Holidays in Italy

Nicklasss

Holidays in Italy

Post by Nicklasss »

In Roma. We enjoyed that wine last night, that was fresh, with almonds, light peaches and white flowers. Vety enjoyable.

We also had a 2021 Cesanese del Piglio, a bottle at 5 euros, that was very good with it cherries, little animal style and character, with anise and mineral.

A Rosso di Montepulciano of the same price was so boring and neutral, the ladies want to keep it to do sangria.
Attachments
Nice recommendation from the consellor in the cellar
Nice recommendation from the consellor in the cellar
JCNorthway

Re: Holidays in Italy

Post by JCNorthway »

Enjoy your trip, Nic. And do provide updates from time to time.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Have a great trip, Nic! Post some cool pics of non wine related activities too!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

This is sincerely as good as basic Champagne cuvée... for 20 euros. Wr'll open some unknown white later.

Bought a 2021 Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo from Emidio Pepe, to try this week.

Only the second day
Attachments
Excellent mousseux from Franciacorta
Excellent mousseux from Franciacorta
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

As a fan of geography, i really liked the "Italia geographic room" of the Vaticano today.
Attachments
Nice ceiling, with geographical painred maps on the walls.
Nice ceiling, with geographical painred maps on the walls.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Are the wines better in their country vs when exported? Good question. But tonight, these two wines are just outrageously good.

I'm happy we're going to Castellare di Castellina when we'll be in Tuscany. This 2020 tonight was extremely linked to my conception of Chianti : violet flowers, cherries, light ashes, more fruits. Drinkability incredible, superb with the pizza capricciosa.

The Castello di Verduno Barbaresco is also very genuine to it DOCG. Strawberries, wet cherries, kirsch, tar, dark flowers, black licorice, light cinnamon. Mouth is fresh and acid, but filled with complex nebbiolo fruit, medium power, and complex rocky smoky minerality. Already great , and for long.

We save money drinking extremely well here.

Ah yes, the olive oil, kind of mid price point grocery stuff is... great! Lot of it on good or great bread is completely worthwile.

Ciao.
Attachments
Do I want to die in Italia? I'm starting to think the y...
Do I want to die in Italia? I'm starting to think the y...
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

If I were to live in another country, it would.be Italy.

AR
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

We're drinking quite well here in Rome. Many wines, lot of different bubbly cuvées from Ferrari all good. Cheap whites are more a jeopardy, but a bottle of the 2022 Venica Talis Pinot Bianco was the very best wine i had from the grape, on a dense mineral and very fruity style, but very balanced at the same time.

And now, a young wine from a legend, and if you're tired of heavy modernized wines, this is the opposite, so "artisanal and traditionnal". Light medium red color, complex nose of cherries, old strawberries, forrest floor, light chocolate, light horse, and spicy cinnamon stick. In mouth, light to medium, with old ripe cherries, grape, minerals, with lot of freshness, long final of red apple peal, dark red strawberries, and redish flowers. The final is amazingly long, and some red berries and black licorice. Well, thank you the Pepe family.
Attachments
Did you say traditionnal wine? How many producers are still believing in that classic artidan wine?
Did you say traditionnal wine? How many producers are still believing in that classic artidan wine?
Last edited by Nicklasss on Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

BTW, MC was not drinking that much red wines anymore. Now she has hope, as she liked very much 50 % of red wines opened here...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like an amazing trip Nicola!
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Pepe's wines are so great. They are goofy expensive in the US but the early drinking ones like you had that don't get officially exported when in Italy is fantastic.

When we are in Italy Lisa will drink Pepe just about the exclusion of everything else regardless of region if it is available.

Ed
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

From that Pepe wine, i guess Lisa and you are right Ed. I think i will bring back a bottle of Pepe wine to Canada. Maybe i'll go for the Montepulciano d'Abruzzo?

By the way, i tried to have a reservation at one of your recommended restaurant, but i was tou late.

And many thanks to MichaelP, for the recommendation about Franciscan/Capucins bones cemetary, and the Rome catacomb visit. Wow, unusual, amazing, and my two daughters won't sleep for 1 or 2 nights...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:06 pm Sounds like an amazing trip Nicola!
I thought you were coming here Jim, the week before us. But i guess the trip to Tokyo changed your plans. This was surely as amazing as Rome.

But i have to say, Rome, the "Eternal City", is quite something. Food, wines, art from the past, tremedous historic stuff and statues everywhere... what a place!

Getting out of Colloseo metro station to have the colleseum directly "in your face" : priceless!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes we are pushing Rome off to October, Nicola, Tokyo was amazing. Trip of a lifetime, hoping to find the time to post a report and pictures.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

We're now in Scafati, near the Vesuvia.

Picture of MC and me, with volcano in background.

Sunset on the Vesuvia.

And having Cappucino this morning, at 10:30, where it is 33 Celsius in the shadow.

Last night, Barbaresco was big and structured for a 2017. Very good with flowers, spicy cinnamon, strong ripe red currants. More blue fruit, licorice, ashes in mouth.
Attachments
See above
See above
See above
See above
See above
See above
See above
See above
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Magical view Nic. Great way to spend your family honeymoon and building lifelong memories. Marriage is looking good on you!! :D
Danny