modest price...
I'm a big fan of Torrontes as a summer quaffer, but it is pretty low acid. Very floral and juicy.

If you want to try Torrontes, if you make sure it is from Salto (in Argentina) and its the most recent vintage, you'll be fine.

SF Ed
jal

Post by jal »

I also like Torrontes but it doesn't fit your good acidity request. It reminds me of a lighter gewurztraminer.
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We've been exploring the wines from Verdicchio. Evidently the right bankers of the Esino river region are considered superior over the other side. I just purchased a case of Zaccagnini Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico 2021 from Calvert Woodley. B-21 in Florida has some selections as well.
AKR

Post by AKR »

If you care for NZSB, Loveblock is pretty good. It's from the same family that made Kim Crawford (and then sold that off to corporate Constellation, which diminished the quality). The selling family's 10 year non compete after sale ended, and Loveblock in the new venture.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Jay Winton wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:23 pm We've been exploring the wines from Verdicchio. Evidently the right bankers of the Esino river region are considered superior over the other side. I just purchased a case of Zaccagnini Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico 2021 from Calvert Woodley. B-21 in Florida has some selections as well.
Update: sipping on the Zaccagnini as we hole up waiting for the end of the latest climate nightmare. Anyway, I like this wine.
finner

Post by finner »

Back in March I was in Florida playing golf and opened a grocery store wine on a whim. The wine was 2021 Louis Jadot Pouilly-Fuisse. OMG, was it pure deep and long. Still is. Do not miss this. Total Wine has it for like $26.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Even though it is slightly sweeter than those recommended, I like Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris from Alsace. Mose producers have gone to a "richness" (think sweetness) scale on the back label. If not a touch sweetness in the summer, then when?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I tend to drink the same whites in summer as in winter, but more of them. Rieslings, white Burgs and Chardonnays, Champagne, Loire Chenin Blancs. I used to drink "lighter" whites as an outdoor summer sipper, but as I've gotten older and less tolerant of alcohol I've mostly cut that out or stuck to the low alcohol Rieslings.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Up to now, i mainly drink this summer :

Timorasso wine : quite different and after a few sips, find it very interesting and good.

In Italy, many:

Friuli : always complex nice fruity minetally driven wines.

Greco di Tuffo: many style, some were ok/good, other excellent, always < 15 euros a bottle.

Vernecchia di San Gimignano : great discovery, when the wine are unoaked. Less distinctive when oaked.

Vermentino di Toscana : very ok for the price <10 euros. Fresh, green white fruit and herbs.

I remember that some recommended me to have gelato, lot of them in Italy. Very good recommendation, but since i've been there, i have a better recommendation for you : Franciacorta, chill, brut or extra-brut, all good producers (Ferrari, Berlucchi, Bellavista, Baron Pizzini, Arcari E Danesi...). Lot of them, often, for <20 euros.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I had never heard of Timorasso until a trip to Piedmont last Fall.
I became a fan rather quickly!
sisler

Post by sisler »

I am in Sardinia with my two girls, I enjoyed some great Vermentino from the Island. Great stuff during the heat here and quite affordable.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Being low on popcorn wine, I popped a 2007 Trimbach Frederic Emil yesterday while we were watching a movie. If you have to drink a summertime white, this is the way to go.
jal

Post by jal »

The last two weeks in Provence, we just drank rosé
We were not particular,
We bought rosé from Thierry who hosted us in his airbnb - he produces 3 award winning rosé under the label Terres Valdeze, we tried them all. We loved them all.
We bought rosé from the small shop in Cucuron. Some were €4.50, the expensive ones were €7.00 a bottle
We bought rosé from the stand at the weekly Marché Nocturne at La Motte d'Aigues were the cost was a whopping €8.00 but got us 2 plastic cups to go. We drank that bottle with the fun band playing at the Marché.
We bought rosé to drink during every meal (ok, not breakfast), whether in the house or a restaurant, whether we were eating light fare (salad or fish) or heavy (steak tartare, lamb confit). Once we splurged for a 2020 Tempier rosé that cost €45 a bottle in a top restaurant in Cairanne. (That bottle goes for $45-55 retail in the US)
Basically, during the canicule (heat wave in French) we drank tons of rosé. They were all good, they were all cheap, they were all fun. We tried something else a few times, all local wines, all pretty good, whether a Viognier or a Chardonnay or a Grenache blanc blend. We always came back to rosé.
I hear the rosé consumption has gone up by 40% the last few years. That's probably all our fault :D
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think rose is one of those categories that is much better when its consumed locally. It might not have the stuffing to travel.

We had a mass market commercial Chapoutier rose tonight, but we quite enjoyed it all the same.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

AKR wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:59 am I think rose is one of those categories that is much better when its consumed locally. It might not have the stuffing to travel.

We had a mass market commercial Chapoutier rose tonight, but we quite enjoyed it all the same.
Hi Arv. Was it the Marius? If so, i will give it a try.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:02 am
AKR wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:59 am I think rose is one of those categories that is much better when its consumed locally. It might not have the stuffing to travel.

Hi Arv. Was it the Marius? If so, i will give it a try.
No, it was the Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone rose, which comes in screwcap.

I have not seen Marius here in a few years; Costco brought in a load of their viognier once.