Nice weekend wines, including 2016 Grave à Pomerol

Nicklasss

Nice weekend wines, including 2016 Grave à Pomerol

Post by Nicklasss »

Benanti Etna Rosso 2020 is very good. Pale color, a wine on cherries, purple flowers, minerality, a little cinnamon. Well balanced, light but long. Tn: 89.

Domaine de la genillotte Chablis 2020 is well done. Light white fruits, flowers, and shell. It is also a light wine, but thirst-quenching, and a wine of terroir rather than grape variety. Tn : 89.

B de Fonbadet 2019 rated 97 by Decanter... good wine ok, a little more industrial than classic. Concentrated, dark chocolate, dense fruit, but impossible to tell if Cabernet Franc (40%), Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. A little heavy, but for $20, not to criticize too much. But more an 88-89 than 97 points...

Élysa Pouilly-Fumé 2022 is young, intense, lime, leaf, almost coriander. Concentrated palate, nice fruit, some melon, lime, good acidity and length. Good presence in the mouth. Not the finest, but satisfying with poke bowls. Tn : 90.

Also opened a Château la Grave à Pomerol 2016, and that was really beautiful. Very Pomerol, concentrated mauve fruits, blackcurrant, but doubled with freshness. Balanced palate, with a touch of clay, wet soil, and a nice palate of black fruit. Integrated oak and abundant, fine tannins. Excellent and 2016 is really a top and convincing vintage, which does not seem to be closing. Very very nice! Tn : 93.
Attachments
A bunch of good wine, but the Bordeaux was not too genuine.
A bunch of good wine, but the Bordeaux was not too genuine.
AKR

Re: Nice weekend wines, including 2016 Grave à Pomerol

Post by AKR »

Nice. I saw a blurb in a recent WS tasting note for some recent vintage of La Grave a Pomerol, that only *50* cases were brought over for the US market. I rarely ever see current releases, and remember with fondness the era a generation ago when it could be found on the shelf in Manhattan retailers with no effort.
robert goulet

Re: Nice weekend wines, including 2016 Grave à Pomerol

Post by robert goulet »

AKR wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:02 am Nice. I saw a blurb in a recent WS tasting note for some recent vintage of La Grave a Pomerol, that only *50* cases were brought over for the US market. I rarely ever see current releases, and remember with fondness the era a generation ago when it could be found on the shelf in Manhattan retailers with no effort.
5-6 years back the '98 of this blew me away....had it again last year and it had faded.... bummer