What would be a criticism of 2016 Labegorce? I can't find one.

JimHow

What would be a criticism of 2016 Labegorce? I can't find one.

Post by JimHow »

There was a reason why I bought a case of 2016 Labegorce, and it is borne out by my lone remaining free bottle on my wine rack, what a pleasant surprise, I had THIRTEEN bottles, one extra, I could drink this wine tonight after a wild week while still leaving my remaining case untouched (for another 5+ years). I mean, I haven't looked on cellar tracker or anywhere else on what any criticisms may be about this wine, to me, I'm struggling to find any flaws. It is 13%, i.e., unusually balanced by today's standards, still youthful but so full and rich and representative of 2016. I would DARE anyone to put this up against Chateau Margaux and/or Pavillon Rouge in a blind tasting. I dunno, I think this wine is a stunner, showing no age in its deep rich Margaux purple, I've got it easily at the 94 point mark now at age seven, I've got nothing here telling me that modern winemaking is interfering in any way with the quality, to the contrary, this wine is fresh, ripe, balanced, fragrant, very much Margaux, with an obvious but not in any way obnoxious nod to the benefits of modern techniques. Two thumbs up at age seven. Give it another five years, then drink it over the next decade. Lovely. I am thrilled to have a sealed case sitting there in my cellar. Ah 2016. Greatest Bordeaux vintage ever? In my book... Yes. Rating: 94 points.
JCNorthway

Re: What would be a criticism of 2016 Labegorce? I can't find one.

Post by JCNorthway »

Sounds lovely. I do not have the 2016, but do have a case of the 2015, which I hope is nearly as good as your experience. I think this producer may be flying under the radar in Margaux from what I have read in recent years.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think the confusion around mergers/names and so on has suppressed interest/market prices.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Nice note, Jim and couldn't agree more. I remember this standing out at a 2016 tasting I went to. Glad to have some tucked away.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2016 baby!
The wines aren't shutting down, sign of a very great vintage...

From your report the Labėgorce seems very solid.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I had 2014 version few months back and it was a dandy.

Need to get 2019s from our Costco...
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nice Jim, I still have an '05....I remember loving it way back.

'16 will def. be a historic vintage....the '16 Marzy Pomerol I consumed yesterday had only 13.5% alc. Nice little drinker that will def.improve over time