Makes a change : a wonderful but young Barolo

Musigny 151

Makes a change : a wonderful but young Barolo

Post by Musigny 151 »

I have been drinking a lot of Bordeaux lately, a few Burgundies but not much else. Bought some magnums in the UK, but had a couple of bottles here, so thought I would brave the heat and try one. Glad I did.
2008 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto Le Rocche del Falletto Riserva
A young pup indeed, but an extraordinary wine in the making. Quite bunched up, but knowing this needed time, I decanted it mid morning and tasted throughout the day, marveling at how slowly but beautifully it unfurled. All the markings of great Barolo, smoke and anise but highlighted by a gorgeous underpinning of rose petals. Finish long and layered.

I think Galloni was not a fan; not sure if he tasted an off bottle. This is serious stuff, and I am glad I have a few bottles which I hope I will be able to taste at maturity.
Comte Flaneur

Re: Makes a change : a wonderful but young Barolo

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Sounds promising Mark. I picked up some Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano 2001 at auction recently at a bargain price so looking forward to giving one of those a run out in the paddock

Wine prices really softening here in Blighty
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good to hear they make good wine at Giacosa still even after Bruno's passing.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:21 pm Wine prices really softening here in Blighty
I've not noticed this in the States (yet). Of course, the go-go days of the 2021 auction market in the USA hasn't returned, but I haven't seen any systematic lowering of wines over here.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

:cry: It amuses me to think that a 2008 could be called young ;-).

It's all a matter of perspective. And, yes, I know that Barolos need age, sometimes lots and lots of it.

That's somewhat of a handicap commercially, and in the same way that there was a turn towards "modern" Bordeaux, winemakers in Barolo and Barbaresco are picking riper grapes and changing their winemaking methods to produce wines that are more user-friendly earlier. It's a major movement there.
I applaud this so long, of course, as the wine's essential nature is not altered.

Rule of thumb: I figure that about 97% of Bordeaux red wines are in their drinking window after 20 years. I am far less familiar with the best Piedmont wines, but when I visited the region last year, people there said that you can start drinking them 6 and 7 years after the vintage.
When I see tasting notes for Barolos 50 and 60 years old, I kind of shake my head.
Who can age wines that long?
And while I can relate to the wonderful nose of such wines, I invariably find they lack fruit and vitality on the palate.

All the best,
Alex R.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

LOL Alex, it is all about perspective. We ordered a 2016 Produttori (the regular Barbaresco) at a local restaurant earlier this week. The 20-something server came out to present the bottle and commented that it was “a really old wine.” BTW, it was delicious with about an hour of air.

We had a 1947 Borgono Barolo last year. Just as you say, it lacked fruit and vitality. Those were replaced by a fascinating and captivating melange of complex aromas and flavors. There was a clear connection in my mind between the fruit of yore and what was in my glass, on my palate, and all up in my olfactory grille. Most at the table didn’t like it. No problem, more for me!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

The French say "Comparaison n'est pas raison".

But...

When I think about ageing wine, I think about US presidents.

US presidents?

Well, if it's a choice between a John F. Kennedy or a Joe Biden, I'll take the former.
The young guy full of spirit and punch, as opposed to the old guy who has experience, but not the vitality.

As for Donald Trump, the drink this conjures up is hemlock...

Alex R.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

AlexR wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:14 pm The French say "Comparaison n'est pas raison".

But...

When I think about ageing wine, I think about US presidents.

US presidents?

Well, if it's a choice between a John F. Kennedy or a Joe Biden, I'll take the former.
The young guy full of spirit and punch, as opposed to the old guy who has experience, but not the vitality.

As for Donald Trump, the drink this conjures up is hemlock...

Alex R.
No bread and water and the rest of his miserable life in solitary confinement