Report on 2022 vintage in Bordeaux - at last!

greatbxfreak

Report on 2022 vintage in Bordeaux - at last!

Post by greatbxfreak »

This report took its time, but I've just finished writing it. I checked it several times using Grammarly to eliminate grammar mistakes, misspellings, etc. :D

I know that for some members of BWE, this report will not cause any desire to learn more about the latest Bx vintage because of purchasing stop and high prices. But here it is for those who will know more and have time to read it! It is very long and richly illustrated.

Link - https://greatbordeauxwines.com/vintages ... rom-barrel
stefan

Re: Report on 2022 vintage in Bordeaux - at last!

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Izak. I was struck with how well many "lesser" estates did.

One obvious misprint: Smith Haut Lafitte – 80% Semillon + 20% Semillon.

I did not like that you rated the Nameless Wine so highly and called attention to its value. No doubt your taste buds were out of kilter when you tasted it. ;)
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Stefan,

This with 2 x Semillon is now corrected. Thanks for letting me know about the mistake.

May I ask you, which wine did I rate so highly? Corbin? Beausejour DL? You weren't there when I tasted it. I stay 100% by my TNs.
stefan

Post by stefan »

:D :D If you read more on BWE, Izak, you would know what is the Nameless Wine and why I wrote what I did. :D :D
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

GBF: Stefan loves La Lagune so much that he criticizes it in hopes that prices will go down.
stefan

Post by stefan »

DELETE YOUR POST, BD! He who names the Nameless Wine is condemned to everlasting damnation! As a card carrying Papist, thou shouldest know that.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Stefan
Well the nameless wine did very well in 2019 and 2020 as well.
Cheers
Mark
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Thanks a lot to BWE for these many insightful comments concerning my report on vintage 2022.

It's a real pleasure to see how nice my work is appreciated.

(The above sentences can be an irony).
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Great report Izak. A comment and correction. First Angelus rating 89-99pts seems a typo. Using the word sappy in many of your descriptions for me is a detractor and off putting term. I'm not sure if this is an interpretation error or you truly mean thick, syrupy, extracted or pine tar??
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Great complete report GreatBxFreak, that give lot of information on 2022 wines. I just read also the short summary of Georgina Hindle (Decanter) on 2022, and basically, very aligned with yours.

I don't buy as much as before, but will surely buy a case to have a view on the vintage. In term of the vintage, i'm looking for more "classical" wines (not flashy, too ripe, or flattering, more wines that have dark fruits, good complexity and structure) but that will drink well after 15 years. Which 2- 3 Château would you recommend?
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

dstgolf,

Damn, God knows how many hours I have used for the correction! Thank you for pointing it out.

For me, sappy is like Collins English Dictionary says:

1. abounding in sap, as a plant · 2. full of vitality and energy

or equivalent to "juicy".

Thesaurus.com has a different opinion on the meaning of the word sappy.

As I mentioned before, I use Grammarly Pro to correct mistakes. And it doesn't suggest a replacement word for sappy.
Last edited by greatbxfreak on Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Nicklasss,

Beausejour Duffau, Meyney, Phelan Segur, Haut Marbuzet and La Lagune.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Izak do you think these wines will be accessible in the youth or is it a long haul vintage?

Also if you had to rank the 2022 vintage against other recent vintages like 2020, 2019 and 2018 where would it rank?

Does it set a new benchmark or is 2016 still the benchmark?

Well done in getting your excellent report out and good to see Alex featuring in the pictures and acknowledgements
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Ian,

Thanks a lot for the comments.
Izak do you think these wines will be accessible in the youth or is it a long haul vintage?
- difficult to say. I think both and the majority of wines will hold for many years.
Also if you had to rank the 2022 vintage against other recent vintages like 2020, 2019, and 2018 where would it rank?
- another difficult question.

The title of my report says a blend of these three vintages.

I however think 2022 is a little upgrade on 2020 vintage, but it's not great everywhere in Bordeaux, as 2018 was. The latter vintage was stunning everywhere in Bordeaux, and many small appellations did extremely well. I have never tasted so many thrilling wines from Puisseguin, Lussac, Castillon and Montagne as I did in 2018 vintage. It's not the case in 2019, 2020 and 2022.

People call 2018 heavy stuff, and maybe winemakers should have done significantly gentler vinification as they did in 2022. They learn, however all the time. I love 2018 vintage.

2019 is sweeter, lighter, and with really fine elegant tannins. 2022/2020 first place, 2018, and then 2019. The latter looks like to be the cheapest to buy of all four vintages!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

greatbxfreak wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:39 pm dstgolf,

Damn, God knows how many hours I have used for the correction! Thank you for pointing it out.

For me, sappy is like Collins English Dictionary says:

1. abounding in sap, as a plant · 2. full of vitality and energy

or equivalent to "juicy".

Thesaurus.com has a different opinion on the meaning of the word sappy.

As I mentioned before, I use Grammarly Pro to correct mistakes. And it doesn't suggest a replacement word for sappy.
Ahh, language… Izak you are remarkably adept at English, particularly as it’s not your native tongue and wine criticism is so subjective.

Tanzer frequently used “sappy” in the same way. A positive descriptor that I took to be similar to juicy and concentrated, not syrupy or like pine sap.