Bourgogne anyone?

Nicklasss

Bourgogne anyone?

Post by Nicklasss »

Another bottle of the very excellent and satisfying 2018
Pierre Gelin Gevrey Chambertin Clos de Meixvelle tonight. Surely one of the top 5 village wine i had.

Anis, concentrated red berries, fennel, minerals, cherries. Creamy and lightly serious in mouth, some dense kirsch cherry without the CdP alcohol! Bramble, medium tannins, vine wood cranberries. Medium length but complex and deliciously Gevrey.

Appetizer was the 2021 Dupèré Barrera Nowat rosé. Well, the top rosé i had in 2023 up to up. Light fruit, light salt, light onion peel, very enjoyable in a convincing way. Can't wait to try their Bandol.

Nice dinner.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexR

Re: Bourgogne anyone?

Post by AlexR »

Bourgogne for me too!

The Burgundians are trying to push for use of the word "Bourgogne" in English rather than "Burgundy".

For instance, the new Cité des Climats et Vins de Bourgogne, spread out over 3 sites (Beaune, Chablis, and Mâcon) only uses Bourgogne in their English texts.
That reminds me of the push to say "Porto" instead of "Port".

Anyway, I think there is nothing more foolish than to say "I love Burgundy, but dislike Bordeaux" - or the reverse.
Hell, there is no reason on God's earth you can't love *both*!

I think that Bordeaux bashing is largely behind us. And with the enormous increase in the prices of Burgundy people are coming back to Bordeaux.

I'm fortunate in that I have decent stocks of Bourgogne in my cellar. I pity people who have only recently begun getting into the good stuff. It's eye-wateringly expensive.

Best regards,
Alex R.