2009 Monbousquet

dstgolf

2009 Monbousquet

Post by dstgolf »

This has finally turned the corner from an awkward disjointed head scratcher last year to a well rounded delicious St Emillion. Tannins almost resolved with bramble berry plum nose and palate with peppery notes and well balanced at present. A very enjoyable drink at this time which I was suspecting to be disappointed again after 4 very awkward bottles over the previous three years. This has plenty of life ahead and only disappointment is I feel the previous 4 bottles were wasted. The remaining 7 will hopefully bring equal joy of the years to come. No need to rush but this is drinking very nicely now. 94pts
Danny
DavidG

Re: 2009 Monbousquet

Post by DavidG »

Encouraging note Danny. Has Monbousquet dialed back the oak and ripeness since the days of max Parkerization?

I used to be a regular buyer of Monbousquet. Always very reasonably priced and often quite appealing. It tended towards the modern, oaky, jammy/sweet style and as my palate became less tolerant of that I enjoyed them less and less. I think 2005 was the year that finally made me give up on it.

I’m not totally averse to ripe fruit and oak. If they’ve reined it in some it may be time to give them another spin. I see the 2016 available at <$70, hmmm…
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

I agree that the Monbousquet during Parker years was over naked/extracted with 2015 my last vintage as well. When the 2009/10 were released on futures the price was right and I put up a trial balloon with a case each. I was certainly concerned at how disjointed this was early on and up to last year. This one has blossomed in to a well balanced elegant right banker that I'd be proud to share with anyone. A surprise at how well it is showing at the moment. I'd give the 2016 a flyer. I haven't had the 10 or the 14 both sitting in unopened cases. No urge to crack at this time as I have Jim How disease in a lesser degree once the seal is broken!!
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

What is wrong with being over naked, Danny?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

stefan wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:57 pm What is wrong with being over naked, Danny?
I guess it is an auto-corrector problem, as i feel it is over oaked that Danny wanted to write.

But as he probably is writing the word "naked" more often than "oaked" in his regular searches on the Internet, his auto-corrector correct it wrong for his comment here... 😉

And for the story, since the 2002 convention in Napa, everyone know i have not too much problem being "over oaked"...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nicklasss wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:38 pm
stefan wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:57 pm What is wrong with being over naked, Danny?
I guess it is an auto-corrector problem, as i feel it is over oaked that Danny wanted to write.

But as he probably is writing the word "naked" more often than "oaked" in his regular searches on the Internet, his auto-corrector correct it wrong for his comment here... 😉

And for the story, since the 2002 convention in Napa, everyone know i have not too much problem being "over oaked"...
Is Nic bragging about his wood? :D
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow there's an estate I hardly ever see or read about any more.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It used to be popular on here, until they changed the shape of the bottle.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:38 pm

Lol
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:10 am Wow there's an estate I hardly ever see or read about any more.
Yeah, this place really vanished from the consciousness. I remember 15+ year ago when it had all the buzz with some in the connected crowd were even affectionately calling it “Monbo” and Parker was doling out 95 pt scores like party favors.

In a sexy, obvious, ripe (verging overly), exotic style, I really enjoyed the 98 and 00 Monbousquet back in the day. But they didn’t age all that well, a style (at least from that era) better enjoyed young.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Blanquito,

My impressions as well from the 98 & 00 both were more enjoyable early on than the 09. More Parkerised in my opinion and I feel this has returned closure to a very enjoyable St Emillion than a lot from this region. 14 years out and this is finally coming into its own. In my mind that is not necessarily drinking it young and this is not falling off the map any time soon. Just thought I'd bring this one to everyone's attention as it was very talked about here more than a decade ago and seemed to fall out of favour. It may be worth a revisit for some previous lovers. Nothing wrong with talking about naked lovers now is there??
Danny