2022 Bordeaux: my take

AlexR

2022 Bordeaux: my take

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I went tasting the new vintage with Izak Litwar.
I was not in any race against the clock to put my notes on line as my blog is pretty much a hobby, and I don't seek to influence people's buying strategy.
So, rather late in the game by professional standards, I have started posting my impressions, starting with Saint Julien, Pauillac, and Saint-Estèphe.

I have a whole lot of work left to do for the other appellations, but will get there over time :-).

Notes are here: www.bordeauxwineblog.com

Vintage generalizations such as "what vintage does it remind you of?" and "is it more a left bank or right bank vintage" are really not my thing.

Best regards,
Alex R.
greatbxfreak

Re: 2022 Bordeaux: my take

Post by greatbxfreak »

Interesting views, Alex.

I agree with you on some wines, but think that you are holding back a little concerning Haut Marbuzet, Phelan Segur and Meyney. "Superb/excellent" comes to my mind. Lafite imho was as fabulous as Mouton Rothschild.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Izak,

My notes are always more toned down than most people's.

For instance, on *my* 20 point scale, 12 is good, 14 is very good and I rarely go above 17/18.

We are bound to have diverging opinions.
As for Lafie, I was actually being charitable. I found it tremendously elegant, of course, but lacking in oomph.

All the best,
Alex
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Alex,

Still, you use a point scale from the time when men were apes. I miss references to change of the owner, change of vinification, etc.

I chose a different path, trying to put as much info as possible in my tasting notes.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I prefer my system, you prefer yours.
Is it really surprising?
Maybe that's because I'm an apeman.

https://youtu.be/aRHqs8SffDo

The fact is that very few people wade through reams of tasting notes anyway. It's totally stultifying. Still, it is a wondeful challenge to put them together.

Alex
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think it's better to use a letter grading system (A+ down to F) like the schools use. Everyone can understand that. Of course one doesn't have to go to the intricacies like the credit rating agencies use (like Baa- or so)
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Interesting Alex. Thanks for the notes.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Looking forward to your next instalment Alex
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Alex,

Since you almost never comment on my articles from primeur week in Bordeaux, I must comment on your writing. Honestly, I get very little from it, and good, very good, and very good plus ranking is, for me, totally anachronic.

It's tough to compare your notes to mine since you often use some understated terminology.

You should have included minor estates in your reviews as fi. Moulin Riche and Le Crock, which belongs to L. Poyferre. You tasted both together with me at Leoville Poyferre in April 2023.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Izak,

I seet that you are not happy with my blog.

Sorry about that.

I would never criticize yours publicly.

Best regards,
Alex
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Alex,

No hard feelings.

I'm not criticizing your blog; I disagree with you only on 2022 TNs, but that's life and different tasting buds.

Izak
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

greatbxfreak wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:53 pm Alex,

Since you almost never comment on my articles from primeur week in Bordeaux, I must comment on your writing. Honestly, I get very little from it, and good, very good, and very good plus ranking is, for me, totally anachronic.

It's tough to compare your notes to mine since you often use some understated terminology.

You should have included minor estates in your reviews as fi. Moulin Riche and Le Crock, which belongs to L. Poyferre. You tasted both together with me at Leoville Poyferre in April 2023.
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here Izak apart from demeaning a friend. Alex deliberately chose not to use the 100 point, a decision I can completely relate with, as in the hands of most critics, it has become a totally useless tool. Instead he uses Clive Coates’ scale, and gives me the reader a damned good idea of he feels about the wine.

I am afraid I lack the arrogance to say, it is not my scoring system, and therefore you should change yours to make it like mine. I would also add what he chooses to include or not, is his own business, but then you have a nasty habit of telling people what they should do. Not just Alex, but recently demanding Jim H to make changes to the web site.

This board is incredibly easygoing, and the people who frequent it enjoy for its non judgmental approach. I wish for all our sakes you could think nice thoughts before you post.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I had been holding my tongue for days, but I completely agree with Musigny.
Izak’s comments were unnecessary and off-putting.
Please, Izak, do your thing as you see fit and let others do the same.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, I agree, I usually don’t mind people expressing themselves, but Izak you need to stop attacking people just because they have different opinions than you.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

OK. Must have had one or two bad days.

Will try to improve.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I blame all that high alcohol they produce today....excuse my uncle🤪😜